sianyde

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2001
Is it possible to build your own notebook? Has anyone ever done it? I've seen sites to buy notebook memory, processors, modems, and keypads, but what about mainboards, cases, and displays for notebooks?

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
I don't believe anyone sells the parts and resources to build one from scratch. It's possible to do upgrades, such as processor, memory, even video in some cases. But the problem is that every laptop is different in design, requiring different and very specific cables, mounts and hardware to hold it all together. It wouldn't be worth the trouble. If you need to get something specific I'm sure you can custom order what you need from most manufacturers.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

WiseGuy1

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2001
If your just looking to piece one together to save a few bucks you might try Ebay. They usually have a good following of people selling off parts to laptops. You can usually find parts that match simular model laptops. Somebody cracks there monitor and sell it off for parts and that kinda thing. Again, like Mavicator said, I don't know if it would be more of headache than its worth.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by WiseGuy1 on 10/02/01 08:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Yahiko81

Illustrious
Jul 17, 2001
A new display usually costs just as much as the new notebook. Thats why people sell there's for scrap when their display goes belly up.

Nice <b><font color=green>Lizards</b></font color=green> <b>crunch</b> Trolls cookies....... :smile: Yummy!! :smile: