Last response: in CPUs
February 5, 2013 9:09:31 AM

Hi,

I have:
Asus 7950 @ 1130/1400
Amd Phenom II x6 1055t @3.3 ghz
Corsair 8gb ddr3 1600mhz
Highpower 750w

As far as I read, it is said that Intel is better than Amd for gaming. I have 1055t but I'm thinking about buying 2400. If I upgrade my motherboard and cpu to intel, it will cost 60$ to me. Is it worth to spend for it or not?

Or you can suggest me another cpu.

Thank you.

More about : cpu 7950 1055t 2400

a c 83 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 5, 2013 9:19:45 AM

you didn't provide full specs.
60 bucks sounds good but i suspect there might be some gotchas. $60 for the cpu only or do you get a decent motherboard as well? afaik, a 2400 and a z68/77 mobo will cost way more than $60.
since you also asked for alternatives....

fx8320 - if you want to keep your amd motherboard provided you have am3+ socket.

a haswell core i5 instead of i5 2400 - haswell cpus are coming out later this year which will likely push cpu performance a little bit further. current lga1155 socket is dead end. it has the most powerful gaming cpus available though. my reasoning is - if you're gonna switch platforms, better get the latest one instead of a 2yr old one. save up some money in the meantime.

while you wait for haswell, your 1055t is capable enough to keep you going.
February 5, 2013 9:54:57 AM

de5_Roy said:
you didn't provide full specs.
60 bucks sounds good but i suspect there might be some gotchas. $60 for the cpu only or do you get a decent motherboard as well? afaik, a 2400 and a z68/77 mobo will cost way more than $60.
since you also asked for alternatives....

fx8320 - if you want to keep your amd motherboard provided you have am3+ socket.

a haswell core i5 instead of i5 2400 - haswell cpus are coming out later this year which will likely push cpu performance a little bit further. current lga1155 socket is dead end. it has the most powerful gaming cpus available though. my reasoning is - if you're gonna switch platforms, better get the latest one instead of a 2yr old one. save up some money in the meantime.

while you wait for haswell, your 1055t is capable enough to keep you going.

As I said: upgrading motherboard and cpu will cost me 60$.
My motherboard does support only 1090t after 1055t.
Btw I will buy used cpu and motherboard, thats why it will cost 60$.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2013 10:43:59 AM

60 dollars well spent go for it and let the 7950 stretch it's legs
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2013 11:19:05 AM

ekaydirma said:
Hi,

I have:
Asus 7950 @ 1130/1400
Amd Phenom II x6 1055t @3.3 ghz
Corsair 8gb ddr3 1600mhz
Highpower 750w

As far as I read, it is said that Intel is better than Amd for gaming. I have 1055t but I'm thinking about buying 2400. If I upgrade my motherboard and cpu to intel, it will cost 60$ to me. Is it worth to spend for it or not?

Or you can suggest me another cpu.

Thank you.

there are actually several question in there rather then one

what is your objective and why? are you having an issue gaming? it's doubtful since your CPU is more the adequate for modern gaming and you have an excellent video card.

will purchasing an intel i5-2400 improve benchmarks? a little. improve gaming? doubtful you see any real world difference

if you want to see a noticeable PC improvement, i would look into a SSD for quicker boot times and a snappier boot time but you realize your GPU does most of the heavy work in gaming and yours is up to the task.

of course $60 for a used i5-2400 and mobo is a very good deal (especially if you know the seller) and you can turn around and sell your current AMD CPU & mobo to cover the cost if not make a little profit.

so i would say, you don't need to do but if you are willing to install the new hardware and sell your former parts (plus the seller is legit) then its a good deal
February 5, 2013 11:28:47 AM

dirtyferret said:
there are actually several question in there rather then one

what is your objective and why? are you having an issue gaming? it's doubtful since your CPU is more the adequate for modern gaming and you have an excellent video card.

will purchasing an intel i5-2400 improve benchmarks? a little. improve gaming? doubtful you see any real world difference

if you want to see a noticeable PC improvement, i would look into a SSD for quicker boot times and a snappier boot time but you realize your GPU does most of the heavy work in gaming and yours is up to the task.

of course $60 for a used i5-2400 and mobo is a very good deal (especially if you know the seller) and you can turn around and sell your current AMD CPU & mobo to cover the cost if not make a little profit.

so i would say, you don't need to do but if you are willing to install the new hardware and sell your former parts (plus the seller is legit) then its a good deal

I dont want to see fps drop in games wtih this gpu. For example Hitman absolution, ac3 and far cry3 was a disappointing for me. I looked into some tests(including tomhardware test) there are huge differences in gaming. Like: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-fx-pentium-a...
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/147?vs=363

I dont care boot times, just want more fps in games. Btw it will be a secure trading with seller. I will sell my parts for 150$ and buy mobo and 2400 for 210$.

Thank you for answer btw, I can take more advice.
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2013 12:29:06 PM

You will see large gains in all games without a doubt, 60 dollars is a deal so take it.
February 5, 2013 12:43:43 PM

I had the 1055 @ 3.7 and I went to the i5 3570K and was a good investment. My Friend had the 2400 at stock and it seemed to be better than my 1055T @ 3.7
(We had the same graphics card . 6870)

I would second the upgrade to Intel.
February 5, 2013 12:52:49 PM

Thank you guyz, I'm buying now the parts !
!