Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What is wrong with my 7870?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 1, 2012 9:06:55 PM

Hello all, I came to the forums because I'm running into unexpected issues with my XFX R7870 Dual Dissipation card that I bought last month for my first build. The whole build process went well, installing windows and booting was easy. However, on the same week while watching my gaming recordings with windows media player my screen went black for a few seconds, and popped back with a message saying drivers had stopped working and restored. Then the week after it also happened with the same action, along with crashing for real whenever I turn off the monitor, forcing me to reset the whole system. Just to add on, when I ran the windows base score to see what windows' benchmarks would tell me of my build the scores were not what I expected. Everything ranged from 7.8-7.9 aside from the desktop and gaming graphics, respectively resulting in 5.4 and 6.8. with FX-8150 and 7870 at stock. I OCed the system to 4.4ghz to check if anything would change, but the scores barely went up. It hit me that something was wrong when I was watching a video of this guy, whose build was inferior to mine in every way but his graphics scores (with a 7770) being both 7.6. Can anyone tell me what's going on? I know this is not a 7970 or a gtx 680, but PLEASE! It's still a 300 dollar GPU!

System specs:

Windows 7 64 bit
AMD FX-8150 @4.2Ghz CPU
Asus ROG Crosshair V Formula Mobo
Corsair 16GB(2x8GB) Vengeance DDR3 @ 1600Mhz
XFX R7870 DD GPU
T-Link 300Mb/s Wireless Adapter
Corsair 120GB SSD
WD 1TB Green Caviar HDD
Asus DVD-RW Optical Drive
Corsair TX650
Zalman 9900
Cooler Master Storm Trooper Case

More about : wrong 7870

August 1, 2012 9:29:03 PM

Use Driver Sweeper to uninstall your GPU drivers, then try the latest beta drivers, and make sure all your parts are stock. Reboot and run WEI again. Note that WEI is not exactly very accurate and can be manually modified. Still those scores are abnormal.
August 1, 2012 10:49:03 PM

Smeg45 said:
Use Driver Sweeper to uninstall your GPU drivers, then try the latest beta drivers, and make sure all your parts are stock. Reboot and run WEI again. Note that WEI is not exactly very accurate and can be manually modified. Still those scores are abnormal.

I'll run the program and see what turns out to be, but before I'll also contact AMD and check if any others have the issue I'm having. I mean the card works, it's not defective (not that I know), I can play all my games on ultra and still be good in FPS. But I also noticed that my average FPS on these games is actually lower than what benchmarks out there with similar setups had. Got to be the drivers, if not for them I'd have a 7.8 score at least!
Related resources
August 2, 2012 1:06:05 AM

Ok, I did what you suggested, installed the newest and latest beta driver on the system, and while the performance increased the scores now are the same, both 6.0. The gaming graphics actually DECREASED, while the desktop graphics increased just like when I had my system OCed to 4.4ghz. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THIS CARD?
August 2, 2012 1:16:22 AM

WEI means nothing. Honestly. How are games playing? Better? Less lag?
August 2, 2012 1:22:45 AM

A 7870 should give you 7.9s. Also that driver error you got only happens to me when I overclock the card too high and it becomes unstable. If you are running the card at stock speeds and a driver sweep and reinstall doesn't help you might have a slightly defective card.

Go ahead and uninstall everything AMD in control panel. Reboot and then reboot again into safe mode and install the drivers. Not the BETAs, just install 12.6 or 12.7.
August 2, 2012 1:29:24 AM

Honestly WEI is a POS, don't take it seriously.

I get 6.8 on desktop/gaming graphics with the integrated 6620g and 6.4 when i activate my discrete 6750m. But, its easy to tell which graphics is the better one, 6750m more than doubles the playable framerate on games.

Does it game well and better tahn the 7770? if yes, then nothing to worry about. WEI changes its mind more than my girlfriend while shopping. :ange:  just last week my integrated 6620g scores a 6.2.
August 2, 2012 2:14:49 AM

vrumor said:
WEI means nothing. Honestly. How are games playing? Better? Less lag?

They play nicely, less frames on ultra than it should but I record while playing so I lock on 30fps for BF3 and Metro and both run with not many hiccups. However , it would be nice to actually get the frames that websites such as this have tested with similar systems. Like without recording it should give me 40+ frames on bf3, but I only get that on metro, everywhere else is 30fps even without locking.
August 2, 2012 2:18:54 AM

stickg1 said:
A 7870 should give you 7.9s. Also that driver error you got only happens to me when I overclock the card too high and it becomes unstable. If you are running the card at stock speeds and a driver sweep and reinstall doesn't help you might have a slightly defective card.

Go ahead and uninstall everything AMD in control panel. Reboot and then reboot again into safe mode and install the drivers. Not the BETAs, just install 12.6 or 12.7.

I think it might be slightly defective, I reinstalled the drivers but didn't do much at all. I guess this wouldn't make me a good candidate for a return. I guess I gotta deal with it, although it still plays the games well enough on ultra all maxed.
August 2, 2012 2:21:05 AM

burntpizza said:
Honestly WEI is a POS, don't take it seriously.

I get 6.8 on desktop/gaming graphics with the integrated 6620g and 6.4 when i activate my discrete 6750m. But, its easy to tell which graphics is the better one, 6750m more than doubles the playable framerate on games.

Does it game well and better tahn the 7770? if yes, then nothing to worry about. WEI changes its mind more than my girlfriend while shopping. :ange:  just last week my integrated 6620g scores a 6.2.

It should own a 7770 in every way, like 200 dollars more expensive. It still plays all on ultra well, although I do some tweaking to less the ultraness in order to get the supposed frames benchmarked by other people. I guess I gotta deal with it until I have money to buy another better card.
August 2, 2012 2:34:25 AM

No way, its an xfx, the retailer or xfx should send you a new one. Return it, its been less than a month right?
August 2, 2012 3:52:31 AM

stickg1 said:
No way, its an xfx, the retailer or xfx should send you a new one. Return it, its been less than a month right?

Yeah, I got it on the 15th of July. I'll check with XFX since I registered the product on their website.
August 2, 2012 10:45:35 AM

Phspaulo22 said:
Yeah, I got it on the 15th of July. I'll check with XFX since I registered the product on their website.

Where did you buy it? Most stores and online retailers offer 30 day replacement against defective items. Check that first.
August 3, 2012 7:10:11 PM

Just to keep this topic updated things got worse, the XFX support does not respond, and the hiccpus that were nonexistant until this morning are now constant, I can't even play any games anymore!
August 4, 2012 9:13:12 PM

Quote:
Have you run FRAPS on it to see what frame rates you are getting? I have noticed that the new drivers are a little buggy as I have had a couple of crashes due to the vga drivers. Hopefully next months drivers will be better.

AMD dropped the monthly driver release schedule and will only be releasing drivers as they see fit.
August 4, 2012 10:42:02 PM

Return it to the store you got it from and get a replacement.
August 5, 2012 12:53:09 AM

Smeg45 said:
Return it to the store you got it from and get a replacement.

Already did, and will instead get a 670 on a local store (for easier return if needed), which is better and just for 89 dollars more the FTW OC edition.
August 5, 2012 3:20:15 AM

Phspaulo22 said:
Already did, and will instead get a 670 on a local store (for easier return if needed), which is better and just for 89 dollars more the FTW OC edition.

Consider a 7950 too. Personally, I only buy Sapphire for AMD GPU's. They are the most reliable in my mind.
August 6, 2012 3:25:45 AM

Sapphire cards are no different from any other brand. Most rely on reference PCBs. Doesn't matter if it's from Asus, Sapphire, XFX, etc....if it uses a reference design, it's just as likely to fail.
August 6, 2012 4:08:49 AM

ok, I think I solved one problem and got more info on another: I got a EVGA FTW 670 today that is awesome and works flawlessly (so far) for the best price ever, 389 on Fry's. When I installed drivers and ran WEI, it gave both desktop AND gaming graphics a 6.0. This shows that it's not the GPU, although the last one was also flickering and dropping frames overall it's not the GPU where my WEI issue lies. Anyone with any ideas of what might be going on post I reply.
August 6, 2012 6:17:43 AM

sykozis said:
Sapphire cards are no different from any other brand. Most rely on reference PCBs. Doesn't matter if it's from Asus, Sapphire, XFX, etc....if it uses a reference design, it's just as likely to fail.

True, but I'm talking about the custom versions - TOXIC, OC, etc.
August 6, 2012 10:50:35 PM

Phspaulo22 said:
ok, I think I solved one problem and got more info on another: I got a EVGA FTW 670 today that is awesome and works flawlessly (so far) for the best price ever, 389 on Fry's. When I installed drivers and ran WEI, it gave both desktop AND gaming graphics a 6.0. This shows that it's not the GPU, although the last one was also flickering and dropping frames overall it's not the GPU where my WEI issue lies. Anyone with any ideas of what might be going on post I reply.

Could be alot of different things.... But, WEI is completely useless. You need to run games and actual benchmarks. Give 3DMark Vantage, 3DMark11 and several games a run and see how the system actually performs. If 3DMark scores are low....or your framerates are low, then worry.

Smeg45 said:
True, but I'm talking about the custom versions - TOXIC, OC, etc.

Even most OC cards are nothing but reference cards with custom bios...and in some cases "custom" coolers.
August 7, 2012 3:40:03 AM

sykozis said:
Could be alot of different things.... But, WEI is completely useless. You need to run games and actual benchmarks. Give 3DMark Vantage, 3DMark11 and several games a run and see how the system actually performs. If 3DMark scores are low....or your framerates are low, then worry.

Even most OC cards are nothing but reference cards with custom bios...and in some cases "custom" coolers.

Ok, so my frame rates aren't bad, they range (at least on battlefield ultra) around 60 fps, although average must be around 50. I tried running 3dmark11, but it doesn't work because it gives me a blank screen every time the program runs. However, I was able to run 3dmark Vantage, which gave me a gpu score of P25080; cpu score of P18022 and overall score of P22844. It's diagnosis was that the gpu could run better, although the other scores accoring to the expected by vantage were ok. I really don't know what's going on considering it's a gtx 670 ftw with clock speeds of a reference gtx 680, but without 1 smx unit. The cpu run good, gpu now runs good, but just seems something is wrong...

Best solution

August 7, 2012 10:19:22 PM

Phspaulo22 said:
Ok, so my frame rates aren't bad, they range (at least on battlefield ultra) around 60 fps, although average must be around 50. I tried running 3dmark11, but it doesn't work because it gives me a blank screen every time the program runs. However, I was able to run 3dmark Vantage, which gave me a gpu score of P25080; cpu score of P18022 and overall score of P22844. It's diagnosis was that the gpu could run better, although the other scores accoring to the expected by vantage were ok. I really don't know what's going on considering it's a gtx 670 ftw with clock speeds of a reference gtx 680, but without 1 smx unit. The cpu run good, gpu now runs good, but just seems something is wrong...

You're going to get lower scores because of the FX-8150.

Here~

http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/NVIDIA+GeF...
http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/cpu/AMD+FX-815...

BF3 Ultra @1080p and you get around 50fps? What's the problem? That's good...
August 15, 2012 1:09:00 AM

Best answer selected by Phspaulo22.
!