Hardware question for new PC build for HDTV

sir mac

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Hello,

I am about to start the process of building a PC to connect to my HDTV, but this will be my first build, so I have some questions. I'll start with one.

I am undecided about what type of motherboard and processor to get. I don't know if I need a processor with HD capabilities and a motherboard with an HDMI output, or if I can just go with whatever I want and get an HD video card with an HDMI ouput. Do I need an HD processor regardless, or only if I want to skip the video card and go with one built into the motherboard?

Thanks guys.

broodfusion

Honorable
Sep 7, 2012
for cpu, intel sandy bridge and ivy bridge cpus both come with integrated graphics (only difference is the graphics from the ivy bridge cpu are more advanced) so as long as your motherboard has an hdmi output (even if it doesn't, a dvi output) it will be OK.

Now it comes down to what you'll be doing mostly on this PC, gaming/video editing, then get a graphics card, most up-to-date ones should have a hdmi connector, or if you're just mainly surfing the web, casual to no gaming, then a ivy bridge cpu i3570k, would serve you well enough.

Also, how big is your hdtv? I also use hdtv as a monitor and it's only 24inches.

Hope this helps.

sir mac

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

I have a 46" 1080p.

Computer will run Linux. I will be using it to do statistical analysis (mainly using R), to watch movies (planning on buying Blu-ray), web surfing, and some lite gaming (nothing graphics-heavy; games like Civ V).

I'm gathering based on other builds I've read about that I do not need a motherboard with an HDMI output or an HD processor if I get an HD motherboard with HDMI output. Is that correct?

I am hoping to get a great deal on the total system in the end though, which will probably lead me to just using a motherboard with onboard graphics and HDMI. Would this entail greater noise emission?

Very appreciative of your help.