Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GTX 660TI Overclocked review!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b Î Nvidia
August 2, 2012 9:21:39 AM

Sounds promising!
August 2, 2012 9:30:53 AM

:)  Its Gonna be a game changer for the mid range cards! ........Get back in your hole AMD :kaola: 
Related resources
August 2, 2012 5:50:21 PM

Damn, that's awesome!
August 2, 2012 6:05:57 PM

Looks decent. Like all kepler cards, doesn't seem to scale well on OC.
August 2, 2012 6:29:26 PM

Great news I'll be picking up two 7850's when they drop in price.
August 2, 2012 6:36:57 PM

Performance around a 7950/7970. Looks like nVIDIA is back to kick some AMD ass.
August 2, 2012 6:45:56 PM

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/4873/nvidia_geforce_g...
bro....
please tell me that this GPU (660 Ti @ 1148) in the review is not taking down the HD 7950 regularly but smacking the HD 7970 on it's arse because it's that close to it as well..
and depending on the game or bench, it get's that too..

am I reading and seeing this correctly.?

Quote:
If you're about to buy a new video card we'd probably recommend you take the time to hold off a few weeks to see what's going on with the GTX 660 Ti from partners. We're sure AMD don't want to hear it, but looking at what the GTX 660 Ti can do over the past few days, it's hard to tell people to go out and buy a HD 7000 series based video card right now.



In the end the ball is clearly in AMD's court now. What they choose to do with it is unknown, but word is that we'll see a GHz Edition of the HD 7950. While it's possible that this can compete from a performance stand point, we're not 100% sure it will be able to from a price stand point. Still, the coming weeks and months are going to be no doubt very interesting.


reference is cool and awesome, falls in place where it should, maybe better.
but clocked....
wow.

higher resolutions you still need more muscle it seems.
so 1080p maybe 19:12 is sweet.
bigger and you need more.
August 2, 2012 6:51:08 PM

verbalizer said:
bro....
please tell me that this GPU (660 Ti @ 1148) in the review is not taking down the HD 7950 regularly but smacking the HD 7970 on it's arse because it's that close to it as well..
and depending on the game or bench, it get's that too..

am I reading and seeing this correctly.?


Yes you are!

Makes sense to me - it's essentially the same GK104 chip but with a smaller memory bus. There aren't a ton of differences between the GTX 680, 670, and now 660ti, so it's a bit unsurprising to me that it performs this well (remember, full fledged GK104 was originally drawn up as their $300 chip).

This is really, really bad news for AMD. Assuming it all proves true, this will be IMO the best mid-ranged card (at release) since the 8800GTS 320 came around 6 years ago.
August 2, 2012 6:52:04 PM

The 660ti, 670, and 680... are the same cards... When clocked... Rather boring...
August 2, 2012 6:52:32 PM

BigMack70 said:
Yes you are!

Makes sense to me - it's essentially the same GK104 chip but with a smaller memory bus. There aren't a ton of differences between the GTX 680, 670, and now 660ti, so it's a bit unsurprising to me that it performs this well (remember, full fledged GK104 was originally drawn up as their $300 chip).

This is really, really bad news for AMD. Assuming it all proves true, this will be IMO the best mid-ranged card (at release) since the 8800GTS 320 came around 6 years ago.

I'll take that with some truth coming from you....
(compliment, I know you run Radeon...)

P.S.
I was editing posting as I was reading... :lol: 
August 2, 2012 6:52:33 PM

zloginet said:
The 660ti, 670, and 680... are the same cards... When clocked... Rather boring...

says you... ;) 
August 2, 2012 6:53:10 PM

BigMack70 said:
Yes you are!

Makes sense to me - it's essentially the same GK104 chip but with a smaller memory bus. There aren't a ton of differences between the GTX 680, 670, and now 660ti, so it's a bit unsurprising to me that it performs this well (remember, full fledged GK104 was originally drawn up as their $300 chip).

This is really, really bad news for AMD. Assuming it all proves true, this will be IMO the best mid-ranged card (at release) since the 8800GTS 320 came around 6 years ago.



I would think the GTS 512 was the better mid range card... It was as good as the GTX and Ultra when overclocked. Why I picked one up when it came out..
August 2, 2012 6:54:25 PM

verbalizer said:
says you... ;) 



Why wouldn't it be? If you walked into the dealership to find 3 cars all with $50 price differences all with the same motors you would walk away...
August 2, 2012 6:55:50 PM

verbalizer said:
I'll take that with some truth coming from you....
(compliment, I know you run Radeon...)


Most of my vitriol at Nvidia doesn't apply to the 660ti, since this $300 range is where the card (GK104) was supposed to be all along, and at that price point I'm not going to nit-pick cards as much for things I consider gimmicky and broken like GPU boost.

Honestly, if I thought I could get a good return on my 7970s, I'd probably consider selling them and picking up a pair of 660ti's assuming they really do prove to be this good (dunno if I'd actually do it, but I'd at least consider it).
August 2, 2012 6:58:02 PM

zloginet said:
I would think the GTS 512 was the better mid range card... It was as good as the GTX and Ultra when overclocked. Why I picked one up when it came out..


It was just 7-8 months later, which is what made me think of the 8800GTS 320.
August 2, 2012 6:58:45 PM

This overclocked 660ti will not be $300.. Its almost as fast as a 680
August 2, 2012 6:58:49 PM

Holy poorly written article though... jeez.
August 2, 2012 7:00:55 PM

zloginet said:
This overclocked 660ti will not be $300.. Its almost as fast as a 680

that's what the report says...
why such denial.? :/ 
August 2, 2012 7:02:47 PM

zloginet said:
This overclocked 660ti will not be $300.. Its almost as fast as a 680


This is pretty much the same thing that people were saying about the 670 when TT released their early review of that card. I believe a $300 launch. Might do the same thing that the 670 did - launch at the MSRP and then creep upwards until the competition's pricing comes down.

Nvidia sort of planned it this way... they stretched a $300 chip into a $300 card, a $400 card, and a $500 card. This is just the first time that consumers aren't getting screwed by the company.
August 2, 2012 7:07:33 PM

verbalizer said:
that's what the report says...
why such denial.? :/ 



I have no denial, doesn't bother me in a least. The stock 660ti will be around $300 to $350 while the overclocked is going to brush the $400 range.. And, do you honestly think nvidia would price a faster card then there 670 for less? I think the videocard market is becoming a joke. Peeps get all crazy when a card like this comes out 8 months after a Raedon release and its almost as fast. Yes, 8 months...

Although it is neat to see that almost every card can perform well for people now. That is good I suppose. hmmm
August 2, 2012 7:13:19 PM

^^ The card in the review is a reference card, not a custom overclocked one.

Good point about it being 8 months since the 7970 came out... I didn't realize it had been that long!
August 2, 2012 7:21:48 PM

'Winter Is Coming' for AMD :/ 
a c 388 Î Nvidia
August 2, 2012 7:35:37 PM


You're doing a good job of impersonating Malmental, by the way...

Really, the part I love, as someone with a Master's degree in Political Science, is how both sides jockey to frame the issue. First there is the hard cold data from the review, then there is the "spin". I get a kick out of the mental gymnastics some people go through to try to establish superiority or to discount otherwise objective data. Often this spin gets repeated enough that people take it for fact, when in reality it began as mere spin. As Nietzschke wrote: "All truth is simple, is that not doubly a lie?"
August 2, 2012 7:40:30 PM

17seconds said:
You're doing a good job of impersonating Malmental, by the way...

Really, the part I love, as someone with a Master's degree in Political Science, is how both sides jockey to frame the issue. First there is the hard cold data from the review, then there is the "spin". I get a kick out of the mental gymnastics some people go through to try to establish superiority or to discount otherwise objective data. Often this spin gets repeated enough that people take it for fact, when in reality it began as mere spin. As Nietzschke wrote: "All truth is simple, is that not doubly a lie?"

who.? ;) 
a b Î Nvidia
August 3, 2012 12:21:25 AM

Cool its like the 8800gs all over again, I wouldn't be surprised if they made a half dozen quadro versions of this gpu (GK104) just so they can milk every last nickle and dime out of the consumers.
a b Î Nvidia
August 3, 2012 5:13:25 AM

would 192 bit bus width hurt AA performance and in sli with multiple displays?
for single 1080p display, this card seems to perform very, very well. can't wait for it to debut. these newer cards seem perfectly capable of taking away both performance and power efficiency (long held by amd -6850, 7850) away from amd.
i wonder if nvidia had trouble scaling down gk104 asic as all 3 gpus perform like this.
a b Î Nvidia
August 3, 2012 6:28:44 AM

I think i will retire my 570's for two of these if they really preform this well.
August 3, 2012 8:02:12 AM

paddys09 said:
:)  Its Gonna be a game changer for the mid range cards! ........Get back in your hole AMD :kaola: 


Terribly naive statement to be making.

AMD releases its Southern Islands ("GCN") architecture to replace the old VLIW4 architecture, it is radically new and uses the 28nm process. Nvidia witholds GK104, the early benefits was that the Tahiti and Pitcairn comprehensively beat Fermi and VLIW4 at high and maintream level, AMD then prices the chips concurrent to Nvidia's pricing and then the GTX 580 was $550 for a Tahiti based card that comprehensively beats the 580 gave carte blanche to AMD to price as high as they did, along with the mainstream pitcairn cards. All is well AMD have the fastest cards out with Nvidia holding on its release of the anticipated GK104. Early concerns with AMD cards was that once rumours came out that the GTX 680 ran off a 1k core clock with turbo boost, the 7970 looked very sandbagged with a modest 920mhz core clock on vanilla cards, the other concern was that AMD had not released exclusive drivers for the GCN based architecture which had performance problems....AMD say hold on we are working on it.


GK104 in the GTX 680 releases and it is a beast of a card, there is a disparity in performance with the 7970 being very underwhelming, Nvidia go one better and release the GTX 670 which intially beats the 7970 as well. AMD reacts by dropping prices initially but come July release reworked tahiti cards baring the GHZ edition monika along with Catalyst 12.6 and 12.7beta which significantly improves the Tahiti cores to match the concurrent GK104 cards. Reviews are out and show that the 670 matches the 7950 and the 680 matches the 7970 cards all within margin of error.


AMD has a few advantages still, first they sold high level cards that can be flashed to newer tahiti and pitcairn bios, meaning they have sold a lot relative to Nvidia. Second Nvidia is a no-show with the 660 still due in the mainstream market with the HD 7800 cards running riot against the older GTX 570 and 580 at a cheaper cost.


The long and short of it is that whether you are team red or team green there is little between them appart from Nvidia having a dual GPU out which AMD are yet to produce. AMD by early release laid down the benchmark which Nvidia only need to just beat which they did. I am not a fan of sequential releasing as all it does is see-saws from AMD to Nvidia to AMD and back, there is no more direct competition where you had to pre-empt your competitors design, now its merely sandbagged releases.
August 3, 2012 8:04:43 AM

I clicked the link, website looks cheap, read through the speculative reviewing, closed page in horror. There is a ton of doomsaying going around in here.

Considering AMD released well earlier they basically played the hand early and it was comprehensively better than the cards it superceded, but were rather sandbagged with the vanilla 7970's barely sporting 920mhz core clocks. It is also not like GCN has been reworked with Tahiti XT and Pro releasing "GHZ" editions which are notably faster than the vanilla varients, also Pitcairn XT has a ghz edition which has flown under the radar and soon the pro will also have a GHZ edition card. And then there is Catalyst 12.7 which is like a 20% improvement over 12.4 which was the driver set out way back then, in essence showing how fundamental drivers are.


Also nothing is going to happen to AMD, and if anything HD 8000 is out early 2013 why throw unnecessary R&D into a soon to be superceded architecture?
August 3, 2012 8:07:21 AM

sarinaide said:
I clicked the link, website looks cheap, read through the speculative reviewing, closed page in horror.

tweaktown is one of the most unreliable sources for reviews I can think of. This is why they always have leaked reviews since nobody would read them if they were to release a review on launch day with reliable reviewers.

@OP
http://www.techpowerup.com/169906/Swedish-Retailers-Beg...
Over $350 probably for the card.
August 3, 2012 8:27:43 AM

esrever said:
tweaktown is one of the most unreliable sources for reviews I can think of. This is why they always have leaked reviews since nobody would read them if they were to release a review on launch day with reliable reviewers.

@OP
http://www.techpowerup.com/169906/Swedish-Retailers-Beg...
Over $350 probably for the card.


I have stated my position regarding synthetics many a times, having benched enough to know that its myopic at best, how can you trust what is pre-coded to display a specific result? In principle no two chips are the same due to the manufacturing process, but synthetics don't reflect defects they in essence rely on whats embeded in the OS HAL, its completely unreliable.
a b Î Nvidia
August 3, 2012 8:36:33 AM

Guys let's calm down!Bottom line...ATI/AMD and Nvidia both make top notch GPU there no debating that fanboys will be fanboys and claim Nvidia has better drivers ATI/AMD fanboys will ramble on about power efficiency who gives a s*** i don't truth is both company make kick ass cards leave it at that what might be best for you might not be for somebody else.
August 3, 2012 8:38:02 AM

Lol, I volt mod so that basically states my position towards power efficiency.
August 3, 2012 11:01:49 AM

there is someone who is always got to always be negative about all things they do not want to believe in....
a sign of fanboism in denial...

not mentioning anybody but if your offended then the shoe fits..
a b Î Nvidia
August 3, 2012 11:20:28 AM

verbalizer said:
there is someone who is always got to always be negative about all things they do not want to believe in....
a sign of fanboism in denial...

not mentioning anybody but if your offended then the show fits..
+1
a b Î Nvidia
August 3, 2012 12:38:40 PM

de5_Roy said:
would 192 bit bus width hurt AA performance and in sli with multiple displays?
for single 1080p display, this card seems to perform very, very well. can't wait for it to debut. these newer cards seem perfectly capable of taking away both performance and power efficiency (long held by amd -6850, 7850) away from amd.
i wonder if nvidia had trouble scaling down gk104 asic as all 3 gpus perform like this.



Not to badly, what will hurt is that Nvidia didn't decouple 8rop from the disabled memory bus segment and left the card having only 24 rop instead of 32 as with the other cards. 8rop less will show up as a nerf in AA performance but not terribly. Still more than enough bandwidth to keep the gpu well fed.
August 3, 2012 12:53:49 PM

Again they failed to mention the test criteria, things like what benches did they use for the AMD cards where they using the vanilla cards on 12.4 drivers which were not written for the GCN cards, did they even look at the new cards and 12.7 drivers and see the rather substantial margines that it improved performance by?

It is priced at $300 for a reason, no love nor money will ever make it perform like or better than a GTX 670 and the AMD requisites let alone a GTX 680, consider how stupid that will be. I will speculate to say that this card will perform in the GTX 580/HD 7870 realms, considering the 580 is still ludicrously expensive thats a good showing.
a b Î Nvidia
August 3, 2012 2:06:05 PM

^ Calm down your 7970 Toxic edition card is still going to be a beast no matter what the 660 TI turns out to be stop worrying about it!
August 3, 2012 2:31:31 PM

bigcyco1 said:
^ Calm down your 7970 Toxic edition card is still going to be a beast no matter what the 660 TI turns out to be stop worrying about it!

+1
and FYI, I got my EVGA GTX 580 SOC for $280.... :o 
August 3, 2012 5:24:04 PM

bigcyco1 said:
^ Calm down your 7970 Toxic edition card is still going to be a beast no matter what the 660 TI turns out to be stop worrying about it!

Isn't this a discussion thread? why is his opinions not allowed regarding the reviewer's method? Anywho Im just waiting for the official reviews and launch price.
a b Î Nvidia
August 3, 2012 5:27:18 PM

17seconds said:
You're doing a good job of impersonating Malmental, by the way...

Who's dis malmental you speak of? :whistle: 
a b Î Nvidia
August 3, 2012 6:14:25 PM

esrever said:
Isn't this a discussion thread? why is his opinions not allowed regarding the reviewer's method? Anywho Im just waiting for the official reviews and launch price.
His opinions are allowed i think hes stated them several times i was simply trying to let him know not to worry so much it's not ATI/AMD dooms day.I could very well be wrong but i get the impression hes worried and not to happy about it being possible ;)  I just don't want the thread to get out of hand like most these do.
August 3, 2012 6:53:59 PM

bigcyco1 said:
His opinions are allowed i think hes stated them several times i was simply trying to let him know not to worry so much it's not ATI/AMD dooms day.I could very well be wrong but i get the impression hes worried and not to happy about it being possible ;)  Ii just don't want the thread to get out of hand like most these do.

you don't have to explain to everyone, even though I understood..
your cool.
a b Î Nvidia
August 3, 2012 7:03:54 PM

verbalizer said:
you don't have to explain to everyone, even though I understood..
your cool.
o.k.
August 4, 2012 2:58:12 AM

BigMack70 said:
^^ The card in the review is a reference card, not a custom overclocked one.

Good point about it being 8 months since the 7970 came out... I didn't realize it had been that long!



I totally thought there was a overclocked version already. Goodness my mistake.


a b Î Nvidia
August 5, 2012 5:46:39 PM

congrats on making master, verbalizer. :) 
August 5, 2012 5:55:00 PM

thanks bro...
keep up the good work while I take a vaca...
;) 
a b Î Nvidia
August 5, 2012 7:22:57 PM

verbalizer said:
thanks bro...
keep up the good work while I take a vaca...
;) 

:sol: 
Going back to Jedi Academy?
!