Building PC for HDTV

Hello,

I am about to start the process of building a PC to connect to my HDTV, but this will be my first build.

I am undecided about what type of motherboard and processor to get. I don't know if I need a processor with HD capabilities and a motherboard with an HDMI output, or if I can just go with whatever I want and get an HD video card with an HDMI ouput. Do I need an HD processor regardless, or only if I want to skip the video card and go with one built into the motherboard?

Thanks guys.

[edited]

Approximate Purchase Date: all next week

Budget Range: under $600

System Usage from Most to Least Important: statistical analysis (R), data mining (weka), watching movies (blu-ray), regular computing (web surfing, music, etc.), minimal lite gaming (nothing hardware-demanding, just stuff like Civ V)

Are you buying a monitor: No. PC will connect to 46" Samsung 1080p.

Parts to Upgrade: all PC parts needed. Case >= 300W; RAM >2GB; prefer SATA; would *like* Blu-ray drive that also reads DVDs, but not essential.

Do you need to buy OS: No, will use Linux Ubuntu

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg, tigerdirect

Parts Preferences: ambivalent between Intel and AMD. According to a review on this website AMD are better for lower noise output, but I don't know if I would notice the difference.

Overclocking: Maybe, but probably not

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200 or if you're upgrading please state what you'd want to get)

Additional Comments: will possibly use virtual machine in the future.

Why Are You Upgrading: I have an old Mac and hate it. I want an efficient machine to work on and to watch movies on since it will connect to my TV.
2 answers Last reply
More about building hdtv
  1. Check the sticky on the systems forums. it has a questionnaire that want to use. something about ( "how to ask for builds") this will keep you from having to answer tons of questions that are sure to come =)

i would edit Original post here, copy and paste the questions then answer in the edit, or just type it out.

This will help everyone in helping you out.
  2. Question edited.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems