GTX 660TI Overclocked review!

verbalizer

Distinguished
http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4873/nvidia_geforce_gtx_660_ti_2gb_reference_video_card_overclocked/index14.html
bro....
please tell me that this GPU (660 Ti @ 1148) in the review is not taking down the HD 7950 regularly but smacking the HD 7970 on it's arse because it's that close to it as well..
and depending on the game or bench, it get's that too..

am I reading and seeing this correctly.?

If you're about to buy a new video card we'd probably recommend you take the time to hold off a few weeks to see what's going on with the GTX 660 Ti from partners. We're sure AMD don't want to hear it, but looking at what the GTX 660 Ti can do over the past few days, it's hard to tell people to go out and buy a HD 7000 series based video card right now.

In the end the ball is clearly in AMD's court now. What they choose to do with it is unknown, but word is that we'll see a GHz Edition of the HD 7950. While it's possible that this can compete from a performance stand point, we're not 100% sure it will be able to from a price stand point. Still, the coming weeks and months are going to be no doubt very interesting.

reference is cool and awesome, falls in place where it should, maybe better.
but clocked....
wow.

higher resolutions you still need more muscle it seems.
so 1080p maybe 19:12 is sweet.
bigger and you need more.

verbalizer

Distinguished

I'll take that with some truth coming from you....
(compliment, I know you run Radeon...)

P.S.
I was editing posting as I was reading... :lol:

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008

I would think the GTS 512 was the better mid range card... It was as good as the GTX and Ultra when overclocked. Why I picked one up when it came out..

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008

Why wouldn't it be? If you walked into the dealership to find 3 cars all with $50 price differences all with the same motors you would walk away...

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008

I have no denial, doesn't bother me in a least. The stock 660ti will be around $300 to $350 while the overclocked is going to brush the $400 range.. And, do you honestly think nvidia would price a faster card then there 670 for less? I think the videocard market is becoming a joke. Peeps get all crazy when a card like this comes out 8 months after a Raedon release and its almost as fast. Yes, 8 months...

Although it is neat to see that almost every card can perform well for people now. That is good I suppose. hmmm

You're doing a good job of impersonating Malmental, by the way...

Really, the part I love, as someone with a Master's degree in Political Science, is how both sides jockey to frame the issue. First there is the hard cold data from the review, then there is the "spin". I get a kick out of the mental gymnastics some people go through to try to establish superiority or to discount otherwise objective data. Often this spin gets repeated enough that people take it for fact, when in reality it began as mere spin. As Nietzschke wrote: "All truth is simple, is that not doubly a lie?"

verbalizer

Distinguished

who.? ;)

Cool its like the 8800gs all over again, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a half dozen quadro versions of this gpu (GK104) just so they can milk every last nickle and dime out of the consumers.

would 192 bit bus width hurt AA performance and in sli with multiple displays?
for single 1080p display, this card seems to perform very, very well. can't wait for it to debut. these newer cards seem perfectly capable of taking away both performance and power efficiency (long held by amd -6850, 7850) away from amd.
i wonder if nvidia had trouble scaling down gk104 asic as all 3 gpus perform like this.

Terribly naive statement to be making.

AMD releases its Southern Islands ("GCN") architecture to replace the old VLIW4 architecture, it is radically new and uses the 28nm process. Nvidia witholds GK104, the early benefits was that the Tahiti and Pitcairn comprehensively beat Fermi and VLIW4 at high and maintream level, AMD then prices the chips concurrent to Nvidia's pricing and then the GTX 580 was $550 for a Tahiti based card that comprehensively beats the 580 gave carte blanche to AMD to price as high as they did, along with the mainstream pitcairn cards. All is well AMD have the fastest cards out with Nvidia holding on its release of the anticipated GK104. Early concerns with AMD cards was that once rumours came out that the GTX 680 ran off a 1k core clock with turbo boost, the 7970 looked very sandbagged with a modest 920mhz core clock on vanilla cards, the other concern was that AMD had not released exclusive drivers for the GCN based architecture which had performance problems....AMD say hold on we are working on it.

GK104 in the GTX 680 releases and it is a beast of a card, there is a disparity in performance with the 7970 being very underwhelming, Nvidia go one better and release the GTX 670 which intially beats the 7970 as well. AMD reacts by dropping prices initially but come July release reworked tahiti cards baring the GHZ edition monika along with Catalyst 12.6 and 12.7beta which significantly improves the Tahiti cores to match the concurrent GK104 cards. Reviews are out and show that the 670 matches the 7950 and the 680 matches the 7970 cards all within margin of error.

AMD has a few advantages still, first they sold high level cards that can be flashed to newer tahiti and pitcairn bios, meaning they have sold a lot relative to Nvidia. Second Nvidia is a no-show with the 660 still due in the mainstream market with the HD 7800 cards running riot against the older GTX 570 and 580 at a cheaper cost.

The long and short of it is that whether you are team red or team green there is little between them appart from Nvidia having a dual GPU out which AMD are yet to produce. AMD by early release laid down the benchmark which Nvidia only need to just beat which they did. I am not a fan of sequential releasing as all it does is see-saws from AMD to Nvidia to AMD and back, there is no more direct competition where you had to pre-empt your competitors design, now its merely sandbagged releases.

I clicked the link, website looks cheap, read through the speculative reviewing, closed page in horror. There is a ton of doomsaying going around in here.

Considering AMD released well earlier they basically played the hand early and it was comprehensively better than the cards it superceded, but were rather sandbagged with the vanilla 7970's barely sporting 920mhz core clocks. It is also not like GCN has been reworked with Tahiti XT and Pro releasing "GHZ" editions which are notably faster than the vanilla varients, also Pitcairn XT has a ghz edition which has flown under the radar and soon the pro will also have a GHZ edition card. And then there is Catalyst 12.7 which is like a 20% improvement over 12.4 which was the driver set out way back then, in essence showing how fundamental drivers are.

Also nothing is going to happen to AMD, and if anything HD 8000 is out early 2013 why throw unnecessary R&D into a soon to be superceded architecture?