PC Turns on but nothing shows on screen.

OracleOzai

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
I started to build my first PC and got all my Components and had it built. When I had everything plugged in, I powered it on. All of the fans started to spin and the lights turn on, the problem is that I can see anything on the screen. I have tested the screen and thats fine. When it powers on it beeps twice: one short beep followed by a longer, but still short beep.
Any Ideas as to what may be wrong???

abraham_mammogram

Honorable
Sep 1, 2012

Could be anything. Are you certain that you plugged in the power cable for the CPU? Double check. Same goes for the cpu heatsink fan, many motherboards won't boot unless the heatsink fan is plugged into the proper header on the motherboard.

Is the power supply sufficient? Can you plug it into a comparable, working computer?

Did you plug a video card into the system? It could be the card, so try to uninstall it, and take video directly from the motherboard itself.

Is the motherboard faulty? Do you smell any electrical smoke? If so, immediately unplug it, and ship it back.

Did you bend any pins, either on the cpu, or the motherboard. IF you did, you could have ruined one or both, and bent pins are not covered by warranties. Remove the cpu, and check.

Next time you post, please provide some information, like what components you used, age, and if they are all new.

Surgeking

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
sounds like the system did not pass the self test. it needs to have CPU, graphics, RAM, and keyboard. make sure all these are plugged in and have power plugged into it. CPU gets it's own plug, fan gets a little one. Graphic cards can need 0-2 plugs. everything else just needs to be seated properly.

are you getting any type of error messages at all?

might help to list all the parts just to rule out compatibility problems and help be more specific in troubleshooting.