Gigabyte Radeon 6870 OC Version Thermal Paste

mk11

Honorable
Jul 12, 2012
Hello.

I want to change the thermal paste on my 6870 but I don't know how to do it, I made a little research but it seems like no one has my gpu, they all made instructions on how to change the thermal paste on 6870 cards from a different brand than mine , wich has 3 fans attached on it, you could see it here:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3663#ov

The reason I'm changing the thermal paste its because my gpu gets very hot while I'm playing videogames, it reachs beetween 88c and 100c under load and 63c on idle.
I bought it brand new about 3 weeks ago so it should be working well, it has no dust or something.
My gaming case also has no dust and its well ventilated with 1 exhaust fan in the back, 1 intake fan on the front and a 220 fan on the rear close to the gpu, you people could see my gaming case here:

http://www.mypixxo.com/product-p/cg-dim2-rl.htm

I tried opening the case and I still got the same temps, I also tried to put a huge fan close to the opened case and I still got the same hot temps, so I'm willing to take the risk and change the thermal paste.

Solution
Gigabyte6870.png

From the looks of it, there should be screws around that area. I didn't see anything where the DVI outputs are, so you should be fine.

Also, there should be a fan connector after you unscrew those, so be sure to gently unplug that.

I've changed the TIM on my brother's XFX Double D 6870, different card, but generally the same idea :lol: you'll see better temps if you do it right. Good luck!
Gigabyte6870.png

From the looks of it, there should be screws around that area. I didn't see anything where the DVI outputs are, so you should be fine.

Also, there should be a fan connector after you unscrew those, so be sure to gently unplug that.

I've changed the TIM on my brother's XFX Double D 6870, different card, but generally the same idea :lol: you'll see better temps if you do it right. Good luck!

Solution