Green pixels follow images on screen? DVI noise?

mace200200

Honorable
When I play games green pixels follow certain images around. Usually in more darker places (the sky at night in skyrim, behind tinted menus in games, on lot's of walls and floors in WoW, and sometimes even in windows itself), what could I do to fix this and could it cause damage my monitor or my brand new GPU at all?

Solution

I wouldn't go so far as say that it's 100% the monitor as I've had video cards cause this as well. Since you mentioned this is a new graphics card it might behoove you to try your GPU on another monitor or another monitor (and a different DVI cable in both cases) on your GPU. That should narrow down what's causing the problem; assuming it's not your OS or corrupted/misinstalled drivers at fault.

cl-scott

Honorable
Pretty much every time I've ever run into this, it ends up being a defective LCD panel. If you can get your hands on another monitor to test, that would be the ideal, or if you can take the monitor to another computer, that works too, but I would start pricing new monitors.

mace200200

Honorable
I suppose it could be a faulty port on the monitor though, I switched to DVI from vga because I couldn't select the right resolution on VGA and could on DVI, since then I've tried a new cable, and even upgraded my video card and the problems always been there (since switching to DVI cables).

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

I wouldn't go so far as say that it's 100% the monitor as I've had video cards cause this as well. Since you mentioned this is a new graphics card it might behoove you to try your GPU on another monitor or another monitor (and a different DVI cable in both cases) on your GPU. That should narrow down what's causing the problem; assuming it's not your OS or corrupted/misinstalled drivers at fault.

Solution

mace200200

Honorable
Well my friend brought over a new monitor to try and it worked perfectly! He's a cooler dude than my brother and let me keep both of them (I bought the monitor I was using from him a few months ago)

It's always been my dream to run multiple monitors, Now the only problem is that the DVI port on my GPU is blocked by my HDMI to DVI adapter, I was looking at this kind of thing http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882750035 but would that put the same picture on both? Otherwise I'll order an HDMI to DVI cable.