ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5 tolerable temperature

cyclone82

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I just got my new ASUS HD7870-DC2-2GD5. I tried quickly a game and open up my HDWmonitor to check the tremperature.
At idle the temperation is pretty good 36C but when I play a game (Sims3 and CIV 5 Gods and Kings) it hits the high mark 73C in HDWmonitor.

Is this normal for this card? Its not even that hot in my area since its midnight. Im afraid it would go as high as 80C when playing the whole day
which I normally would during weekends. I did not do any overclocking as well. btw my case is Cooler Master Sniper black edition.

Is there something wrong with this card? Will I be in danger of overheating and destroying my card?

My old Palit GTS250 would only go as high as 69C.

Thank you in advance

JKatwyopc

Distinguished
That temp is not terrible although you could probably get it to stay lower by enabling the fan profiles so that when the temp goes above a certain point the fan speeds up. Is your fan getting louder when the temp goes up? You can use MSI Afterburner to setup a fan profile if you can't do it with your existing software package.

cyclone82

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
thank you JKatwyopc. I only have the Asus GPU Tweak but I did not really touch it.
Current fan settings is set to "automatic" at idle it shows fan usage is 20%.

I have not really notice the sound difference but maybe im not really that conscious on it. But I'll check again.

This maybe a stupid question but can I use the MSI Afterburner even if I have an Asus GPU?