Sign in with
Your question

GFX Card update?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 2, 2012 6:35:07 AM

My computer has been good to me, but I would like to update the graphics card to play better games E.G: I only get30 fps on skyrim on high quality, and 40 fps with mw3, etc... Im a noob with computers so would anyone care to tell me what graphics card i should go with for my cpmputer specs, amd or nvidia, and can anyone tell me a good gfx card that will work with my pc, and is better then my current one? one more things, my friend told me i could buy the exact same gfx card and put 2 of the same ones in one pc, to make it better, is this true?

SPECS

HP pavilion p7 1261
AMD Quadcore a6-3650 accelerated proceesor 2.6 ghz
6gb ddr3
1tb hdd
amd radeon hd 6530d graphics
Motherboard:AAHD2-HY (Holly)
power supply: 300 W

More about : gfx card update

a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 7:50:18 AM

Yes, if you put two of the same graphics cards in your system and make them work in Crossfire or SLI, you'll get more performance.

Since you already have an APU with onboard HD6530D, I would recommend you to get the Radeon HD6670 so you can have it work in Dual Graphics mode.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
August 2, 2012 2:16:38 PM

mocchan said:
Yes, if you put two of the same graphics cards in your system and make them work in Crossfire or SLI, you'll get more performance.

Since you already have an APU with onboard HD6530D, I would recommend you to get the Radeon HD6670 so you can have it work in Dual Graphics mode.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

so if i get 2 radeon hd 6670, i can put them in my pc? will i need to change the proceesors? will everything fit ok?
m
l
Related resources
August 2, 2012 3:29:46 PM

explodingnoob said:
My computer has been good to me, but I would like to update the graphics card to play better games E.G: I only get30 fps on skyrim on high quality, and 40 fps with mw3, etc... Im a noob with computers so would anyone care to tell me what graphics card i should go with for my cpmputer specs, amd or nvidia, and can anyone tell me a good gfx card that will work with my pc, and is better then my current one? one more things, my friend told me i could buy the exact same gfx card and put 2 of the same ones in one pc, to make it better, is this true?

SPECS

HP pavilion p7 1261
AMD Quadcore a6-3650 accelerated proceesor 2.6 ghz
6gb ddr3
1tb hdd
amd radeon hd 6530d graphics
Motherboard:AAHD2-HY (Holly)
power supply: 300 W

Considering that is an HP machine, it is very likely that you cannot put anything in it that actually need external power. I would highly suggest on checking if you have atleast a 6pin power connector before you buy any card.

I also checked that motherboard, it does NOT contain 2 pci-e slots so you cannot use 2 cards in it
Also i can say from personal experience, you cannot "upgrade" a HP power
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 6:03:02 PM

explodingnoob said:
so if i get 2 radeon hd 6670, i can put them in my pc? will i need to change the proceesors? will everything fit ok?

I wouldn't recommend getting two 6670's, just get one, and put it in Dual Graphics mode along side your integrated graphics.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 6:04:01 PM

Spacepig said:
Considering that is an HP machine, it is very likely that you cannot put anything in it that actually need external power. I would highly suggest on checking if you have atleast a 6pin power connector before you buy any card.

I also checked that motherboard, it does NOT contain 2 pci-e slots so you cannot use 2 cards in it
Also i can say from personal experience, you cannot "upgrade" a HP power

Great point about the PSU, I know the 6670 won't need a 6 pin, but I'm still a little concerned if it'll provide enough juice or not.

I've also upgraded plenty of HP towers before, so I know what I'm doing. However, I didn't really check to see if OP's tower was a slim model or not, so as long as it's a normal mid-sized ATX case, he should be fine.
m
l
August 2, 2012 8:22:37 PM

mocchan said:
Great point about the PSU, I know the 6670 won't need a 6 pin, but I'm still a little concerned if it'll provide enough juice or not.

I've also upgraded plenty of HP towers before, so I know what I'm doing. However, I didn't really check to see if OP's tower was a slim model or not, so as long as it's a normal mid-sized ATX case, he should be fine.

its not slim. so to get his correctly i can upgrade toSAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6670 no problem? also, is it possible to change the motherboard to a better one, any recoomedations?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 8:40:04 PM

explodingnoob said:
its not slim. so to get his correctly i can upgrade toSAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6670 no problem? also, is it possible to change the motherboard to a better one, any recoomedations?

Yes, I don't think you'll have any issues. Since your current CPU already has on-board video, your PC is relatively empty (power consumption wise)

Your CPU consumes 100w, then consider around 50w for your other components inside your PC, that's a total power consumption of 150w at most. Then taking into consideration that the HD6670 only uses around 60w, that's a MAX power consumption of 210w.

It's cutting it close for your PSU, it's usually recommended to leave ~100w headroom on your PSU, however I don't think this should prove too much of an issue.

If your PSU concerns you, then I will recommend this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... a basic PSU upgrade that will be more than enough for your components.

Also, you can upgrade to a new motherboard, however it'll cost you around $75 plus an additional $100 for a copy of Windows, so I don't think it's worth it at the moment.

m
l
August 2, 2012 8:43:33 PM

mocchan said:
Yes, I don't think you'll have any issues. Since your current CPU already has on-board video, your PC is relatively empty (power consumption wise)

Your CPU consumes 100w, then consider around 50w for your other components inside your PC, that's a total power consumption of 150w at most. Then taking into consideration that the HD6670 only uses around 60w, that's a MAX power consumption of 210w.

It's cutting it close for your PSU, it's usually recommended to leave ~100w headroom on your PSU, however I don't think this should prove too much of an issue.

If your PSU concerns you, then I will recommend this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... a basic PSU upgrade that will be more than enough for your components.

Also, you can upgrade to a new motherboard, however it'll cost you around $75 plus an additional $100 for a copy of Windows, so I don't think it's worth it at the moment.

ok thanks a lot for your help!

EDIT! I have a 500w PSU in my garage that was supposed to go to ym moms pc but never did, still in box brand new, will i be able to put this in no problem aswell? also it says the radeon 6670 requires minimum of 400w psu, is it possible to still use my 300watt?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
August 2, 2012 8:43:53 PM

explodingnoob said:
ok thanks a lot for your help!

You're very welcome :) 
m
l
!