I've tried adding new document templates to the "New menu" that appears
when right clicking on the desktop or in windows explorer. I've tried
doing it manually by editing the registry and putting the proper
document files into windows/shellnew, and it doesn't work. I tried
using TweakUI to do it, and all it says is that there is no association
with that type of extension, but there is. They are for lua script
files, and I have them associated with TextPad to open for editing when
I double click on them. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

--
stonicus

Add items to the New menu (aka ShellNew entries)
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/shellnewadd.htm

ProgramID EXEFile
lua_auto_file %SystemRoot%\system32\NOTEPAD.EXE %1
http://www.filext.com/detaillist.php?extdetail=lua

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:stonicus.1u6f1n@pcbanter.net,
stonicus <stonicus.1u6f1n@pcbanter.net> hunted and pecked:
> I've tried adding new document templates to the "New menu" that appears
> when right clicking on the desktop or in windows explorer. I've tried
> doing it manually by editing the registry and putting the proper
> document files into windows/shellnew, and it doesn't work. I tried
> using TweakUI to do it, and all it says is that there is no association
> with that type of extension, but there is. They are for lua script
> files, and I have them associated with TextPad to open for editing when
> I double click on them. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
>

> --
> stonicus

The filetype needs to be properly associated as David said, and the friendly
name should be set correctly.

What's the file type? Can you export the file association settings?

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"stonicus" <stonicus.1u6f1n@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

> I've tried adding new document templates to the "New menu" that appears
> when right clicking on the desktop or in windows explorer. I've tried
> doing it manually by editing the registry and putting the proper
> document files into windows/shellnew, and it doesn't work. I tried
> using TweakUI to do it, and all it says is that there is no association
> with that type of extension, but there is. They are for lua script
> files, and I have them associated with TextPad to open for editing when
> I double click on them. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
>

> --
> stonicus

You have to have an open command.