Sign in with
Your question

ASUS HD7770-2GD5 causing constant gamming freezes please help.

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 2, 2012 2:52:57 AM

I just build my fir gaming rig, the specs are:

CPU: AMD FX-4170 black edition Zambezi 4.2GHz
GPU: ASUS HD7770-2GD5 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 2GB 128-bit GDDR5
MOBO: MSI 990FXA-GD80V2
RAM: G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 timing: 9-9-9-24
PSU: Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W with +3.3V@24A, +5V@24A, +12V@50A, -12V@0.5A, +5Vsb@2.5A
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue RFHWD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM
Optical: none installed.

And Im going completely insane trying to find the source of game-play freezes. Basically my computer is totally fine for everything except game-play (truly annoying because I built it with that in mind). When ever I launch a game the entire system freezes up, no mouse, no keyboard, forcing me to do a hard restart. Sometimes I can get 1-3 minutes into the game, other times i get nowhere.

I believe the problem to be with the GPU, as it is a fairly new card, and all the freezes are all 3d rendering biased. Also I recently RMAed my RAM and PSU and got the ones listed above.

After the computer freezes up I have checked the Event viewer and nothing shows up, I get an error about the computer rebooting in an improper way (to be expected as I have to do a hard reset) but I don't get any messages for anything else going wrong.

I've done the following to and find the source of the problem:
1. multiple CMOS resets.
2. a complete OS reinstall
3. HD integrity check (fine)
4. Windows memory digonostic tool (all good)
5. running with one stick of ram at a time (nothing)
6. updating to 12.6 beta video catalyst drivers (I read that this might fix the problem)
7. underclocking my card (it came factory OCed to 1020MHz I put it at 1000Mhz which is stock)
8. reinstalling Directex
9. turning off LSPM for the PCI express slots through windows power manager.

Further more I ran Futuremark to see if I could reproduce the freeze, and I saw no problems. Under 100% load I there was no freeze, my GPU got a little hot but nothing too bad, mid 50c peaking at almost 60 when I stopped it (After about 10-15 min). Also heat isn't the problem, None of the components ever get that hot, 40c idle, 45c load, and 50c heavy load.

I'm really tearing my hair out here, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much!

More about : asus hd7770 2gd5 causing constant gamming freezes

a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 2:56:49 AM

the problem is the HD 7770 isn't really a 3D rendering type card ?
m
l
August 2, 2012 3:14:42 AM

gamerkila57 said:
the problem is the HD 7770 isn't really a 3D rendering type card ?

What do you mean? it won't work for gaming? All I want to do is play most new games!
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 3:25:45 AM

sorry thought you meant 3D rendering not gamning ? RMA the card as i think its the source of your problems ?
m
l
a c 106 U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 3:45:49 AM

I would clear drivers with driver sweeper and try a different CCC
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 3:48:33 AM

also have you tried 12.7 CCC ?
m
l
August 2, 2012 10:44:58 AM

My guess is that it's the HD7770 driver that messes things up. I got the overclocked Sapphire-edition of the same card and have had basically the same problem as you. I tried to fix the problem with the very same steps as you with little luck. The only thing that was able to let me play was to update my drivers to the 12.7 beta drivers. That hasn't solved my problem since I still get freezes a few times a week but at least I am able to play now. With the 12.6 drivers and earlier every game freezed for me after a few minutes.
m
l
August 2, 2012 5:34:02 PM

mrbadmouth said:
My guess is that it's the HD7770 driver that messes things up. I got the overclocked Sapphire-edition of the same card and have had basically the same problem as you. I tried to fix the problem with the very same steps as you with little luck. The only thing that was able to let me play was to update my drivers to the 12.7 beta drivers. That hasn't solved my problem since I still get freezes a few times a week but at least I am able to play now. With the 12.6 drivers and earlier every game freezed for me after a few minutes.

Its good to hear that someone else is having the same problem. Im going to try the 12.7 beta drivers now and see how they do. I also read that the factory OC can sometimes cause problems, maybe try lowering the core clock and see if that helps.
m
l
August 2, 2012 6:09:18 PM

I tired the 12.7 beta drivers, nothing. They didn't help.
m
l
August 3, 2012 1:50:14 PM

Did you do a clean install?
m
l
November 4, 2012 11:36:42 PM

does it also freeze if you run a gpu benchmark, like cinebench open gl test? if it does then thats a faulty card. if it doesnt, it may be something else, or a driver issue. id also recommend sing msi afterburner and lowering the clockrate. the oc may be unstable (has happened before with this particular chip)
m
l
November 4, 2012 11:53:43 PM

DasCondor said:
I just build my fir gaming rig, the specs are:

CPU: AMD FX-4170 black edition Zambezi 4.2GHz
GPU: ASUS HD7770-2GD5 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 2GB 128-bit GDDR5
MOBO: MSI 990FXA-GD80V2
RAM: G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 timing: 9-9-9-24
PSU: Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W with +3.3V@24A, +5V@24A, +12V@50A, -12V@0.5A, +5Vsb@2.5A
HD: Western Digital Caviar Blue RFHWD3200AAJS 320GB 7200 RPM
Optical: none installed.

And Im going completely insane trying to find the source of game-play freezes. Basically my computer is totally fine for everything except game-play (truly annoying because I built it with that in mind). When ever I launch a game the entire system freezes up, no mouse, no keyboard, forcing me to do a hard restart. Sometimes I can get 1-3 minutes into the game, other times i get nowhere.

I believe the problem to be with the GPU, as it is a fairly new card, and all the freezes are all 3d rendering biased. Also I recently RMAed my RAM and PSU and got the ones listed above.

After the computer freezes up I have checked the Event viewer and nothing shows up, I get an error about the computer rebooting in an improper way (to be expected as I have to do a hard reset) but I don't get any messages for anything else going wrong.

I've done the following to and find the source of the problem:
1. multiple CMOS resets.
2. a complete OS reinstall
3. HD integrity check (fine)
4. Windows memory digonostic tool (all good)
5. running with one stick of ram at a time (nothing)
6. updating to 12.6 beta video catalyst drivers (I read that this might fix the problem)
7. underclocking my card (it came factory OCed to 1020MHz I put it at 1000Mhz which is stock)
8. reinstalling Directex
9. turning off LSPM for the PCI express slots through windows power manager.

Further more I ran Futuremark to see if I could reproduce the freeze, and I saw no problems. Under 100% load I there was no freeze, my GPU got a little hot but nothing too bad, mid 50c peaking at almost 60 when I stopped it (After about 10-15 min). Also heat isn't the problem, None of the components ever get that hot, 40c idle, 45c load, and 50c heavy load.

I'm really tearing my hair out here, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all so much!

Try to update the BIOS.
m
l
April 19, 2013 9:34:10 AM

I'm having the same problem with the same GPU,same ammount and frecvency ram and 4-core CPU....I tried many things,but none of them work....
m
l
August 13, 2013 10:59:42 AM

I also have problem
Company of heroes 2 crashes to desktop all the time
Crysis after mission 1 complete can't continue to play anymore
I update my driver to beta 13.5
Noting changed
My system is
4th gen i5
Sabertooth z87
Kingston 8gb gaming
Hd7770-2gd5
m
l
January 14, 2014 5:37:36 AM

Set the GPU clock settings in CCC to 990 MHz and leave High performance memory clock settings to 1150 MHz.
Only turn up the fan to 65% if running a game.

Leave power control settings to 0% and your games will play perfectly with out freezing.
The OC edition on these cards are garbage but run any game at high 60+fps depending on your motherboard and processor and ram. Also go into gaming 3D Application settings and set the texture filtering quality to performance for more frame rate and stability, it's rare that a game will quit or freeze if set to balanced and High Quality. You notice a difference in Quality but not too much to worry about it if the graphics are set high or ultra in game. Here's some screenshots.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/28/ojvm.png
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/800x600q90/812/aqgi.pn...

The only stable driver is 13.4 the rest are shit because they do this on purpose you get what you pay for. I know this for a fact because they're a bunch of retards coding it.
m
l
January 23, 2014 12:57:41 PM

We were having a freezing problem when gaming and using the ASUS driver, worked OK w/o the driver, but then no game graphics acceleration.

Kept trying to reduce GPU and Memory frequencies and power and increase the graphics card fan speed believing something was getting too warm. Hard to determine if any of this actually made things better.

Then I remembered some people up the CPU voltage to get their system to be more stable when overclocked. The Raydeon Catalist software accessible through the advanced display settings provides the ability to adjust the "power" to the card - I believe this is through increasing the voltage. Anyway I tried increasing the power by 7% and so far the card and system seems very stable.
m
l
!