Sign in with
Your question

GTX 690 Slow StartUp

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 2, 2012 2:28:10 AM

Hello,
I am having very slow WIN 7 start up with my new ASUS GTX 690.

I do not get this issue with my ASUS GTX 590

This new video card is a RMA replacement since the other video card was giving me the same problem.

So i know for a fact is not a defective video card.

Specs:

Asus GTX 690 (only one)

Gigabyte G1 Sniper 2

i7 3770 Ivy

Power Supply: Seasonic Platinum 1000 Watt

Does anyone have any idea as to what could be causing the 690 to start up the OS so slow.

I have no idea what it might be.
Maybe something with the bios?

Even when i do a clean install it runs super slow

Making the computer impossible to use on both OS start up or clean install.

Can anyone please help

More about : gtx 690 slow startup

a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 2:41:33 AM

okay I once had a very similar problem with my gtx 670 sli setup. The thing is one of my gpus was faulty. When I put the faulty gpu on the main slot, the display driver would show error and it won't load. However, when I put the faulty gpu on the secondary slot and the good one on the main slot. Then I would experience the horrendously slow system start up and lag you are speaking of right now. So the possible explanation I can come up with is- since the gtx 690 is made out of 2 gtx680s. Maybe one of the gtx 680 boards is faulty. Are you 100% sure they gave you a new gtx690 after RMA and did not just return the faulty one back to you? Can you try out the gpu on another rig( friends, families or local pc store) to make sure it is not faulty. If the gpu turns out to be good for sure, then you can check if pci express 3.0 is activated on your bios and some other stuff like that. You can use gpu-z fpr that matter. But before you do any of that, please make sure the gpu is working fine like you think it does.
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:46:03 AM

Yes, i am sure it is not faulty

I have both video cards with me and they both give off the same problem.

I have the one i have to return to ASUS and the RMA replacement here with me plus and ASUS GTX 590

All in total i have 3 video cards

one 590 and two 690s

can you please help me solve this =(

1000 watts should be more than enough to run one gtx 690 so why am i getting this problem with the 690
and not the 590?
m
l
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 2:49:34 AM

have you activated sli in nv control panel? just making sure here.
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:52:15 AM

No how do i do that?

I only want to use one 690

Isn't SLI for two 690s?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 2:55:10 AM

Here is Guru3D's power supply recommendation:

GeForce GTX 690 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 750 Watt power supply unit.
GeForce GTX 690 SLI - On your average system the cards require you to have a 950 Watt power supply unit as minimum.

If you are going to overclock the GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina.
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:56:14 AM

I have 1000 watt power supply and i want to use just one 690.
I just want someone to help me solve the slow startup issue i am having with the one asus gtx 690
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 2:57:08 AM

MeNoLikeConsoles said:
I have 1000 watt power supply and i want to use just one 690.
I just want someone to help me solve the slow startup issue i am having with the one asus gtx 690
oh i thought you said you had two 690 my bad sorry :( 
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:59:55 AM

I do

One was the one i purchased and the other is and RMA replacement.

I was having the same problem with the other 690 so i requested a replacement.

Now i know that the 690 is not at all faulty because i have them both here and both give me the same slow as hell start up problem
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 3:00:49 AM

MeNoLikeConsoles said:
I do

One was the one i purchased and the other is and RMA replacement.

I was having the same problem with the other 690 so i requested a replacement.

Now i know that the 690 is not at all faulty because i have them both here and both give me the same slow as hell start up problem
That is really weird i never been lucky enough to own a 690 i am to poor lol so i have no idea how to help sorry
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:05:51 AM

Thanks for trying bro

I am not rich at all which is why i am trying to solve this problem so that i can return one of 690s as soon as possible.

Maybe ill end up just returning them both cause this problem is giving me a headache
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 3:10:55 AM

So its working fine with the 590? What are you booting from?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 3:10:59 AM

MeNoLikeConsoles said:
Thanks for trying bro

I am not rich at all which is why i am trying to solve this problem so that i can return one of 690s as soon as possible.

Maybe ill end up just returning them both cause this problem is giving me a headache
No problem bro

Yeah i would feel the same way if i was in your shoes that's allot of money so if you can't figure it out return it right away that's a bunch of bs. :pfff: 
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:13:38 AM

Yes my 590 its working fine.
When you ask what am i booting from what do you mean?

I have Windows 7 Ultimate and my motherboard is a Gigabyte G1 Sniper 2
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 3:14:07 AM

SSD?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 3:16:31 AM

Suppose its not gonna make a difference though if your 590 is working.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 3:22:31 AM

I really can't think of much to try, If its working with a 590 your SLi settings should be good. Very unlucky to get 2 dodgy cards. The only other suggestion I have would be to try it in another machine if possible.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 3:24:21 AM

I just thought of something go to your start menu type in msconfig.exe hit enter a thing called system configuration should pop up when it does go to the tab that says start up look at all the things on the list if it's allot more than five that could be your problem EDIT -never mind forgot you said it only happens when you are using the 690 my bad.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 3:27:24 AM

I have never owned a dual gpu, but from what I know- you need to activate sli in nvidia control panel to utilise both gpus on the board. I could be wrong here but its worth a shot.

download http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/ and check if sli is enabled for your system.
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:28:31 AM

I have no one else nor another machine.

I guess ill just return the video card and leave it at that.

This thing is to complicated and i cant find a solution for it anywhere =(

Thanks for the help though guys
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 3:28:57 AM

What is your CPU and GPU usage?
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:32:35 AM

paddys09 said:
What is your CPU and GPU usage?

What do you mean?

Be more specific i am a noob when it comes to these things
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:32:42 AM

shamsmu said:
I have never owned a dual gpu, but from what I know- you need to activate sli in nvidia control panel to utilise both gpus on the board. I could be wrong here but its worth a shot.

download http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/SysInfo/GPU-Z/ and check if sli is enabled for your system.
I don't have and option for SLI

I believe the 590 is dual gpu as well and it runs fine.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 3:35:28 AM

Sorry dude, you can monitor your cpu usage from windows task manager, under the performance tab. For GPU usage download MSI afterburner.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 3:37:35 AM

MeNoLikeConsoles said:
I have no one else nor another machine.

I guess ill just return the video card and leave it at that.

This thing is to complicated and i cant find a solution for it anywhere =(

Thanks for the help though guys

I'm sorry to hear that, wish I could help in any way :sweat: 

still have you checked if sli is enabled?

open nvidia control panel, manage 3d settings and then select sli configuration- use maximum setting or something. Its worth a shot give it a go.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 3:45:39 AM

Another possibility is take make sure your motherboard has the latest Bios, which should be available from Gigabytes website
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:47:58 AM

Yes it has the latest bios.

The latest bios for my board is named F5
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 3:51:01 AM

Damn, really thought that may have been it due to the ivy bridge or pci-e. Any joy with monitoring the usage?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 3:54:05 AM

If SLi is enabled you could also try disabling it to see if that makes any difference.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 4:04:47 AM

Have you checked to make sure you have the latest drivers installed ?
m
l
August 2, 2012 4:10:06 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Have you checked to make sure you have the latest drivers installed ?

Yes i always download the latest drivers for the video card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 4:14:57 AM

Did you download MSI afterburner?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 185 U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 4:20:13 AM

MeNoLikeConsoles said:
Yes i always download the latest drivers for the video card.
:lol:  o.k. just checking bro. ;) 
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:46:57 PM

paddys09 said:
Did you download MSI afterburner?
Yes
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 3:49:58 PM

Ok what is the GPU usage? (2nd graph down on the right hand side)

What is the CPU usage? (CTRL+ALT+DEL) > Start windows task manager > Performance tab.
m
l
August 2, 2012 4:06:30 PM

paddys09 said:
Ok what is the GPU usage? (2nd graph down on the right hand side)

What is the CPU usage? (CTRL+ALT+DEL) > Start windows task manager > Performance tab.

it goes up and down from 0% to 6%
m
l
August 2, 2012 4:09:46 PM

This is the craziest issue i ever seen.No one has any idea what the solution is.Who ever has a fix will be the computer trouble shoot genius in my book.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 4:12:46 PM

Is it running slow all the time or just on start up? and was that the usage for the CPU or GPU?
m
l
August 2, 2012 10:28:21 PM

paddys09 said:
Is it running slow all the time or just on start up? and was that the usage for the CPU or GPU?

Hey guys
after countless days of trying to figure out the windows 7 slow start up problem with the GTX 690
the problem has finally been solved thanks to one of the gigabyte customer support guys which considered
turning off my CPU integrated HD 4000 graphics to see if it was a compatibility issue with the two.

And go figure it was the darn on board VGA that was conflicting with the GTX 690

I went into the bios settings: ADVANCED BIOS FEATURES/ ON BOARD VGA / ENABLE IF NO EXT PEG / SAVE BIOS SETTING and boom slow win 7 star up gone.

Now that this is out the way everything runs fine all until i run a video on youtube or play a game.

I get a 3 second lag now on both gaming and videos

So i went into the nvidia control panel and turned off dual gpu and now it runs with no lag.

Nvidia customer support is now trying to help me figure out why i get the lag with both gpu's running at the same time which is the MAXIMIZE 3D PERFORMANCE in the nvidia control panel.

Anyone know what might be the problem now?

It took me for ever to figure out the first problem with the WINDOWS 7 taking for ever to start up

Now i have this new one which is not as bad as the first one cause i can now at least surf the web and game with one gpu running.
m
l
!