The Incredible Freezing Computer

G

I have just got a brand new system from ABS (buyabs.com). It has:
-Windows xp pro
-Athlon 1900
-512mb ram
-kt266a motherboard
-nvidia geforce 3 ti500
and some other stuff, but I think that's all you'll need to answer my question. I messed around with the bios and i guess i changed the front side bus to 100 instead of 133 (so my coputer was running at 1200 mhz). So, My computer was fine until I decided to format (i forgot why...). I installed winxp again and then proceded to put back on everything. Went into bios, noticed it was at 100, so changed it back. Then, as I was playing Deus Ex, Quake III, and other 3d games, my computer froze. Also, when I encode a cd's worth of mp3 files.

My brother said that MAYBE it could be windows that when I installed it noticed it was at 1200 and when i changed it back to 1600, it freezes up when a lot of instruction go to it. Don't know what's up.

Please, some one help me.

CALV

Distinguished
May 17, 2001
I'd say either a heat or a psu prob if it runs fine @ 1200, try running with the case open and see if it takes longer to crash (or fixes the crash), also , try upping the voltage slightly, but I'd sugest some sort of monitoring to keep an aye on the temp+voltage.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?

G

whoops, I don't have the new kt266a motherboard, I have the one before that one that showed bad performance. Could that be the problem?

I have the newest nvidia detonator drivers. How much power do I have? what do you mean by that? The temperature of the computer is usually around 47 degrees celsius, but, here's something strange- when i go into bios, and enter Hardware Monitor, the cpu fan is normal, but the system fan jumps from 2600 to 0 and bback again. But the power fan is always at 0. That's probably bad. I'll crack open the case and see whats up and also run it with the case off and see if it stops the crashing. thanks for the replies