Ghost Icon on Desktop

I have a 0 byte file setting on my desktop I can't get rid of. The error
message says "cannot delete file. cannot read from source file or disk."
Nor can you cut, copy, rename or do anything else with it. I googled the
error message and have tried a number of suggestions without help, i.e.:
safe mode and command prompt, etc. I tried Move on Reboot without success.
I even resorted to restoring back prior to before the time this started
without success. It was originally a business email that I saved to my
desktop. When I opened the email to read it this icon appeared. when I
deleted the original email this one stuck around.....and around..... and
around. There must be some registry edit or something else I can do to get
rid of it. Thanks for your help.

David

I've also tried the suggestions from Kelly' Korner without success.

"David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>I have a 0 byte file setting on my desktop I can't get rid of. The error
>message says "cannot delete file. cannot read from source file or disk."
>Nor can you cut, copy, rename or do anything else with it. I googled the
>error message and have tried a number of suggestions without help, i.e.:
>safe mode and command prompt, etc. I tried Move on Reboot without success.
>I even resorted to restoring back prior to before the time this started
>without success. It was originally a business email that I saved to my
>desktop. When I opened the email to read it this icon appeared. when I
>deleted the original email this one stuck around.....and around..... and
>around. There must be some registry edit or something else I can do to get
>rid of it. Thanks for your help.
>
> David

What is the file on your desktop, a shortcut to an .eml file? Does it have
an extension?

MANUALLY DELETING STUBBORN FILES
http://aumha.org/a/stubborn.php

You Cannot Delete a File or a Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320081

Delete A File That Is Seemingly "Undeletable"
http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm

---

Delete - Can't Delete Files or Folders
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del

Delete - AVI, MPG... files (access denied error)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm

Scroll down to Delete - AVI, MPG... files (access denied error)
---

How To Delete "Undeletable" Files And Folders In XP
http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#8

"Access Denied" Error Message When You Try to Delete a File
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=298345

You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320081

You Receive an "Access Denied" Error Message When You Delete Folders from a
Mounted Drive
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319368

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23vvw6l0pFHA.2520@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
David Gorick <dgorick@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
> I've also tried the suggestions from Kelly' Korner without success.
>
> "David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> I have a 0 byte file setting on my desktop I can't get rid of. The error
>> message says "cannot delete file. cannot read from source file or disk."
>> Nor can you cut, copy, rename or do anything else with it. I googled the
>> error message and have tried a number of suggestions without help, i.e.:
>> safe mode and command prompt, etc. I tried Move on Reboot without
>> success. I even resorted to restoring back prior to before the time this
>> started without success. It was originally a business email that I
>> saved to my desktop. When I opened the email to read it this icon
>> appeared. when I deleted the original email this one stuck
>> around.....and around..... and around. There must be some registry edit
>> or something else I can do to get rid of it. Thanks for your help.
>>
>> David

Thanks for the reply Wes. It was originally saved as an email to my
desktop. Unfortunately it does not have an extension. There is nothing
after the period. I believe that is why windows can't find it. When I try
to open it I get a message saying it doesn't exist. That's the same message
that Move on Reboot gives me. I'll work through the links you sent and
report back. Thanks.

> What is the file on your desktop, a shortcut to an .eml file? Does it
> have
> an extension?
>
> MANUALLY DELETING STUBBORN FILES
> http://aumha.org/a/stubborn.php
>
> You Cannot Delete a File or a Folder
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320081
>
> Delete A File That Is Seemingly "Undeletable"
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm
>
> ---
>
> Delete - Can't Delete Files or Folders
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del
>
> Delete - AVI, MPG... files (access denied error)
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm
>
> Scroll down to Delete - AVI, MPG... files (access denied error)
> ---
>
> How To Delete "Undeletable" Files And Folders In XP
> http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#8
>
> "Access Denied" Error Message When You Try to Delete a File
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=298345
>
> You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320081
>
> You Receive an "Access Denied" Error Message When You Delete Folders from
> Mounted Drive
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319368
>
> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:%23vvw6l0pFHA.2520@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> David Gorick <dgorick@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
>> I've also tried the suggestions from Kelly' Korner without success.
>>
>> "David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>> I have a 0 byte file setting on my desktop I can't get rid of. The
>>> error
>>> message says "cannot delete file. cannot read from source file or disk."
>>> Nor can you cut, copy, rename or do anything else with it. I googled
>>> the
>>> error message and have tried a number of suggestions without help, i.e.:
>>> safe mode and command prompt, etc. I tried Move on Reboot without
>>> success. I even resorted to restoring back prior to before the time this
>>> started without success. It was originally a business email that I
>>> saved to my desktop. When I opened the email to read it this icon
>>> appeared. when I deleted the original email this one stuck
>>> around.....and around..... and around. There must be some registry edit
>>> or something else I can do to get rid of it. Thanks for your help.
>>>
>>> David

I tried every suggestion again. I had tried some previously, but am always
willing to try again. Had no success at all. It's still sitting there
thumbing it's nose at me.

> What is the file on your desktop, a shortcut to an .eml file? Does it
> have
> an extension?
>
> MANUALLY DELETING STUBBORN FILES
> http://aumha.org/a/stubborn.php
>
> You Cannot Delete a File or a Folder
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320081
>
> Delete A File That Is Seemingly "Undeletable"
> http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm
>
> ---
>
> Delete - Can't Delete Files or Folders
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del
>
> Delete - AVI, MPG... files (access denied error)
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm
>
> Scroll down to Delete - AVI, MPG... files (access denied error)
> ---
>
> How To Delete "Undeletable" Files And Folders In XP
> http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#8
>
> "Access Denied" Error Message When You Try to Delete a File
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=298345
>
> You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320081
>
> You Receive an "Access Denied" Error Message When You Delete Folders from
> Mounted Drive
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319368
>
> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:%23vvw6l0pFHA.2520@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> David Gorick <dgorick@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
>> I've also tried the suggestions from Kelly' Korner without success.
>>
>> "David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>> I have a 0 byte file setting on my desktop I can't get rid of. The
>>> error
>>> message says "cannot delete file. cannot read from source file or disk."
>>> Nor can you cut, copy, rename or do anything else with it. I googled
>>> the
>>> error message and have tried a number of suggestions without help, i.e.:
>>> safe mode and command prompt, etc. I tried Move on Reboot without
>>> success. I even resorted to restoring back prior to before the time this
>>> started without success. It was originally a business email that I
>>> saved to my desktop. When I opened the email to read it this icon
>>> appeared. when I deleted the original email this one stuck
>>> around.....and around..... and around. There must be some registry edit
>>> or something else I can do to get rid of it. Thanks for your help.
>>>
>>> David

David,

This opens your Desktop folder...
Start | Run | Type: desktop | Click OK |
Try to delete it from there, if it's there.

This opens the All Users Desktop folder...
Start | Run | Type or paste: %allusersprofile%\desktop | Click OK |

In news:u8hX%23i1pFHA.3304@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
David Gorick <dgorick@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
> I tried every suggestion again. I had tried some previously, but am
> always willing to try again. Had no success at all. It's still sitting
> there thumbing it's nose at me.

>> What is the file on your desktop, a shortcut to an .eml file? Does it
>> have
>> an extension?
>>
>> MANUALLY DELETING STUBBORN FILES
>> http://aumha.org/a/stubborn.php
>>
>> You Cannot Delete a File or a Folder
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320081
>>
>> Delete A File That Is Seemingly "Undeletable"
>> http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm
>>
>> ---
>>
>> Delete - Can't Delete Files or Folders
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del
>>
>> Delete - AVI, MPG... files (access denied error)
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm
>>
>> Scroll down to Delete - AVI, MPG... files (access denied error)
>> ---
>>
>> How To Delete "Undeletable" Files And Folders In XP
>> http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#8
>>
>> "Access Denied" Error Message When You Try to Delete a File
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=298345
>>
>> You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320081
>>
>> You Receive an "Access Denied" Error Message When You Delete Folders from
>> Mounted Drive
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319368
>>
>> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:%23vvw6l0pFHA.2520@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>> David Gorick <dgorick@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> I've also tried the suggestions from Kelly' Korner without success.
>>>
>>> "David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message

Tried both of those Wes and still get the same error message. I even tried
deleting the desktop.ini file without success. Stubborn little thing. I
know that there has to be a way to get rid of it and eventually we'll come
up with it.

David

> David,
>
> This opens your Desktop folder...
> Start | Run | Type: desktop | Click OK |
> Try to delete it from there, if it's there.
>
> This opens the All Users Desktop folder...
> Start | Run | Type or paste: %allusersprofile%\desktop | Click OK |
> Try to delete it from there, if it's there.
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:u8hX%23i1pFHA.3304@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
> David Gorick <dgorick@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
>> I tried every suggestion again. I had tried some previously, but am
>> always willing to try again. Had no success at all. It's still sitting
>> there thumbing it's nose at me.

>>> What is the file on your desktop, a shortcut to an .eml file? Does it
>>> have
>>> an extension?
>>>
>>> MANUALLY DELETING STUBBORN FILES
>>> http://aumha.org/a/stubborn.php
>>>
>>> You Cannot Delete a File or a Folder
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320081
>>>
>>> Delete A File That Is Seemingly "Undeletable"
>>> http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm
>>>
>>> ---
>>>
>>> Delete - Can't Delete Files or Folders
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del
>>>
>>> Delete - AVI, MPG... files (access denied error)
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm
>>>
>>> Scroll down to Delete - AVI, MPG... files (access denied error)
>>> ---
>>>
>>> How To Delete "Undeletable" Files And Folders In XP
>>> http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#8
>>>
>>> "Access Denied" Error Message When You Try to Delete a File
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=298345
>>>
>>> You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320081
>>>
>>> You Receive an "Access Denied" Error Message When You Delete Folders
>>> from
>>> Mounted Drive
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319368
>>>
>>> How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:%23vvw6l0pFHA.2520@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
>>> David Gorick <dgorick@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:

Beats me, David. If you tried everything from the links in my first post,
that's all I know.

Check back here to this thread, maybe someone else will post something.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:%23NjrIW3pFHA.3432@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
David Gorick <dgorick@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
> Tried both of those Wes and still get the same error message. I even
> tried deleting the desktop.ini file without success. Stubborn little
> thing. I know that there has to be a way to get rid of it and eventually
> we'll come up with it.
>
> David

>> David,
>>
>> This opens your Desktop folder...
>> Start | Run | Type: desktop | Click OK |
>> Try to delete it from there, if it's there.
>>
>> This opens the All Users Desktop folder...
>> Start | Run | Type or paste: %allusersprofile%\desktop | Click OK |
>> Try to delete it from there, if it's there.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:u8hX%23i1pFHA.3304@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
>> David Gorick <dgorick@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> I tried every suggestion again. I had tried some previously, but am
>>> always willing to try again. Had no success at all. It's still sitting
>>> there thumbing it's nose at me.

mak

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001

David,

Can you try this:
Start | Run | CMD | enter

in command prompt type the following as ONE CONTINUOUS COMMAND (or
copy/paste), press enter at the end:

dir /a "%userprofile%\desktop" > "%userprofile%\desktop\mydesktop.txt" &&
dir /a "%allusersprofile%\desktop" >> "%userprofile%\desktop\mydesktop.txt"

open mydesktop.txt. Is the problem file listed there? If so, please copy /
paste contents of mydesktop.txt here, indicating which one it is.

"David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Tried both of those Wes and still get the same error message. I even
> tried deleting the desktop.ini file without success. Stubborn little
> thing. I know that there has to be a way to get rid of it and eventually
> we'll come up with it.
>
> David

>> David,
>>
>> This opens your Desktop folder...
>> Start | Run | Type: desktop | Click OK |
>> Try to delete it from there, if it's there.
>>
>> This opens the All Users Desktop folder...
>> Start | Run | Type or paste: %allusersprofile%\desktop | Click OK |
>> Try to delete it from there, if it's there.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:u8hX%23i1pFHA.3304@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
>> David Gorick <dgorick@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:
>>> I tried every suggestion again. I had tried some previously, but am
>>> always willing to try again. Had no success at all. It's still sitting
>>> there thumbing it's nose at me.

Mak, here it is. the offending file is 4th from the top "0 Empire Main
Office Contact Info." It's not listed in all users\desktop.

Volume in drive C is WinXP
Volume Serial Number is 181A-583D

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\David Gorick\desktop

08/22/2005 08:56 PM <DIR> .
08/22/2005 08:56 PM <DIR> ..
08/20/2005 11:36 AM <DIR> David
08/22/2005 08:22 AM 0 Empire Main Office Contact Info.
08/22/2005 08:56 PM 0 mydesktop.txt
2 File(s) 0 bytes
3 Dir(s) 8,487,612,416 bytes free
Volume in drive C is WinXP
Volume Serial Number is 181A-583D

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\desktop

08/08/2005 10:03 AM <DIR> .
08/08/2005 10:03 AM <DIR> ..
0 File(s) 0 bytes
2 Dir(s) 8,487,608,320 bytes free

"Mak" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> David,
>
> Can you try this:
> Start | Run | CMD | enter
>
> in command prompt type the following as ONE CONTINUOUS COMMAND (or
> copy/paste), press enter at the end:
>
> dir /a "%userprofile%\desktop" > "%userprofile%\desktop\mydesktop.txt" &&
> dir /a "%allusersprofile%\desktop" >>
> "%userprofile%\desktop\mydesktop.txt"
>
> open mydesktop.txt. Is the problem file listed there? If so, please copy /
> paste contents of mydesktop.txt here, indicating which one it is.
>
> "David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Tried both of those Wes and still get the same error message. I even
>> tried deleting the desktop.ini file without success. Stubborn little
>> thing. I know that there has to be a way to get rid of it and eventually
>> we'll come up with it.
>>
>> David

>>> David,
>>>
>>> This opens your Desktop folder...
>>> Start | Run | Type: desktop | Click OK |
>>> Try to delete it from there, if it's there.
>>>
>>> This opens the All Users Desktop folder...
>>> Start | Run | Type or paste: %allusersprofile%\desktop | Click OK |
>>> Try to delete it from there, if it's there.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> In news:u8hX%23i1pFHA.3304@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl,
>>> David Gorick <dgorick@adelphia.net> hunted and pecked:

del "//?/C:\Documents and Settings\David Gorick\desktop\Empire Main Office Contact Info."

//?/ turns off some checking of illegal names as a side effect of allowing paths up to 32000 characters.
"David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:%23V%23$sd5pFHA.2816@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Mak, here it is. the offending file is 4th from the top "0 Empire Main
> Office Contact Info." It's not listed in all users\desktop.
>

> Volume in drive C is WinXP
> Volume Serial Number is 181A-583D
>
> Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\David Gorick\desktop
>
> 08/22/2005 08:56 PM <DIR> .
> 08/22/2005 08:56 PM <DIR> ..
> 08/20/2005 11:36 AM <DIR> David
> 08/22/2005 08:22 AM 0 Empire Main Office Contact Info.
> 08/22/2005 08:56 PM 0 mydesktop.txt
> 2 File(s) 0 bytes
> 3 Dir(s) 8,487,612,416 bytes free
> Volume in drive C is WinXP
> Volume Serial Number is 181A-583D
>
> Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\desktop
>
> 08/08/2005 10:03 AM <DIR> .
> 08/08/2005 10:03 AM <DIR> ..
> 0 File(s) 0 bytes
> 2 Dir(s) 8,487,608,320 bytes free
>

> "Mak" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> David,
>>
>> Can you try this:
>> Start | Run | CMD | enter
>>
>> in command prompt type the following as ONE CONTINUOUS COMMAND (or
>> copy/paste), press enter at the end:
>>
>> dir /a "%userprofile%\desktop" > "%userprofile%\desktop\mydesktop.txt" &&
>> dir /a "%allusersprofile%\desktop" >>
>> "%userprofile%\desktop\mydesktop.txt"
>>
>> open mydesktop.txt. Is the problem file listed there? If so, please copy /
>> paste contents of mydesktop.txt here, indicating which one it is.
>>
>> "David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>> Tried both of those Wes and still get the same error message. I even
>>> tried deleting the desktop.ini file without success. Stubborn little
>>> thing. I know that there has to be a way to get rid of it and eventually
>>> we'll come up with it.
>>>
>>> David

Tried it just like you typed it David and received a message that it could
not find the file.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
del "//?/C:\Documents and Settings\David Gorick\desktop\Empire Main Office
Contact Info."

//?/ turns off some checking of illegal names as a side effect of allowing
paths up to 32000 characters.
"David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Mak, here it is. the offending file is 4th from the top "0 Empire Main
> Office Contact Info." It's not listed in all users\desktop.
>

> Volume in drive C is WinXP
> Volume Serial Number is 181A-583D
>
> Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\David Gorick\desktop
>
> 08/22/2005 08:56 PM <DIR> .
> 08/22/2005 08:56 PM <DIR> ..
> 08/20/2005 11:36 AM <DIR> David
> 08/22/2005 08:22 AM 0 Empire Main Office Contact Info.
> 08/22/2005 08:56 PM 0 mydesktop.txt
> 2 File(s) 0 bytes
> 3 Dir(s) 8,487,612,416 bytes free
> Volume in drive C is WinXP
> Volume Serial Number is 181A-583D
>
> Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\desktop
>
> 08/08/2005 10:03 AM <DIR> .
> 08/08/2005 10:03 AM <DIR> ..
> 0 File(s) 0 bytes
> 2 Dir(s) 8,487,608,320 bytes free
>

> "Mak" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> David,
>>
>> Can you try this:
>> Start | Run | CMD | enter
>>
>> in command prompt type the following as ONE CONTINUOUS COMMAND (or
>> copy/paste), press enter at the end:
>>
>> dir /a "%userprofile%\desktop" > "%userprofile%\desktop\mydesktop.txt" &&
>> dir /a "%allusersprofile%\desktop" >>
>> "%userprofile%\desktop\mydesktop.txt"
>>
>> open mydesktop.txt. Is the problem file listed there? If so, please copy
>> /
>> paste contents of mydesktop.txt here, indicating which one it is.
>>
>> "David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>> Tried both of those Wes and still get the same error message. I even
>>> tried deleting the desktop.ini file without success. Stubborn little
>>> thing. I know that there has to be a way to get rid of it and
>>> eventually
>>> we'll come up with it.
>>>
>>> David

This creates it

copy con \\?\c:\test.
[then ctrl + z]

and this deletes it
del \\?\c:\test.

Therefore the illegal name isn't your problem.
"David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message news:eKP7do5pFHA.3516@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Tried it just like you typed it David and received a message that it could
> not find the file.
>

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> del "//?/C:\Documents and Settings\David Gorick\desktop\Empire Main Office
> Contact Info."
>

> //?/ turns off some checking of illegal names as a side effect of allowing
> paths up to 32000 characters.
> "David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Mak, here it is. the offending file is 4th from the top "0 Empire Main
>> Office Contact Info." It's not listed in all users\desktop.
>>

>> Volume in drive C is WinXP
>> Volume Serial Number is 181A-583D
>>
>> Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\David Gorick\desktop
>>
>> 08/22/2005 08:56 PM <DIR> .
>> 08/22/2005 08:56 PM <DIR> ..
>> 08/20/2005 11:36 AM <DIR> David
>> 08/22/2005 08:22 AM 0 Empire Main Office Contact Info.
>> 08/22/2005 08:56 PM 0 mydesktop.txt
>> 2 File(s) 0 bytes
>> 3 Dir(s) 8,487,612,416 bytes free
>> Volume in drive C is WinXP
>> Volume Serial Number is 181A-583D
>>
>> Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\desktop
>>
>> 08/08/2005 10:03 AM <DIR> .
>> 08/08/2005 10:03 AM <DIR> ..
>> 0 File(s) 0 bytes
>> 2 Dir(s) 8,487,608,320 bytes free
>>

>> "Mak" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> David,
>>>
>>> Can you try this:
>>> Start | Run | CMD | enter
>>>
>>> in command prompt type the following as ONE CONTINUOUS COMMAND (or
>>> copy/paste), press enter at the end:
>>>
>>> dir /a "%userprofile%\desktop" > "%userprofile%\desktop\mydesktop.txt" &&
>>> dir /a "%allusersprofile%\desktop" >>
>>> "%userprofile%\desktop\mydesktop.txt"
>>>
>>> open mydesktop.txt. Is the problem file listed there? If so, please copy
>>> /
>>> paste contents of mydesktop.txt here, indicating which one it is.
>>>
>>> "David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message

mak

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001

ok, let's try this (one more time?):
1. bring up command prompt:
| Start | Run | CMD | enter
2. Close all open applications.
3. Start task manager:
Ctrl+Shift+Esc
4. Under processes tab, find explorer.exe and do "end process", leave task
manager running.
5. In command prompt type as a continuous command following by enter:
del /a /f "\\?\%userprofile%\desktop\Empire Main Office Contact Info."
6. In task manager, | file | new task | explorer.exe | enter

"David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Tried it just like you typed it David and received a message that it
> could not find the file.
>

> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> del "//?/C:\Documents and Settings\David Gorick\desktop\Empire Main Office
> Contact Info."
>

> //?/ turns off some checking of illegal names as a side effect of allowing
> paths up to 32000 characters.
> "David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Mak, here it is. the offending file is 4th from the top "0 Empire Main
>> Office Contact Info." It's not listed in all users\desktop.
>>

>> Volume in drive C is WinXP
>> Volume Serial Number is 181A-583D
>>
>> Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\David Gorick\desktop
>>
>> 08/22/2005 08:56 PM <DIR> .
>> 08/22/2005 08:56 PM <DIR> ..
>> 08/20/2005 11:36 AM <DIR> David
>> 08/22/2005 08:22 AM 0 Empire Main Office Contact Info.
>> 08/22/2005 08:56 PM 0 mydesktop.txt
>> 2 File(s) 0 bytes
>> 3 Dir(s) 8,487,612,416 bytes free
>> Volume in drive C is WinXP
>> Volume Serial Number is 181A-583D
>>
>> Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\desktop
>>
>> 08/08/2005 10:03 AM <DIR> .
>> 08/08/2005 10:03 AM <DIR> ..
>> 0 File(s) 0 bytes
>> 2 Dir(s) 8,487,608,320 bytes free
>>

>> "Mak" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> David,
>>>
>>> Can you try this:
>>> Start | Run | CMD | enter
>>>
>>> in command prompt type the following as ONE CONTINUOUS COMMAND (or
>>> copy/paste), press enter at the end:
>>>
>>> dir /a "%userprofile%\desktop" > "%userprofile%\desktop\mydesktop.txt"
>>> &&
>>> dir /a "%allusersprofile%\desktop" >>
>>> "%userprofile%\desktop\mydesktop.txt"
>>>
>>> open mydesktop.txt. Is the problem file listed there? If so, please copy
>>> /
>>> paste contents of mydesktop.txt here, indicating which one it is.
>>>
>>> "David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message

mak

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001

actually, on a second thought, change No 5 to:

> ok, let's try this (one more time?):
> 1. bring up command prompt:
> | Start | Run | CMD | enter
> 2. Close all open applications.
> 3. Start task manager:
> Ctrl+Shift+Esc
> 4. Under processes tab, find explorer.exe and do "end process", leave
> task manager running.
> 5. In command prompt type as a continuous command following by enter:
> del /a /f "\\?\%userprofile%\desktop\Empire Main Office Contact Info."
> 6. In task manager, | file | new task | explorer.exe | enter
>

> "David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Tried it just like you typed it David and received a message that it
>> could not find the file.
>>

>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>> del "//?/C:\Documents and Settings\David Gorick\desktop\Empire Main
>> Office Contact Info."
>>

>> //?/ turns off some checking of illegal names as a side effect of
>> allowing paths up to 32000 characters.
>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>> "David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>> Mak, here it is. the offending file is 4th from the top "0 Empire Main
>>> Office Contact Info." It's not listed in all users\desktop.
>>>

>>> Volume in drive C is WinXP
>>> Volume Serial Number is 181A-583D
>>>
>>> Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\David Gorick\desktop
>>>
>>> 08/22/2005 08:56 PM <DIR> .
>>> 08/22/2005 08:56 PM <DIR> ..
>>> 08/20/2005 11:36 AM <DIR> David
>>> 08/22/2005 08:22 AM 0 Empire Main Office Contact Info.
>>> 08/22/2005 08:56 PM 0 mydesktop.txt
>>> 2 File(s) 0 bytes
>>> 3 Dir(s) 8,487,612,416 bytes free
>>> Volume in drive C is WinXP
>>> Volume Serial Number is 181A-583D
>>>
>>> Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\desktop
>>>
>>> 08/08/2005 10:03 AM <DIR> .
>>> 08/08/2005 10:03 AM <DIR> ..
>>> 0 File(s) 0 bytes
>>> 2 Dir(s) 8,487,608,320 bytes free
>>>

>>> "Mak" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message

To the rescue....

visit www.majorgeeks.com and search for a program called "unlocker"

Andy

Sir, you command of dos is excellent. The offending file has been sent off
to a place much more appropriate for it other than my desktop. Thank you
very much. I'm keeping your email in the eventuality that something like
this should happen to me or someone I know again. Once again, thank you,
thank you, thank you.

David

> actually, on a second thought, change No 5 to:
>
> del /a /f "\\?\%userprofile%\desktop\*empire*"
>
> "Mak" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> ok, let's try this (one more time?):
>> 1. bring up command prompt:
>> | Start | Run | CMD | enter
>> 2. Close all open applications.
>> 3. Start task manager:
>> Ctrl+Shift+Esc
>> 4. Under processes tab, find explorer.exe and do "end process", leave
>> task manager running.
>> 5. In command prompt type as a continuous command following by enter:
>> del /a /f "\\?\%userprofile%\desktop\Empire Main Office Contact Info."
>> 6. In task manager, | file | new task | explorer.exe | enter
>>

>> "David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>>> Tried it just like you typed it David and received a message that it
>>> could not find the file.
>>>

>>> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
>>> del "//?/C:\Documents and Settings\David Gorick\desktop\Empire Main
>>> Office Contact Info."
>>>

>>> //?/ turns off some checking of illegal names as a side effect of
>>> allowing paths up to 32000 characters.
>>> --
>>> --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>>> =================================================
>>> "David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message

mak

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001

Hi David,

you're welcome and thanks for posting back.

> Sir, you command of dos is excellent. The offending file has been sent
> off to a place much more appropriate for it other than my desktop. Thank
> you very much. I'm keeping your email in the eventuality that something
> like this should happen to me or someone I know again. Once again, thank
> you, thank you, thank you.
>
> David
>

> "Mak" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> actually, on a second thought, change No 5 to:
>>
>> del /a /f "\\?\%userprofile%\desktop\*empire*"
>>
>> "Mak" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>> ok, let's try this (one more time?):
>>> 1. bring up command prompt:
>>> 2. Close all open applications.
>>> 3. Start task manager:
>>> Ctrl+Shift+Esc
>>> 4. Under processes tab, find explorer.exe and do "end process", leave
>>> task manager running.
>>> 5. In command prompt type as a continuous command following by enter:
>>> del /a /f "\\?\%userprofile%\desktop\Empire Main Office Contact Info."
>>> 6. In task manager, | file | new task | explorer.exe | enter
>>>

>>> "David Gorick" <dgorick@adelphia.net> wrote in message

+1 for Mak's solution. Brilliant and effective, unlike the various "utilities" available. Thank you.