Opinion on the FX-8350 and Graphics Card question...

So I am looking into building a new computer (For gaming) and have heard some good things about the FX-8350 so I was wondering what the community here thinks of it as well as graphics cards that go good with it. I also have a radeon 7850 from my last build and I am wondering If it would be a better Idea to just get another card around that range and run a crossfire system or if getting a single high end card would make more sense. I am hoping to run crysis 3 on ultra with 60+ FPS so answer the questions for that senario.
9 answers Last reply
More about opinion 8350 graphics card question
  1. If you're buying a new motherboard instead of re-using a previous one, you'd be much better served getting an Intel i5-3570K. It's far superior to any and all AMD CPUs, especially in terms of gaming performance.
  2. If you manage to crossfire without having micro-stutter problems, a second 7850 would probably be the biggest "bang for your buck."

I have two (overclocked, non-ti) 560's in SLI and currently get between 80 and 90 FPS at 1680 X 1050.

Two 7850's should do at least as well. (Probably a bit better)

Now, the questions are: At what resolution will you be gaming? (higher resolution will be lower FPS), and how much tougher will Crysis 3 be?

Generally, a single card solution is better than two cards, but I have someone interested in buying my SLI cards, but it seems that a single 670 will actually be a downgrade for me in FPS on that game. (Although a quieter GPU experience would be nice)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-review,3200-6.html

So crossfire setup will be cheaper for you and probably produce slightly higher FPS than a single 670.

Crossfire runs the risk of micro-stutter.
    And extra noise is pretty much a given, not a risk.

If you can buy a second 7850 from a place with a good return policy, keep the packaging nice and neat and test a crossfire setup, I would do that.

If you get micro-stutter or decide the extra noise is too much, just return the extra card and go with a single-card solution.
  3. 7850 will be fine for gaming.
  4. svengeguttensen said:
    If you're buying a new motherboard instead of re-using a previous one, you'd be much better served getting an Intel i5-3570K. It's far superior to any and all AMD CPUs, especially in terms of gaming performance.

I thought CryEngine stuff (at least Crysis 2 is?) was GPU-bound?

I would focus more on the GPU than CPU for Crysis 3. And it's not like the 8350 is "slow".
  5. Z1NONLY said:
    I thought CryEngine stuff (at least Crysis 2 is?) was GPU-bound?

I would focus more on the GPU than CPU for Crysis 3. And it's not like the 8350 is "slow".

Since the i5-3570K only costs $20-$30 more than the FX-8350, I believe the additional performance is well worth the price differential. Not to mention that adding ~$25 to a graphics card purchase won't buy you nearly as much a performance difference as it would for a CPU. This is especially true since CPUs are used for all tasks, unlike graphics cards which are only of use when gaming.
  6. nah theyre cpu intensive as well.

8350 would be fine. except ud have to get a cooler to oc it for it to really shine, so 3570k best bet here.
  7. 8350 is really the best budget cpu... that's just my opinion. there are amd and intel fans.
  8. not really. at stock the 3570k beats the amd hands down. and overclocked good day amd.

the 8350k stock is alright but only really shines onced oced.
  9. this is a fact not opinion or fiction, please dont adjust ur television screen this isnt a commercial.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Graphics Cards