Bad coverage in new Calgary subdivisions

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
July 6, 2004 12:05:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.rogersatt (More info?)

Hi, I live in a new sub division area of Calgary and the coverage on
my T720 has been bad (got worse with the new developments as it was
4-5 bars, now 1-3 max) - the same happened before with my Panasonic
TDMA phone which I surrendered last year through their early access
program at a high C$400 cost. My plan was to not have a landline and
use the cell for all calls - sadly, this has not been possible.

I complained about the coverage numerous times and nothing has been
done except to say maybe in a couple of years there will be a new mast
if there is enough complaints. This phone cannot be used reliably,
even outside in the street. The phone itself works fine in other parts
of Calgary with the max 5 bars.

I have 9 months left on my 2 year contract - have already downgraded
to the minimal plan to save $$$.

Anyone else has this problem where a reasonable level of service
cannot be provided at a home address? Also, any resolutions such as
extra masts being installed?

Telus users have not had problems in these new Calgary subdivisions.

Rich
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 5:21:06 PM

Rich wrote:

> Hi, I live in a new sub division area of Calgary and the coverage on
> my T720 has been bad (got worse with the new developments as it was
> 4-5 bars, now 1-3 max) - the same happened before with my Panasonic
> TDMA phone which I surrendered last year through their early access
> program at a high C$400 cost. My plan was to not have a landline and
> use the cell for all calls - sadly, this has not been possible.

Winnipeg is in the same boat.. My daughter's husband's parents live
in an affluent, well populated and established suburb. My cell phone
won't work in their basement. It's marginal out on the street.

I bought a house in the country, 20 miles outside of the city. It's not
far from a major highway, yet I can't use the phone in my basement or in
my car. (There is a competitor's tower not far down the road :(

I'm guessing Rogers spent too much on going GSM and adding the 850Mhz
band. Technology is great, but of little use if there is no
reception. Their coverage is definitely lacking.

As a matter of fact, one local competitor jumped on this. They're putting
up billboards and painting city bus benches in areas where Rogers has poor
coverage.

The signs say: "Your MTS Mobility Phone will work here" :-)
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 7:04:07 PM

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:21:06 -0500, S. Cargo wrote:

> Rich wrote:
>
>> Hi, I live in a new sub division area of Calgary and the coverage on my
>> T720 has been bad (got worse with the new developments as it was 4-5
>> bars, now 1-3 max) - the same happened before with my Panasonic TDMA
>> phone which I surrendered last year through their early access program
>> at a high C$400 cost. My plan was to not have a landline and use the
>> cell for all calls - sadly, this has not been possible.
>
> Winnipeg is in the same boat.. My daughter's husband's parents live in an
> affluent, well populated and established suburb. My cell phone won't
> work in their basement. It's marginal out on the street.
>
> I bought a house in the country, 20 miles outside of the city. It's not
> far from a major highway, yet I can't use the phone in my basement or in
> my car. (There is a competitor's tower not far down the road :(
>
> I'm guessing Rogers spent too much on going GSM and adding the 850Mhz
> band. Technology is great, but of little use if there is no reception.
> Their coverage is definitely lacking.

Small nitpick: 850MHz isn't a "new" band, it is simply a reallocation of
analog spectrum to GSM. The coverage you get on analog should, in most
areas, be identical to the coverage you get on 850MHz GSM.
Anonymous
July 6, 2004 7:04:08 PM

repatch wrote:

> On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 13:21:06 -0500, S. Cargo wrote:

>> I'm guessing Rogers spent too much on going GSM and adding the 850Mhz
>> band. Technology is great, but of little use if there is no reception.
>> Their coverage is definitely lacking.
>
> Small nitpick: 850MHz isn't a "new" band, it is simply a reallocation of
> analog spectrum to GSM.

I realize that. I never said it was new.. But the reallocation must have
had some drain on resources.

> The coverage you get on analog should, in most
> areas, be identical to the coverage you get on 850MHz GSM.

It's been a long while since I've used Roger's analog network.. But if
the coverage is the same as GSM, then Roger's analog is lacking too :-)
!