Developer Challenge - Is it even possible???

Last response: in Brands
October 6, 2004 6:53:56 PM

Hi everyone

I'm trying to develop software to send data from a normal pc modem to a
gsm-modem phone (in this case, Nokia 6100). Is this even possible? Ideally I
want to dial the sim card's data line with the pc (over land line) and send
a .jpg image to the phone.

Any thoughts on how the Nokia handles incoming data calls?

Cheers
Mark

More about : developer challenge

Anonymous
October 6, 2004 6:53:57 PM

On Wed, 06 Oct 2004 14:53:56 +0200, Mark Theunissen wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I'm trying to develop software to send data from a normal pc modem to a
> gsm-modem phone (in this case, Nokia 6100). Is this even possible? Ideally I
> want to dial the sim card's data line with the pc (over land line) and send
> a .jpg image to the phone.
>
> Any thoughts on how the Nokia handles incoming data calls?

It dosent. AFAIK no GSM phone will handle incoming dial-up data calls, let
alone accepting content via this method.

The only thing I can think of which would do what you require, would be an
always open GPRS connection, with the phone accepting content via 'GPRS
Push' methods. However the phone won't automatically accept and store
content like that, someone has to physically press buttons on the phone to
accept the content.

Another method could be to use MMS(Multimedia Message Service).

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@grfpb.arg
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 7:48:36 PM

> It dosent. AFAIK no GSM phone will handle incoming dial-up data calls, let
> alone accepting content via this method.
>
> The only thing I can think of which would do what you require, would be an
> always open GPRS connection, with the phone accepting content via 'GPRS
> Push' methods. However the phone won't automatically accept and store
> content like that, someone has to physically press buttons on the phone to
> accept the content.
>
> Another method could be to use MMS(Multimedia Message Service).

Hi Michael

Ok, I thought as much!

Basically I need a system to send an image to a target cellphone, but
preferably not through a 3rd party site. It's an application for the
security industry, so delay time is really of the essence here...

How do GPRS push methods work? The idea is that the target phone has someone
operating it, so it's no problem that they have to push buttons to accept
the image.

Is there a way to send an MMS to a phone with as little fuss and delay as
possible? The only thing I can think of is to have another gsm-modem phone
attatched to the pc running the software and actually send AT commands to
the pc-connected phone over the serial port telling it send an MMS to the
target phone.

Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Regards