Don't know how to fit mobo into case

jorgegonzalez

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
So I was told to get this: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/vdCn
Which I did with a slight change of power supply and hard drive.

So I'm trying to put the motherboard into the case, and the cooler is clearly sticking out of what would be the confines of the case if it were closed, and the screws don't seem long enough to mount the mobo into the case anyway, because of the brace for the cooler. What am I doing wrong?

Hating the person who said this would be easy right now.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
It's possible that the Apex case definitely isn't designed for a large cooler like that. It also seems that the CPU socket on your motherboard isn't aligned with the inset on the cases' motherboard tray. You may have to use the stock CPU cooler if you want to be able to assemble that machine.

Maybe there's something I'm overlooking but I don't get the feeling that whoever designed that build put any forethought into the physical dimensions of the components.

jorgegonzalez

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
Thanks for the honest reply. Is there a different case I could get that would fit and still be compatible?

Amazed, considering the number of times I posted what I was getting, that no one was like, "Hey, that won't fit!"

^ It's not the sort of thing we usually worry about - most hardcore gamers get the largest cases they can, and so they only time we worry about dimensions is specifically for small form factor cases.

That being said, is taking a saw to the case an option? I did that with an old rig when a Hyper 212+ wouldn't quite fit - I just cut a hole slightly larger than the cooler, and lined it with foam tape. If done somewhat neatly, it actually ends up looking really kinda good.

jorgegonzalez

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

How can I find a case with a motherboard tray that is aligned with my CPU socket? I don't know how to go about finding something that will match the FM2 mobo. I think that's part of the problem -- even if I sawed a hole in the case, the screws aren't long enough to secure the motherboard.

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011

These little guys http://www.primebrasscomponents.com/pcat-gifs/products-small/Brass-Stand-Off.jpg should go between the motherboard and the motherboard tray. The screws get fastened into these standoffs.

jorgegonzalez

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012

If I were to get the above case, do you know if the fan that comes with the case would get in the way of the cooler? I read some cases can't hold both, and I don't know how to tell...