Sign in with
Your question

Enhance GPU cooler with a casefan?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 1, 2012 7:21:02 PM

Hello,

I pointed a regular 85mm casefan directly at my 9800gtx+ omnidirectional fan. Smack bam on top of it. Does that seem like a good idea to you guys?

Thanks in advance,

Me.
August 1, 2012 8:00:05 PM

did it improve temps?

all that matters
August 1, 2012 8:00:38 PM

No, it probably won't help, and may actually reduce it's performance if it's not pushing as much air as the GPU fan (which it likely is not, those things are usually pretty powerful), because air must be sucked through the slow fan before it can get to the GPU, it's going to be an obstruction.

Even if it is pushing more air, I would expect it to cause abnormal pressure patterns on the GPU fan that may slow it down, since they will be spinning at different rates.

I'm no aeronautical engineer, but think about what happens to an aircraft when it encounters jet-wash or turbulence.
Related resources
August 1, 2012 8:04:25 PM

Well kind of late to ask now, innit? :D  Anyway, it will probably make the airflow stronger, thus increasing the cooling power. I think the best way is to put an intake on your case that is perpendicular to the card. That way it can deliver colder air for the GPU fan while the hot air gets exhausted from the back of the GPU. But either way should work just fine.
August 1, 2012 8:09:59 PM

Thanks for the replies guys, by the way, I forgot to mention that I just attached it with some tie-wraps so it's nothing permanent ;) 

Anyway, thanks for the help, it's appriciated!
August 1, 2012 8:21:28 PM

I am curious to know if it improved your temps or not :) 
August 1, 2012 8:28:50 PM

It's really hard to tell right now because of the changing weather, it varies from about 20c to 25c and that can really make all the difference.

I'll let you know when I am certain, however I suspect it may be decreasing performance.

I'm gonna try Auntarie's suggestion I think, however right now I gotta go.
August 1, 2012 8:40:21 PM

20-25*C? Be careful that your card doesn't freeze.
August 1, 2012 9:32:56 PM

Putting it on the side of the case, as auntarie suggested I would expect to help.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm picturing a case fan zip tied onto the face of the GPU cooler.
August 1, 2012 9:35:24 PM

if you WERE able to mount it above the card by 2-3 inches you would get better results..... think of a turbo charger in a car or better yet ram air as you are excelerating the air towards the intake and the additional movement should slightly/barely cool the air. This give you the ability to pipe in cooler air that the card would not be able to to draw in. Put your hand above the GPU fan and you will see what I mean you can really only feel the air drawn in about an inch or so above the fan.

I'm trying to shout out to bernoulli somewhere here but im not sure where

in the end the results would be really limited unless you already have a warm case
August 2, 2012 12:17:52 AM

auntarie said:

That's the outside temperature, my card runs between 55/60c idle and 83 max under load.

That's very hot, and perhaps a few degrees hotter since I put the extra fan on there.
August 2, 2012 12:20:22 AM

djscribbles said:
Putting it on the side of the case, as auntarie suggested I would expect to help.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm picturing a case fan zip tied onto the face of the GPU cooler.

I kind of mashed it in between my sata cables and the gpu, right on top of the fan-opening of the GPU, so it blows right into it. It's slightly attached with tie wraps but mostly just locked in position by the clutter.
August 2, 2012 12:21:38 AM

spentshells said:
if you WERE able to mount it above the card by 2-3 inches you would get better results..... think of a turbo charger in a car or better yet ram air as you are excelerating the air towards the intake and the additional movement should slightly/barely cool the air. This give you the ability to pipe in cooler air that the card would not be able to to draw in. Put your hand above the GPU fan and you will see what I mean you can really only feel the air drawn in about an inch or so above the fan.

I'm trying to shout out to bernoulli somewhere here but im not sure where

in the end the results would be really limited unless you already have a warm case

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, however there's not really any room to use it in the way you describe :??: 

I'll try what auntarie said untill I think of something better :) 
August 2, 2012 12:25:50 AM

Commander Arc said:
That's the outside temperature, my card runs between 55/60c idle and 83 max under load.

That's very hot, and perhaps a few degrees hotter since I put the extra fan on there.

At those temps I wouldn't worry about anything really. These older cards are able/meant to run hotter, for example my GeForce GTX 260+ that is overclocked runs at 52-58C idle and 87C load and I haven't had problems.
August 2, 2012 1:01:07 AM

whooleo said:
At those temps I wouldn't worry about anything really. These older cards are able/meant to run hotter, for example my GeForce GTX 260+ that is overclocked runs at 52-58C idle and 87C load and I haven't had problems.

I am aware of that, but i'm also a notorious overclocker. So I tend to try some unconventional methods to keep her a tad cooler and maybe squeeze a bit more juice out of her. You should see my pc, it looks like it was built by the soviet space program, scrap parts all over the show, but as long as it holds together it still runs perfectly.

I'm using an old E6600 2.4ghz stock at 3.6ghz, for example :p 
August 2, 2012 1:03:56 AM

auntarie said:

I tried your suggestion and it does work a little better :)  It actually shaved off a couple degrees instead of adding. Currently running 50c idle and 80 max under load.
August 2, 2012 6:44:53 AM

Commander Arc said:
I tried your suggestion and it does work a little better :)  It actually shaved off a couple degrees instead of adding. Currently running 50c idle and 80 max under load.

Glad it helped. But that's still a bit too hot. Perhaps you should consider buying an aftermarket cooler, if you can find one. I had a 9800GT not too long ago by GIGABYTE with no fans and it idled at 39-40 degrees. What is your card's manufacturer, btw?
August 2, 2012 9:57:41 AM

auntarie said:
Glad it helped. But that's still a bit too hot. Perhaps you should consider buying an aftermarket cooler, if you can find one. I had a 9800GT not too long ago by GIGABYTE with no fans and it idled at 39-40 degrees. What is your card's manufacturer, btw?

I don't have much money, but i'm sure I can find something on Dealextreme.com that's a decent substitute. (At times those guys in Hong-Kong make something worth buying :p ) They make replicas of Zalman GPU coolers etcetera. Also, they sell heatpads and small heatsinks etcetera.
August 2, 2012 10:00:14 AM

auntarie said:

Sorry I barely read your message, just woke up :p 

It's an XFX, it's the 9800gtx+

It should have a 55nm core, but GPU-Z tells me it's an old 65nm. It seems several brands (even EVGA) have been doing that to people over the years. To get rid of the old batches.

Also, 512mb DDR5 memory, 256bit bus, also it's not very clean on the inside, but soon i'll get out the compressor and give it a good beating. ;D

Extra info:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/xfx_9800gtx_/
August 2, 2012 11:58:07 AM

auntarie said:
I looked on the Net and there is some pretty good feedback for the Zalman coolers. Arctic was cited as good as well. I also found these two:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Just in case you decide to buy one. The second looks more like a passive cooler to me so it should be a lot more quiet if you care about that.

Thank you so much, you have been so helpful. I really appreciate it :) 

Oh and I don't mind noise, as I said before, my PC is one of those bolted together raw steel machines made of ancient overclocked hardware, except for that card though ;P
August 2, 2012 12:01:47 PM

auntarie said:
I looked on the Net and there is some pretty good feedback for the Zalman coolers. Arctic was cited as good as well. I also found these two:

Just in case you decide to buy one. The second looks more like a passive cooler to me so it should be a lot more quiet if you care about that.

By the way, i'm familiar with both those coolers, the more passive one actually has the option to buy seperate "snap on" fans (or glued ones not sure) and i've heard it works wonders due to the large surface area. But i'm gonna go with a Zalman knockoff from China when i've saved some. They have very good reviews.
August 2, 2012 12:23:04 PM

Commander Arc said:
By the way, i'm familiar with both those coolers, the more passive one actually has the option to buy seperate "snap on" fans (or glued ones not sure) and i've heard it works wonders due to the large surface area. But i'm gonna go with a Zalman knockoff from China when i've saved some. They have very good reviews.

Yeah Zalman seems like a good choice. As I said, people are satisfied with them. I just didn't find any on newegg to post here...
August 2, 2012 2:52:33 PM

Go for it. Even if it doesn't quite work out, it's only 7 bucks.
!