Can you overclock the GPU in a prebuilt system?

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
Hello, I have a Dell XPS 8500 Special Edition.

Intel Core i7 3770 3.4GHz

AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB GDDR5

16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM

460W PSU

Can you overclock the video card in a prebuilt like this? Would I need to upgrade the PSU in order to do so? I realize the power supply is lacking. I am planning on getting something around 700W soon.

Thanks,

Solution
D
You sure you only have a 460w PSU? AMD recommends a 500w power supply for a system with an HD 7870 in it and OEMs usually go with those guidelines. That being said, Dell has really stepped up the quality of their power supplies and I'm sure what you have provides plenty of 12v amps ( more imporant than total watts ).

Yes you can overclock you graphics card. Either with the AMD driver or a 3rd party tool like MSI Afterburner.
D

Deleted member 217926

You sure you only have a 460w PSU? AMD recommends a 500w power supply for a system with an HD 7870 in it and OEMs usually go with those guidelines. That being said, Dell has really stepped up the quality of their power supplies and I'm sure what you have provides plenty of 12v amps ( more imporant than total watts ).

Yes you can overclock you graphics card. Either with the AMD driver or a 3rd party tool like MSI Afterburner.

Solution

stant1rm

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012

And how quickly did you have to reverse the overclock before you damaged the GPU?

D

Deleted member 217926

Not enough to matter. Dell is very good with power supplies an would not put one in that is straining to run at the limits. As I said above amps are more important than watts.