Sign in with
Your question

Processor for HD 6670

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 2, 2012 12:43:12 PM

Hi, I have a Radeon HD 6670 graphics card from another pc which I’m going to install into a new desktop pc.
However, I’m not sure which processor is the best to use for everyday multimedia applications and high quality internet streamed films, ie. Netflix.
Based on my budget I’m looking at either the AMD A8-3870K or Intel i3-2130 processors.
Which is best for intended uses?
Thanks

More about : processor 6670

August 2, 2012 12:56:08 PM

The A8-3870K is a powerful APU (it's integrated GPU is far better than the i3's HD2000) with 4 real cores it will be better for mediastreaming, video encoding,editing etc. Plus, you can use your HD 6670 card in Hybrid-Crossifre so if you want to play games, you will have much better performance than with the integrated gpu alone. The i3-2130 is neither a quad-core nor can it perform Hybrid-Crossfire.

The A8-3870k is the way to go.

(Proud owner of an i3-2120 + MSi HD 6850 which are only for gaming!)
August 2, 2012 1:03:49 PM

paulski07 said:
Hi, I have a Radeon HD 6670 graphics card from another pc which I’m going to install into a new desktop pc.
However, I’m not sure which processor is the best to use for everyday multimedia applications and high quality internet streamed films, ie. Netflix.
Based on my budget I’m looking at either the AMD A8-3870K or Intel i3-2130 processors.
Which is best for intended uses?
Thanks

Well that's an easy decision. You've narrowed it down to two processors. Between the two, the AMD chip has a clear advantage, in terms of single threaded CPU performance. For the same price, the AMD A8-3870K is a better deal. But that's based JUST on CPU performance. There are other reasons to prefer it over the i3-2130:
1) Allows you to use faster / better performing RAM
2) Better selection of quality motherboards, partly because the chipsets are much better
3) Overall build will probably cost less, even if the price of the CPU is identical (see number 2)
4) You've got an ATI video card. The AMD brand APUs have performance enhancements allowing them to play nice with ATI video cards, resulting in further performance tweaks. In other words, if the Intel chip was better, you'd still want the AMD chip as the AMD/ATI pairing is going to enhance the performance of both chips.
5) AMD has long been known as the multimedia leader, as they specifically tailor their CPUs to excel in multimedia applications

(do I need to go on?)

I'd suggest you look at the Biostar TA75M, 4GB (2 X 2GB) of DDR3 1600 low latency RAM and a Enermax NAXN 80PLUS ENP500AWT. That's a great start.
August 2, 2012 1:14:29 PM

Well that was simple! Cheers
Related resources
!