Sign in with
Your question

Which temp is right

Last response: in CPUs
February 5, 2013 12:07:40 AM

Got a doubt:
On AIDA64 Extreme Edition v2.20.1800, the sensor´s temperatures for the processors, running on idle after 10 minutes, are next:

CPU Intel Core i5-2400 3.1GHz, running with the Intel stock fan
-CPU=28°C
-CPU package=38°C
-CPU IA Cores=38°C
Note 1: Power draw rounded between 6-7Watts, with peaks of 10Watts (according to Core Temp 1.0 RC4)
Note 2: taken on a realtive cool day (28°C ambient temperature)

...now... while other cpu temperature softwares mark the CPU temperature like the average of all cores (in the data i´ve provided upward would be the CPU IA Cores temperature, i guess) even the CPU temp on the BIOS screen (think its a little bit more) , AIDA64 marks 10°C less in the CPU than the CPU package or IA Cores like, automatically...so, in future readings, should i fix on the low temperatures the CPU marks in AIDA64 or watch out for the high temps (my guess) the CPU package-IA Cores mark?

More about : temp

a b à CPUs
February 5, 2013 12:11:07 AM

BIOS temps are the ONLY ones always correct...
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2013 12:43:11 AM

BIOS temps may be accurate but the data being reported is coming from a useless sensor. This data is coming too far away from the hot spots on the core so it's meaningless.

Intel controls thermal throttling and thermal shut down of their CPUs based on the peak core temperature and nothing else. This temperature can be read directly from 2nd and 3rd Generatin Core i CPUs and is called the CPU Package temperature. RealTemp and CPUID HWMonitor and AIDA64 report this.

RealTemp T|I Edition
http://www.overclock.net/t/1330144/realtemp-t-i-edition

If your CPU is not throttling then it is running within the Intel spec.
m
l
!