Sign in with
Your question
Closed

SLi GTX 560 SE physX question?!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 2, 2012 6:15:03 PM

Hello Everyone,

I was curious my board does support 3way SLi (Asus M3N-HT) and I just slapped in a pair of 1gig GTX 560SE's in Si. My question is when I was tinkering with 3dMark I was seeing much better results dedicating one of the cards to process PhysX. I am curious does it matter which card I dedicate and does it matter that they're SLi'd and one is dedicating? I have dual monitors and one of them is smaller and at a lower resolution. Also curious would it be best if I put my old GTX 260 Overclocked in the 3rd spot and just dedicated that to PhysX while freeing the other two up completely for graphics?!

Thanks for the help!
-Mike

PS.
I know my system is bottle-necked by the Processor and DDR2 ram but this will help get my by until I figure out my next move :) .
August 2, 2012 6:19:08 PM

Dedicate your GTX 260 to Physx processes it would be the best

Best solution

August 2, 2012 6:58:49 PM

LittleBonk said:
Hello Everyone,

I was curious my board does support 3way SLi (Asus M3N-HT) and I just slapped in a pair of 1gig GTX 560SE's in Si. My question is when I was tinkering with 3dMark I was seeing much better results dedicating one of the cards to process PhysX. I am curious does it matter which card I dedicate and does it matter that they're SLi'd and one is dedicating? I have dual monitors and one of them is smaller and at a lower resolution. Also curious would it be best if I put my old GTX 260 Overclocked in the 3rd spot and just dedicated that to PhysX while freeing the other two up completely for graphics?!

Thanks for the help!
-Mike

PS.
I know my system is bottle-necked by the Processor and DDR2 ram but this will help get my by until I figure out my next move :) .

* do you have the power supply to run all three.?
but yes the GTX 260 in slot #3 (x8/) will be beneficial in PhysX games and benching.
also note the added heat as well as the power consumption.

* DDR2 800MHz or 1066MHz.?
but in dual channel mode on 8GB RAM total is still quite adequate..
Related resources
a c 332 Î Nvidia
August 2, 2012 8:14:18 PM

The 260 is a good card for PhysX in that system..... provided you actually play any GPU accelerated PhysX games. Here's a list so you can verify that it's worth it to run a dedicated PhysX card.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX

With an SLI system, you should always set your PhysX configuration to "Auto-select", rather than dedicate a single card to the task. You don't want to lose your SLI performance boost, which overrules the boost you get from dedicated PhysX processing and only one card doing graphics.
August 2, 2012 8:23:04 PM

Thanks for the responses,

1.) Yes i do have the available power to run all three. Space is getting cramped in there so i am sure there would be a bit of heat boosted but the case has good airflow. The 260x requires 2x more pci-e power connectors which my Ultra X3 850w psu is tapped with the other two GTX560se's but I do have available normal 4pin rails and the adapters that came with the 560se's to make them pci-e.

2.) The ram I believe is the weaker 800MHz or so EVGA E-LEET is reading them as "Dual Channel" and having a Dram frequency of 401.8mhz so I imagine that's the 803.6mhz right there.
August 2, 2012 8:26:20 PM

how much RAM 4GB or 8GB.?
August 2, 2012 8:44:05 PM

that's NICE.
August 2, 2012 8:55:50 PM

agree, nice..

edit:
what processor you running.?
August 2, 2012 9:01:03 PM

This is just ridiculous lol

So this is the suggested best setup with the GTX260 on physX patrol eh?
a c 332 Î Nvidia
August 2, 2012 9:03:40 PM

LittleBonk said:
This is just ridiculous lol

]http://s10.postimage.org/81mjbkeg5/IMG_0456_1.jpg

So this is the suggested best setup with the GTX260 on physX patrol eh?

I like it! See if you can get an intake fan blowing on them and then play some games with Afterburner/GPU-z monitoring in the background.

Luckily, those 560 SE's are not going to create a bunch of heat and they look like external exhaust/reference models, so it's all good.
August 2, 2012 9:10:32 PM

now get off that OEM heatsink/fan and get real cooling solution in there to keep the heat off that CPU..
I think that boards run x8/x8/x8 or dual x16/x16...
August 2, 2012 9:13:13 PM

what case, Antec 300 Illusion.?
August 2, 2012 9:28:27 PM

verbalizer said:
what case, Antec 300 Illusion.?

It's an Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Been very happy with this case. Bought it like 5 years ago too lol.

As far as the board you talking about the pci-e timing? It's 16x/8x/16x. The heatsink on the CPU is just the stock one. Not going to invest anything into it because the next board/setup will be a whole different beast.

I'll put a fan on the 3 cards to get air in between but man oh man were you right. It pulled another 1,000 marks in 3DMark.

Thanks for the input and suggestions!
August 2, 2012 9:37:21 PM

17seconds said:
The 260 is a good card for PhysX in that system..... provided you actually play any GPU accelerated PhysX games. Here's a list so you can verify that it's worth it to run a dedicated PhysX card.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhysX

With an SLI system, you should always set your PhysX configuration to "Auto-select", rather than dedicate a single card to the task. You don't want to lose your SLI performance boost, which overrules the boost you get from dedicated PhysX processing and only one card doing graphics.

I out of that list I still play Arkham City. It is one of my favorite games.

I did have it on auto select and SLi but I think because my CPU is so dated AMD Phenom 9600 X4 that it's too much load for it to work it off of that and I believe that's what the "auto select" was choosing. When I ran it with a single 560SE and the other 560SE dedicated to PhysX it was 50% improvement. So there's definitely a bottle neck. Now with the feedback and setup it's on it's running 150% better than what was best before.

Again, thank you guys.
August 2, 2012 9:37:59 PM

I think when all three are installed it runs @ x8/x8/x8
CPU-Z and GPU-Z will tell you, run them / it..
August 2, 2012 10:02:45 PM

Best answer selected by LittleBonk.
August 2, 2012 10:10:48 PM

strange... Says gpu1 GTX 560SE is running at x16 and the other GTX 560SE and the GTX260 OC are running at x8... Is that normal?
a c 168 Î Nvidia
August 2, 2012 10:16:08 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!