I have to jump start my pc with a wire on the power supply harness then plug it

in order to start my PC I have to jump start the power supply while its unplugged green wire to black wire then while its running plug it into motherboard if I pull jumper wire at this time it will stop but if I press power button the PC will start and I can pull off jumper wire .... mind you the wire will not start it unless I unplug the power supply
5 answers Last reply
More about jump start wire power supply harness plug
  1. ok
    so whats your question
  2. I hope this is a troll post.

If not, you need to go out and buy a new quality PSU before you hurt yourself or fry your PC.
  3. Obviously part of the power supply circuit protection has fluffed up.
    maybe you should take a look also at the 24 pin Atx block on the board make sure all the pins are fine there. I mean if you jump start it via the wire loop method, then it would say the connector on the motherboard is at fault in some way.
  4. I tried a different PSU that was not the problem same results ... thx for the reply
  5. mrteaze... that answer was pure genius. I was on this problem all day till stumbled upon your precise, efficiently described solution. THANK YOU! I have my machine back. To help other peoples' searches-- I had Optiplex320 with a H305N-00 power supply, PC won't boot with power button, solid or flashing amber light.

For those that could use a few more words...

In order to start my PC I have to jump start the power supply. While its unplugged jump power supply green wire to black wire then while its running plug it into motherboard.

[Tip: use little thin jumper wire piece – on the 20-pin connector from power supply that has been pulled from motherboard, find green wire and jump to black wire on either side of it. Insert in back where wire inserts to connector. Check that power supply fan is running… plug carefully to motherboard… boot!…unplug jumper].

If I pull jumper wire before I boot with power button-- power supply will stop. But if I press power button the PC will start --and then I can pull off jumper wire.

Mind you the jumper wire will not start power supply unless I unplug the power supply connector from the motherboard first.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Jumper Components