System Usage from Most to Least Important:
1. Movies
2. Streaming Movies
3. Downloading Movies
4.Storing Movies
5. Word Processing
6. Internet Surfing
7. Slight Photoshop use
All of these are very important to me, but that the order from greatest to least important

Are you buying a monitor: Yes
Do you need to buy a OS:Yes (I don't have an OEM licence)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Don't really mind as long as it is reputable

Parts Preferences: Intel preferably but am open to suggestions

Overclocking: No, probably not

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Additional Comments: Hi! I've been planning to start my first computer build for a while but I'm having a lot of trouble picking out the parts. The computer I need is a office/ multimedia build. I need the computer to be as fast and quiet as possible. I'm not a gamer so don't care much about being able to play the latest and greatest games. What I do care about is it being able to connect it to an HD high resolution TV.

Other than that I would like for the desktop to be able to connect to the internet wirelessly, have an internal card reader. I would prefer an Intel build but am open to suggestions. (I am a female so please don't suggest a transformer, alien-like case)

My budget is $1,200 USD, but that includes, monitor, wireless keyboard, wireless mouse, wireless headphones, and an OS system.

Any Suggestions would be helpful (that includes the monitor and the like). Just please take it easy on the tech talk and if you would explain your reasoning that would be helpful. Its not necessary but it's my first build and it would help me with picking out my pieces for my next build! Thanks
September 21, 2012 4:55:26 PM

I forgot to mention that I wanted the build to be a HTPC That can handle word Processing and the above mentioned. I also forgot to mention that while I do need a monitor, I do no need one now and that while I would prefer that the monitor be included in the budget it doesn't have to be.
m
l

Best solution

September 21, 2012 5:09:49 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($289.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.61 @ Amazon)
Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.63 @ Amazon)
Total: $992.16
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-21 13:09 EDT-0400)

There you go :)  Since you won't be using this rig for gaming, there's no need to overkill on the PSU or get a GPU; the Integrated HD4000 Graphics on the i7 3770 will do just fine for your intended usage.

Also, with this rig, it leaves you witn ~$200 to choose a keyboard/mouse and a pair of headphones you like! :)  I didn't choose those since every person has a preference with keyboards/headphones.
Related resources
September 21, 2012 7:51:45 PM

mocchan said:

Case: Antec Three Hundred Two ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ NCIX US)

Thanks for the build!
What do you think about Replacing the case with this:

LIAN LI Black Aluminum PC-C33B HTPC Case

I wanted to set up this pc in my living room under the cable box.

Will this WiFi card and card reader work my suggested case and motherboard:

Intel Intel 5300 Ultimate N Wi-Fi Link Wireless Network Adapter - Mini PCI Express - 450Mbps

Rosewill RDCR-11004 5.25" Multi-in-1 Internal Card Reader
m
l
September 21, 2012 10:19:52 PM

Oh wow, that case is actually very nice! It's in full ATX form factor so you won't have any compatibility issues as well.

Unfortunately, the Network adapter will not work on the motherboard as it doesn't have an mPCI-E slot. Let me see if there's anything else on the market within reasonable price that offers this feature.

So far, I've only seen mPCI-E on high-end premium boards :(  Hopefully I've just been a blind rat.

The card reader will work fine, however, as it uses an internal USB 3.0 header (which the motherboard has)

**EDIT**

I can't seem to find any boards with mPCI-E on the reasonable price range/won't break your wallet, so far, I've only seen them on ASUS's ROG series of boards and Deluxe branded boards; both of which will cost over $200...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Here's a cheap alternative.
m
l
September 22, 2012 12:06:51 AM

Best answer selected by CookieMonstar.
m
l
September 22, 2012 12:10:23 AM

Thanks! I pretty much know what to get now. You were a lot of help! The only thing I have to figure out is my headphones. If time allows I'll probably do this build earlier than expected!
m
l
September 22, 2012 12:18:57 AM

You're very welcome and I hope you can build this rig early! :lol:  it's one heck of a beast! :) 

We have a very good community here on Tom's regarding sound as well! (lots of Audiophiles :lol:  ) So I bet you will figure out what you need/want soon! ;) 
m
l
!