Pentium G2120 3.1GHz bottleneck the GTX 660?

bnn1

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Hi guys,

I want to know if a Pentium G2120 will bottelneck my video card a GTX 660? I want to play at 1920x1080 resolution. You can find additional info about this CPU right here : http://ark.intel.com/products/65527/Intel-Pentium-Processor-G2120-3M-Cache-3_10-GHz?wapkw=g2120

I know an i3 would fit better, i do know that this Pentium cpu doesn't have hyperthreading etc. I just want to know if the CPU will bottleneck the video card.

I will play games like Skyrim, WOTLK, World of Tanks(most of the time), Elder Scrolls Online (in the future), Heroes of Newerth.

The reasons i want to buy the Pentium dual core chip is the price in my country is much more lower then the i3.

bnn1

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
If the "bottleneck" represents playing @40 FPS instead of 60... i can live with that. In fact what would a bottleneck truly represent? If a video card is able to max out a game paired with a good CPU this means you will get the maximum FPS possible, right? But if its paired with a weaker CPU you have to tweak the video setting to get the same amount of FPS?

nacos

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012

Ummm... what?

bnn1

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I want to avoid the AMD platform... but if it's such a big improvement over the Pentium CPU, then i will go for it. I want more opinions,please.

satyamdubey

Distinguished
if you compare them clock for clock, the g2120 will hammer the phenom ii in some games and remain at par in others. in gaming alone, On anandtech bench, a g850 beats 965 BE. 2120 will be more powerful than 850

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/102?vs=404

However, with the OC ability of the Phenom you will be able to push your card well especially in multiplayers and specifically in game maps which will utilize your cores.

The price at which phenoms are available right now makes them quiet attractive but if you go with the pentium 2120, you are using a more modern and very powerful cpu.

my suggestion for the phenom would be only because you can get a quad that cheap and the fact that you'll be able to slap in a Vishy/Steamy in future.

I do not know whether you believe in future proofing and its quiet debatable as it is.

Rammy

Honorable
I don't think Skyrim will be a problem, if you check the Toms benchmarks they used a Pentium 860 and HD7850 1Gb in Decembers $500 PC (ie a mild step down from both of your selected components), and got an average 59fps at 1080P with everything turned on. The Toms review of the GTX660 benchmarked the card (paired up with a Sandy Bridge-E) at an average 64fps. It seems safe to conclude that until you start trying to use a million mods, you should have no issues.

My concern would be towards any MMO/online game. They are definitely leaning more and more towards being CPU hungry. If that is where your focus lies in the future then investing in a quad core is probably the way to go.

bnn1

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
If i buy the i3 i will have to buy a gtx 650 ti, if i go for the cheaper cpu, which is g2120 then i can afford to buy the gtx 660. I believe it's a better decision to go for a more powerfull video card and a good CPU.
Don't give me the prices of newegg i am not from the US.

Rammy

Honorable

Yeah Skyrim isn't optimised for more than 2 cores but it can really hammer older cpus. If you are buying now but interested in upgrading later, an alternative proposal might be to buy an even cheaper Pentium (860 or so) which gives you access to a multitude of i5/i7 goodness in the future should your needs change or you find that it's struggling. Issue with that plan is ofc that the 1155 socket is becoming defunct soon, so CPU availability will gradually drop. You seem fairly set on Intel (which is fine) but you might find AMD offerings at that price bracket more suitable. If nothing else they are worth considering.

bnn1

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013

What do you mean by becoming defunct soon? They will change again the socket?? As for the upgrade, yes i am willing to do it, as soon as i will have the money for it. I am thinking of buying an i5. I am not good at overclocking and i don't feel confident enough on my knowledge to do it. So the "K" series are out of discussion. I will be using a B75 chipset motherboard. More exactly the Asrock B75M GL R2.0.

I've checked different versions of Pentium dual-core processors on intel's website and i wonder if i would feel the difference between using a CPU which has 1600mhz memory support or a cpu which has 1333mhz support?

Rammy

Honorable
Yeah basically all the socket 1155 processors are already out. Intels next generation, Haswell, will use a different socket. What that means is that while you can upgrade to basically any processor out today, you won't be able to upgrade to a future variation.
My advice, go cheap now and get 1600Mhz ram. If that speed isn't supported, it should just run slower (1333) until you upgrade. While having faster ram is a boost, it's not going to be massive and the extra cash can be saved for the future.
Any of the "good" i5s, 3450/3470/3550/3570 are pretty even in terms of performance, just a 0.1Ghz boost in clock speed every tier, so whatever is cheaper is usually the one to go for.

G2120 will not bottleneck much.you will able to get 50fps in most games.Remember that it very close to i3 in gaming.if you are worrying about bottleneck then you need atleast i5 quad core not i3 as it is also a dual core!

bnn1

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Thank you ASHISH65, i could see in your signature that you use the Intel G645, how is that CPU in games?

My pc is running well.i never faced bottleneck in any games untill now.Most games running at high\ultra settings at about 45-60fps with vsync to off.skyrim is maxout at 60fps whereas battlefield 3 at 48fps at max.even crysis 3 beta at 45fps at very high (with AA to off) with my hd 7750.you should consider g2130 as it is just released and it is much better than my g645.