Sign in with
Your question

HELP WITH DUEL MONITORS!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 1, 2012 4:31:39 PM

Hello, I am a bit of a nweb to all this computer stuff but i will tell you my situation anyway. I wanted to set up duel monitors and looked in a lot of places to find out how to do so. I then bought a Nvidia GeForce graphics card, and after a bit of trouble managed to get it to work. I installed the drivers and all was working well. It has a VGA port, DVI, and HDMI. I had to wait a few more days to get a VGA to DVI converter/adapter (VGA male to DVI male), and when i did, i plugged the other monitor into the desktop. However it does not seem to respond, not even recognise the other monitor. Doe's anybody have a clue to what I am doing wrong?
The two monitors are of different size but i don't think that makes much difference...I am also running windows vista, so if anybody has any directional tips on the software, that is where i am at.

Many thanks, please respond soon

More about : duel monitors

August 1, 2012 5:06:14 PM

I have tried to do both of these things but as I said it does not even detect the monitor. The monitor acts as if it is not plugged into anything...
a c 108 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 1, 2012 5:14:51 PM

Can you link us(or post the model numbers) to the adapters and monitors as well as video card in use please?

Some new cards ONLY support 1 VGA monitor as that allows for lower costs.
Related resources
a c 160 U Graphics card
a c 99 C Monitor
August 1, 2012 5:41:33 PM

Both links go to the same place.

To get a VGA to DVI signal you need an ACTIVE adapter, not just a cable with those connections. Your monitors should have both VGA and DVI connections or at least one of each. Use VGA to VGA for one and DVI to DVI on the other, should work just fine that way.

You probably want to post the monitor models as well.
August 1, 2012 5:49:50 PM

I apologize for posting the same link :$ http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DVI-I-M-TO-VGA-MONITOR-F-CONV...

The smaller monitor is a Dell...I am not sure of the model, and it is 1024x768. It only has a VGA port, and this is the one i am wanting to attach to my main monitor.

The main monitor is also a Dell, it is 1600x900 and also only has a VGA port...
a c 160 U Graphics card
a c 99 C Monitor
August 1, 2012 5:59:46 PM

OK, that's a DVI to VGA not the other way around. There is actually a difference :-)

That should work, it matches your video card DVI port, DVI-I.

Did you install the drivers from the vendor disk? If you did, try to find the ones for your model from nvidia and install those. Also make sure all the cables are seated properly.
August 1, 2012 6:02:40 PM

I have installed the drivers that the Nvidia website gave me, and as I say the VGA port is working perfectly. And i am pretty sure the cables are okay, I have two adapters and have tried them both in both of the monitors aswell...
a c 160 U Graphics card
a c 99 C Monitor
August 1, 2012 6:07:50 PM

You need to check if the DVI port is OK, any way you can find a monitor with DVI to test with a straight DVI cable? If you tried both adapters on both monitors, you are kinda stuck with further testing without a DVI connection to test. Also see if it will work with only the DVI connection hooked up, no VGA.
August 1, 2012 6:23:37 PM

No, it does not work with only the DVI, and still acts like it did before, not even recognising that the monitor is plugged in...i dont know much about it but could it be something to do with the BIOS, i dont really know what they are but i have seen them be talked about alot on this topic...
a c 160 U Graphics card
a c 99 C Monitor
August 1, 2012 9:33:08 PM

If the card works at all, even with one connector, it's not the BIOS. Is there an onbooard video card? Is it disabled in Windows?
August 2, 2012 8:29:41 AM

I have no idea, how do i check?
a c 160 U Graphics card
a c 99 C Monitor
August 2, 2012 1:40:21 PM

Open Device Manager, it will be listed there as a second card along with the nVidia card. If it's there, right-click and select "Disable".
August 2, 2012 1:44:15 PM

There is only the nVidia card there
a c 160 U Graphics card
a c 99 C Monitor
August 2, 2012 2:00:53 PM

If the DVI port does not work, without any adapters, it looks to be bad. I mean a DVI cable to a DVI connection on the monitor not with the DVI to VGA adapter. Exchange the card for another one from where you bought it.
!