Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Question about current Power Supply

Last response: in Components
February 4, 2013 6:58:36 PM

Hi all, I've been looking into buying a new GPU and the thought that perhaps I might need a better PSU came to mind, so I need some help.

I'm thinking of buying a GeForce GTX 550 Ti and I currently own the RS-500-PCAR-D3 from COOLERMASTER, a 500w PSU. My knowledge of PSUs is very little and I just need to know if this will cut it or If I need to upgrade and if so then what is a good budget PSU.

As for details, I do heavy gaming (currently BF3 and planning on Crysis 3 and games of that nature). Here is the rest of my system.

CPU: AMD FX-4100 4.0GHz (Quad Core Zambezi)
Mobo/Ram: 970A-D3 GIGABYTE / 8GB G.SkiLL
Peripherals/etc: One SATA 250GB HDD, about 4 USB peripherals attached, 3 internal fans (somewhat small), one DVD/R Drive. Monitor native resolution is 1680x1050.

If needed I dont mind purchasing online from newegg or tigerdirect or places like that (currently residing in the USA)

Again I just want to know if the PSU I have will cut it with my system and future purchase of the new GPU for my gaming purposes and what I should get should an upgrade be in order.

Best solution

a c 1198 ) Power supply
February 4, 2013 7:32:40 PM

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W (RS500-PCARD3-US), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps and with one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, is sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics card.
February 4, 2013 7:42:14 PM

ko888 said:
For a system using a single GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 400 Watt or greater system power supply that has a maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Combined Continuous Power/Current Available on the +12V Rail(s) rated at 45°C - 50°C ambient temperature, is the most important factor.

Overclocking of the CPU and/or GPU(s) will require an additional increase to the maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current ratings, recommended above, to meet the increase in power required for the overclock. The additional amount required will depend on the magnitude of the overclock being attempted.

The Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W (RS500-PCARD3-US), with its maximum combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps and with one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector, is sufficient to power your system configuration with a single GeForce GTX 550 Ti graphics card.

lol there is alot of technical terms in there but what I gathered is that I am all set in terms of the PSU with my current rig, i appreciate the extra detail as well. Overclocking isn't something I do so I won't need to worry about that, thank you very much for this reply.
Score
February 4, 2013 7:42:48 PM

Best answer selected by exodusonfire.
Score
!