Sign in with
Your question

Case fans connected directly to the psu?

Last response: in Components
February 5, 2013 5:24:39 AM

Hi.
I'm getting a new case, that has a 92mm fan included and I want put another 120mm to the front or top.
My motherboard has only 1xCHA_FAN with 4 pins.
Is it ok if I connect one of the fans directly to the psu?
I've read that in this manner the fan will work at full speed all the time, is that bad?
Also where is it better to put a fan, at the top or the front?
a c 667 ) Power supply
February 5, 2013 5:35:02 AM

It is fine just do not select the fastest spinning fan you find. If your fan is in back as exhaust front would be the best but if your fan is an intake in the front top would be best.
February 5, 2013 7:46:17 AM

Thanks for your reply.
So, the 92mm fan will be in the back as exhaust, the 120mm (1350 rpm)will work as intake at the front.

Is it worth putting another 120mm as exhaust at the top? Will that make a difference?
Both fans will be connected to the psu, which will be at the bottom of the case.

Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 5, 2013 7:55:32 AM

wray00 said:
Thanks for your reply.
So, the 92mm fan will be in the back as exhaust, the 120mm (1350 rpm)will work as intake at the front.

Is it worth putting another 120mm as exhaust at the top? Will that make a difference?
Both fans will be connected to the psu, which will be at the bottom of the case.

That makes sense. I would connect the fan at the top to the motherboard so it can be controlled depending on CPU temperature. Then the front intake and the back exhaust will be connected to the PSU and run at 100% at all times.

And yeah, try to get quiet fans, especially the ones you connect to the PSU. You don't want really noisy fans running at full tilt constantly.
February 5, 2013 7:57:25 AM

you should have some fan headers in your mobo as well, you can use them.

yes i think top exhaust are worth it, hot air tends to go up
February 5, 2013 9:01:17 AM

Cons29 said:
you should have some fan headers in your mobo as well, you can use them.

yes i think top exhaust are worth it, hot air tends to go up

I have forgotten about that. Definitely going to get one for the top.

!