Opinion on the FX-8350 and Graphics Card question...

The Obese Anorexic

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
So I am looking into building a new computer (For gaming) and have heard some good things about the FX-8350 so I was wondering what the community here thinks of it as well as graphics cards that go good with it. I also have a radeon 7850 from my last build and I am wondering If it would be a better Idea to just get another card around that range and run a crossfire system or if getting a single high end card would make more sense. I am hoping to run crysis 3 on ultra with 60+ FPS so answer the questions for that senario.

svengeguttensen

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012
If you're buying a new motherboard instead of re-using a previous one, you'd be much better served getting an Intel i5-3570K. It's far superior to any and all AMD CPUs, especially in terms of gaming performance.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
If you manage to crossfire without having micro-stutter problems, a second 7850 would probably be the biggest "bang for your buck."

I have two (overclocked, non-ti) 560's in SLI and currently get between 80 and 90 FPS at 1680 X 1050.

Two 7850's should do at least as well. (Probably a bit better)

Now, the questions are: At what resolution will you be gaming? (higher resolution will be lower FPS), and how much tougher will Crysis 3 be?

Generally, a single card solution is better than two cards, but I have someone interested in buying my SLI cards, but it seems that a single 670 will actually be a downgrade for me in FPS on that game. (Although a quieter GPU experience would be nice)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-670-review,3200-6.html

So crossfire setup will be cheaper for you and probably produce slightly higher FPS than a single 670.

Crossfire runs the risk of micro-stutter.
And extra noise is pretty much a given, not a risk.

If you can buy a second 7850 from a place with a good return policy, keep the packaging nice and neat and test a crossfire setup, I would do that.

If you get micro-stutter or decide the extra noise is too much, just return the extra card and go with a single-card solution.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

I thought CryEngine stuff (at least Crysis 2 is?) was GPU-bound?

I would focus more on the GPU than CPU for Crysis 3. And it's not like the 8350 is "slow".

svengeguttensen

Honorable
Dec 25, 2012

Since the i5-3570K only costs $20-$30 more than the FX-8350, I believe the additional performance is well worth the price differential. Not to mention that adding ~$25 to a graphics card purchase won't buy you nearly as much a performance difference as it would for a CPU. This is especially true since CPUs are used for all tasks, unlike graphics cards which are only of use when gaming.