Solved

Best graphics card on a 500w power supply?

Just wondering what (in your opinion) is the best graphics card that can run comfortably on a 500w PSU?

No fanboy-ism please :P
18 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about best graphics card 500w power supply
  1. It depends on what your other components are. Most graphics cards should be able to run on 500W though.
  2. homerhellboy223 said:
    ATI x1950 pro > or get a bigger power supply

    That's frikkin hilarious :lol:
  3. GTX670 recommended PSU from EVGA "Minimum of a 500 Watt power supply."
  4. To be safe get a psu with 600w.
  5. Depends on the quality of your 500 watt PS.

    Dave
  6. As DavidY just said, it depends on the quality of the "500W" PSU. If it is truly capable of 500W (e.g. a Seasonic, Antec, or Corsair), you could run a HD7950 or GTX570 on it. If it is a CM, Logisys, Apevia, or Diablotek, the label is a lie, and it is probably capable of no more than 430W (CM) or 300W (the others). On the CM, you'd be able to run a HD7770. On the others, nothing more than a HD7750.
  7. you can run agtx 680 comfortably on a good 500 watter
  8. Thanks for the responses guys. I'm currently running a single GTX 460 with no issues. Which card would offer me the greatest increase in performance?
  9. Once again, it depends on the quality of your PSU; whether it is truly capable of providing 500W. Please provide its brand and model.
  10. Onus said:
    Once again, it depends on the quality of your PSU; whether it is truly capable of providing 500W. Please provide its brand and model.


    http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/rocketfish-rocketfish-500-watts-power-supply-rf-500wps2-rf-500wps2/10143676.aspx?path=b8835fc620230e2ee3588b009c5fe557en02
  11. Best answer
    Although HardwareSecrets found a number of Rocketfish PSUs that burned well under their labelled rating, that appears to be a newer one. I confirmed on 80plus.org that it is 80+ certified, which means it was tested at 100% of its label. You could safely run a HD7870 or even a HD7950 on it.
  12. Onus said:
    Although HardwareSecrets found a number of Rocketfish PSUs that burned well under their labelled rating, that appears to be a newer one. I confirmed on 80plus.org that it is 80+ certified, which means it was tested at 100% of its label. You could safely run a HD7870 or even a HD7950 on it.

    Yeah that seems to be the general opinion. While some Rocketfish can be janky this one has rather nice reviews. I've been running it for a year with no problems. I'll probably go with the Radeon 7950.
  13. Hope that you didn't pay $129 for that Rocketfish PS. OUCH!!!

    Dave
  14. DavidY said:
    Hope that you didn't pay $129 for that Rocketfish PS. OUCH!!!

    Dave


    I know right? I believe I price matched it and got it for like $100, and that was a year ago. Still, could have gone a lot cheaper. But I got major discounts on the rest of the lot so I'm not too fussed :P
  15. Best answer selected by 2nddimension.
  16. Thanks. Post another thread if you'd like assistance choosing the actual card based on your budget, resolution, and the games you play.
  17. Onus said:
    Thanks. Post another thread if you'd like assistance choosing the actual card based on your budget, resolution, and the games you play.


    Yup, I plan on it!
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Power Supplies Graphics