Sign in with
Your question

GTX 670 Coil Whine? PLEASE HELP!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 1, 2012 10:05:35 PM

Hey guys, I'm having a little problem. As you can see from the title I think my MSI GTX 670 has coil whine. That's not the problem as I'm returning that card as it has a buzzing noise that shouldn't be there from what I've seen (this isn't the coil whine). Now, it only happens when I'm in the Minecraft menu screens. I hear this noise that is clearly coil whine and yes, it does go away if I turn the FPS off Max FPS. Now, my question is. Is it definitely in the graphics card? My first thought was the power supply but closer inspection leads me to believe it's the graphics card. I'm pretty sure it is as it only happens in the menu of Minecraft, which the 670 obviosusly has to load. I'm trying to get to the bottom of it but I can't be 100% sure. The reason I'm asking is because I'm sending the part back but I want to make sure the problem lies within just the graphics card and not the PSU as I'll then need to waste more time sending that back.

Overall summary: Is the whine coming from the Graphics Card or elsewhere?

I've heard coil whine can occur in a MoBo and I really hope it's not the case as that would be a HUGE hassle that I don't want to deal with. It's an ASUS P9X79 PRo MoBo incase you need that detail.

Apologies for the bad grammar. I wrote this in quite a rush.

More about : gtx 670 coil whine

a c 181 U Graphics card
August 3, 2012 4:46:18 AM

There are a few way's you can find out for sure. One is try your card in someone else's rig or try another card in yours. If you try it in someone eles and it makes the nose then you know it is the card.

If you try a someone else's card in your rig and it makes a noise then it could be the PSU but I would suppect the MOBO to be on the very last of the list of what is causing the noise.

What are your spec's including your PSU brand and wattage? If you can't do anything I suggested then do the RMA on the card and hope that you get a new card. Because it is not the card.

Then they are going to send it back to you then you have to look at other possibilities which would include hooking up another PSU to test. I feel for you and I hope you can nip it in the bud good luck to you.
August 4, 2012 3:13:37 PM

DM186 said:
There are a few way's you can find out for sure. One is try your card in someone else's rig or try another card in yours. If you try it in someone eles and it makes the nose then you know it is the card.

If you try a someone else's card in your rig and it makes a noise then it could be the PSU but I would suppect the MOBO to be on the very last of the list of what is causing the noise.

What are your spec's including your PSU brand and wattage? If you can't do anything I suggested then do the RMA on the card and hope that you get a new card. Because it is not the card.

Then they are going to send it back to you then you have to look at other possibilities which would include hooking up another PSU to test. I feel for you and I hope you can nip it in the bud good luck to you.

Okay, from what I have tested thus far it seems like the Graphics card. The 3 important specs are a Asus P9X79 Motherboard, a MSI GTX 670 Graphics card and a Corsair HX850 PSU. Thanks for the reply.
Related resources
a c 181 U Graphics card
August 5, 2012 2:31:41 AM

You have a nice set up and if your gut and what you have done and you feel it is the card then it probley is so do the RMA thing. I would suspect the card over the other do because the MOBO doesn't have anything spinning.

The PSU does and Is it located in the bottom of the case? Have you touch the card while it is running? Do you hear a sound change while touching the card or make a sound change?

Here is one thing you can do is take the card out and if you have integrated graphics hook up to it and then boot up. Or you can do it anyway with or with out a card. And of course if you hear the noise.

Then it is coming from something else and your card is good. Just more food for thought and good luck.
August 5, 2012 7:07:38 PM

DM186 said:
You have a nice set up and if your gut and what you have done and you feel it is the card then it probley is so do the RMA thing. I would suspect the card over the other do because the MOBO doesn't have anything spinning.

The PSU does and Is it located in the bottom of the case? Have you touch the card while it is running? Do you hear a sound change while touching the card or make a sound change?

Here is one thing you can do is take the card out and if you have integrated graphics hook up to it and then boot up. Or you can do it anyway with or with out a card. And of course if you hear the noise.

Then it is coming from something else and your card is good. Just more food for thought and good luck.

Thanks. Last thing. I'm about 99% sure it's the card but I can't really change it for the next couple of weeks. So is coil whine a cause for concern? It only happens when I play Minecraft which is the strange thing but could it damage the card?
a c 181 U Graphics card
August 6, 2012 5:42:11 AM

No just keep a eye on things or I should a ear on things. It you should get a lot of stuff going on like stuff not right on the monitor or your temps get way out there but other than that annoying noise nothing to worry about.

You will know if any problems start to happen but it won't take out your rig or like a little bomb go off. Other than the noise nothing to worry about seriously and all joking aside. Let us know a update when you can get the new card. Good luck.
!