Just finished building, not starting, need troubleshooting help

Animato_

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Hi all,

I got all my parts today and literally just finished building my new computer and tried to turn it on to play around in the BIOS. When I press the power button, the light flashes on momentarily, the fans start to turn and then it all comes to a screeching halt, as if I didn't ask it to start at all. I did a bit of Googling and determined that there were X crucial components needed to start it, and checked that they were all connected and such. I had thought the RAM needed to be in a pair, so they were together(beside each other) but then a Google result suggested that they be in the same coloured slots so I corrected that and put them both into black slots. Upon trying again, I got largely the same result.

I learned that neither my case or motherboard have a speaker so the troubleshooting tips provided in the motherboard manual are useless and I'm completely stumped, can anybody give me some tips or possibly suggest what might be the issue?

Here are my specifications:

Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II Advanced version USB 3.0 PC Tower Case
Motherboard: Asus P8H77-M PRO Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5-3550 3.3 GHz CPU
RAM: Kingston KVR1333D3N9K2/8G 2 x 4 GB PC Memory Modules
GPU: SAPPHIRE TECHNOLOGY RADEON HD 7950 Graphics card - 3 GB GDDR5 - PCI Express 3.0
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 ST2000DM001 internal hard drive - 2 TB
Power: OCZ Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 750 W Power Supply
Optical drive: SONY OPTIARC DVD Rewriter Black OEM Drive - AD-5280S-0B

Thanks in advance!

Animato_

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
I'm not allowed to edit my message apparently but I wanted to add this:

If I press the power switch again - nothing happens. The only way to get this to repeat is if I turn the switch at the back off and back on, and then the same issue repeats itself.

Animato_

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Yes, I didn't see it before but there is a green led at the bottom right of the motherboard that stays lit even after everything else has stopped - even if I turn it off at the back.

TomH426

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Thats the power indicator. So your m/b is getting the proper power. If you dont see any red leds anywhere thats good but does not help explain the issue.
You might want to sheck your manual for the info regarding the MEM OK button. Then do the steps in there to reset. You will also want to make sure you update the bios of your motherboard after doing this.
Download the latest from the ASUS website.

TomH426

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
Also make sure you have your memory sticks in the Blue slots.
and you might want to double-check the power connections to the motherboard. take them off and reseat them if you have not already. make sure your power cable is unplugged when you do this.

Animato_

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
I can't find a MEM OK button on the motherboard or anything in the manual(nor on the manuals motherboard schematic) regarding it.

I have moved the memory to blue slots, I have also removed the GPU for the time being so I can get a clearer look at things.

I was reading through this thread and noticed what it says with #2. My m/b has a 24 pin socket and my power supply has a 20 pin and 4 pin connector, these are tied together and have arrows indicating they should be beside each other. I have these both in so that all 24 pins have a connector, I don't know if this is a problem.

I have also tried loosening the screws on the motherboard, as suggested by another thread I was reading with the same problem. Here.

The issue is still present.

TomH426

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
yes the 20 pin and the 4 pin go together. But there is also an 8 pin that needs to be connected as well.
Do you have that connected?
it would be towards the top rear of the m/b

Surgeking

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
You need to have a few things properly set and powered in order to pass the self test. YOU should hear a beep.

CPU is powered by it's own plug. Some MB need to have the cpu fan plug in to start ( or so i read).

RAM. any amount. just for ease of use i'd just use 1 stick for troubleshooting.

hard drive

Keyboard.

Graphics. if you have on board graphics you can use that for sake of simplicity. at the moment you just really want to pass the self test.

Try re-seating and checking pins in all connections. Bent pins etc.

If you have access to spare computer/parts you can test each individual part. To help rule out hardware failure.

Animato_

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

Hahahaha! Oh boy, do I feel like a total idiot - and here I was starting to think I'd fried something. Thank you so much, I did not have the 8-pin connected as I assumed it was an optional connector to the 24 pin.

It has now started and is on the boot screen. :D