Solved

Fractal Design Define r4 window version Gaming Build

Hello Everyone,

After a long research and help from our community here, I am almost ready to purchase the following items and attempt to create my first computer build.

I am thinking to wait a little bit for some of the prices to go down (maybe Black Friday or Cyber Monday), but on the other hand the temptations are so many that everyday find something that I like and that creates a small problem...

Here is my configuration:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($83.74 @ Mwave)
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z77 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($219.98 @ NCIX US)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($82.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($139.98 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($479.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (64-bit) ($128.19 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech 920-000914 Wired Slim Keyboard ($65.99 @ Newegg)
Mouse: Logitech Wireless Mouse M525 Wireless Optical Mouse ($16.99 @ Amazon)
Other: NZXT Technologies 5.25-Inch Hue RGB LED Color Changing Controller (8c-hue0000-00b) ($39.99 @ Amazon)
Other: Rosewill RTK-045 45 Piece Premium Computer Tool Kit ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Other: Rosewill RCW-566 50ft. /Network Cable Cat 6 Black ($7.99 @ Newegg)
Other: JVC HAFX1X Headphone Xtreme-Xplosivs ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2027.77
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-09-21 12:18 EDT-0400)

Now what I want to ask the community is the following:

Do you know of a way to save money? Possible purchase some items from eBay? or just wait until a special deal comes around? Who do you recommend for purchase vendor? or you suggest to go locally at Microcenter or BestBuy?

Once again, please make any recommendations on my system that you think will be beneficial. My goal is silence & performance.

Thank you
13 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about fractal design define window version gaming build
  1. Best answer
    this is better
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/i6QX

    the 7970 can be replaced by a gtx670 but both are good

    the grey R4 is 20 bucks cheaper

    8gb of ram is more than enough for gaming

    sabertooth is a ripoff

    you wont need 3tb of storage. 1 is more than enough but i left that in

    keyboard, get this. only get it when it is around 59.99 after MIR. not on sale this week
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823129008&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-Keyboards-_-Cooler%20Master-_-23129008&AID=10440897&PID=3938566&SID=

    you dont need a toolkit. they are marketing.all you need is a screwdriver and some cable ties
  2. If you are near a microcenter definitely check out their m/b - cpu combination deals as they will likely be at least $50.00 cheaper than anywhere else.
    you will need to go to the store to pick them up as they are not valid for shipping.

    Good Luck.
  3. Excellent Answers!.

    So, if I have to choose between 7970 and 670 which one will be quieter or better for the long run? Sli or Crossfire for the future? (dont really understand what Sli or Crossfire do but sounds cool as an option for the future)

    btw, these memory sticks will be ok under my noctua?
  4. Quote:
    (dont really understand what Sli or Crossfire do but sounds cool as an option for the future)
    .

    SLI is the NVIDIA version of a Multi-GPU setup
    Crossfire is the AMD version of a Multi-GPU setup
    that's maybe oversimplified a bit, but that's really all it is.

    for quietness it will depend on the vendor and i cant comment on the 7950 but i have a Gigabyte Windforce GTX670oc with the tripe fans in a Corsair Carbide 500r case and i really cannot even hear it.
  5. so, people actually put two video cards to increase graphic performance? is that it?

    Let me understand. Lets say in about 2 years from now and when the video card that I am placing on my system will loose 70%-80% of is monetery value, I'll add another card side by side and it will match up the requirements of the times!

    Anyhow, that is not really my concern. Many of the components I choose will loose their value in couple months and that is inevitable.

    One last question that have to do with the motherboard. Why nobody likes the sabertooth but yet is voted 3 times as board of the month in newegg?
  6. DionTheGreek said:
    so, people actually put two video cards to increase graphic performance? is that it?

    Let me understand. Lets say in about 2 years from now and when the video card that I am placing on my system will loose 70%-80% of is monetery value, I'll add another card side by side and it will match up the requirements of the times!

    Anyhow, that is not really my concern. Many of the components I choose will loose their value in couple months and that is inevitable.

    One last question that have to do with the motherboard. Why nobody likes the sabertooth but yet is voted 3 times as board of the month in newegg?


    Yes that's correct.

    Quote:
    )
    Other: NZXT Technologies 5.25-Inch Hue RGB LED Color Changing Controller (8c-hue0000-00b) ($39.99 @ Amazon)
    Other: Rosewill RTK-045 45 Piece Premium Computer Tool Kit ($24.99 @ Newegg)
    Other: Rosewill RCW-566 50ft. /Network Cable Cat 6 Black ($7.99 @ Newegg)
    Other: JVC HAFX1X Headphone Xtreme-Xplosivs ($17.99 @ Amazon)


    None of these things are needed and you're actually wasting money on them. Your ISP will provide any and all network cables and most of the equipment you'll need, and color changing lights are a huge gimmick. The only tool you really need to build a PC is a Philips head screwdriver. I also wouldn't purchase the Sabertooth - I think it's very overrated and expensive for what you get.
  7. if you do want LEDs, you can get some bitfenix alchemy lights. great but i wouldnt spend the money on that
  8. . I greatly appreciate the responses and value your opinions.
    The reason I picked the window version of the fractal design is because I would like to show off my work once a while and the lights will make that part easier. By saying that it is not really a big deal if I don't have that option.
    I don't really understand all the functionality of the motherboards or why is necessary to spend 500 dollars on a video card. But following what other people do without the knowledge can be very painful for my wallet. And that is why I respect your responses and listen carefully on your recommendations.

    What I am looking is a good system that will allow me to play the games in a high settingss my monitor will allow to play (Currently own a Samsung SMS23A550H with 1920X1080) and have a solid/silent case that can allow me to expand in the future.
  9. DionTheGreek said:
    . I greatly appreciate the responses and value your opinions.
    The reason I picked the window version of the fractal design is because I would like to show off my work once a while and the lights will make that part easier. By saying that it is not really a big deal if I don't have that option.
    I don't really understand all the functionality of the motherboards or why is necessary to spend 500 dollars on a video card. But following what other people do without the knowledge can be very painful for my wallet. And that is why I respect your responses and listen carefully on your recommendations.

    What I am looking is a good system that will allow me to play the games in a high settingss my monitor will allow to play (Currently own a Samsung SMS23A550H with 1920X1080) and have a solid/silent case that can allow me to expand in the future.


    On a gaming system the money always goes to getting the best GPU you can get. Yeah the price tag may be a bit too much to stomach at first but the payoff is more than worth it. By making a few minor adjustments you can get that card without altering your budget too much.
  10. The fractal design is the ONLY case that i care to build and nothing else.
    If anyone else here have other build recommendations, I'll like to take a look.

    Thank you

    ps. Please don't comment on my "other" items of my build. These are personal selections.
  11. follow my suggestion and you will be good

    ps. you have to change the case to the black version since the price went back up
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HD3E6Y/?tag=pcpapi-20
  12. Best answer selected by DionTheGreek.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems