Sign in with
Your question

Help build a budget computer? please help

Last response: in Systems
September 22, 2012 11:15:24 AM

hey, i have a budget of £200 / $315.
i'm upgrading my old computer because its really old! and i've decided to bin the, cpu, mouth board, ram, because they all was very old!

i have
-case
-powersupply 500w
-usb ports for side of the case
-cd drive
-hard drive

i will be needing my computer for some html and java coding. light use of graphic design. simple online gaming (minecraft and runescape) i would like to play these in hd, with no lagg, and facebook while listening to music.

i was thinking of buying this build ( i don't know what graphic card to get yet, please help)

amd fx 4170 - £102
Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Socket AM3 - £50
G.Skill 4GB - £16

can anyone give me some advice on "what graphic card i should use" and "are there any other parts which are cheaper/same price but better?"

thank you, please help

More about : build budget computer

September 22, 2012 5:37:59 PM

its for a bit of online gaming like minecraft and runescape. html and java scripting . and facebook while listening to music... also watching movies.

i have a decent case ( dont worry about that )
the power supply is 500 w and its workable.
September 22, 2012 5:53:19 PM

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/icj3

That is an upgrade i'm in the works of total for me is about $130.00 so far without a gpu. You could do the same build easily and get a great gpu and then later put in a better cpu when your budget allows a sandy bridge i3 or an i5. Unless you are dead set on a amd chip if you are i would suggest getting one with a built in gpu.

I'm an amd fan myself but sadly when it comes to gaming cpu's intel is ruling the roost right now. But my suggestion if you are going with a 4170 you could get an i3 2100 that would game circles around the fx chip. Sadly the fx amd's do not game better then most of amd's older cpu's to be honest. But that be my suggestion and with the route i'm suggesting you would be a bit more future proof and be able to play many other games besides java based pretty easily and maxing setting on a java game would be childs play. But up to you.
Related resources
September 22, 2012 6:00:51 PM

cool , i think im going to go with the fx 4170, i might wait about 1/2 months to see if the piledriver comes out. if not, im gonng use the fx 4170. but i dont know what gpu to use.
i think i can probably stretch my budget to buy an AMD HD7770, but do you think that would be to advance and a bit waste of money? i only need it for runescape and minecraft also maybe games like rollercoaster tycoon.
September 22, 2012 6:29:03 PM

cool, i'm not going to be doing it but will the radeon 7770 be enough for games like call of duty, and battle field 3?
September 22, 2012 7:06:29 PM

£102 is about 165 bucks you can do better then a 4170. Take a look:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o...

That is the gaming cpu Hierarchy Chart about 1 month old. The top of the charts is held by intel. An i3 2100 costs about 45 dollars less and games circles around it. Getting it you could put the extra 45 into a good 1155 mobo or towards a better gpu.

Here is a gpu chart http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car... you could just use it and move down to where your budget will allow. But if its a good cheap gpu with low voltage using you are looking for you can get a cheap 6450 and it would serve your needs.

I'm a big amd fan so it hurts to recommend an intel cpu but amd has already stated they are no longer trying to keep up with intel. So if its gaming and future proofing then intel is what you need. The 4170 will game and game well but not as well as a cheaper intel cpu as you can see from the gaming cpu chart. Although my fingers are crossed in hoping for amd's new cpu's to bring up their a game.
September 22, 2012 7:13:27 PM

Get an i3, it wipes the floor with the FX 4170. I have an FX 4100, but I don't run heavy tasks. I too favor AMD for their overall business philosophy, but their new CEO said instead of competing with intel performance wise they will go the value path. If AMD gives up on themselves, then I don't know if I can still have faith they will return to their former glory.
September 22, 2012 7:39:09 PM

i'm not really going to be gaming hardcore. just some simple java/html coding.. facebook, youtube and some back ground music.
i have an netbook at the moment and i cant really background music without some lagg or my cpu using over 80%.
i cant even stream online movies without some lagg!

the only games i will be playing is, runescape , minecraft and roller coaster tycoon 3. i will want them on max settings without lagg.

what build would you recommend ?
September 22, 2012 8:00:44 PM

you will need a new cd, the old one is probably IDE
September 22, 2012 8:01:27 PM

would the interl core i5 3350p be faster and better then the amd fx 4170 ?
September 22, 2012 8:06:25 PM

ScrewySqrl said:
you will need a new cd, the old one is probably IDE

disk drive? no its all okay, i've checked them all for the right plugs ect.

also which i3 is the best? and are they all better then the amd bulldozers series ?
September 22, 2012 8:11:07 PM

yeh, but the i5 is out of my budget.
so i'm ever going with an i3, i5 3350P, or the amd fx 4170. but i would like to overclock and get the full performance..
September 22, 2012 8:14:14 PM

adamyjake said:
would the interl core i5 3350p be faster and better then the amd fx 4170 ?

Does a corvette drive faster then a volkswagen beetle? Ok now think if the corvette costs less money then the beetle which one would you choose? That is why i suggest you go the intel route. Even if right now all you plan to play is runescape. How about later on? I played runescape since its first year. And was a player moderator for over 5 yet ended up quitting. At some point you will get bored with it. But when you go to play a new game don't you want to know you can play just about any of them? For your rough budget of 324 bucks you can do a lot better then an amd.
September 22, 2012 8:18:10 PM

zolton33 said:
Does a corvette drive faster then a volkswagen beetle? Ok now think if the corvette costs less money then the beetle which one would you choose? That is why i suggest you go the intel route. Even if right now all you plan to play is runescape. How about later on? I played runescape since its first year. And was a player moderator for over 5 yet ended up quitting. At some point you will get bored with it. But when you go to play a new game don't you want to know you can play just about any of them? For your rough budget of 324 bucks you can do a lot better then an amd.

what cpu would you recommend. i guess i will be playing some games, and even if i dont i would like to know i can go to the shop and buy it and play it lagg free. i also be running music in the back ground, all the time i'll be on, also skype.
so what would you recommend? you can go over the budget a bit so. i please can you make me a build for about $487/£300
September 22, 2012 8:29:54 PM

is the amd phenom II x4 965 better then the i3?
September 22, 2012 8:46:02 PM

They are close enough so it doesn't matter and the 965BE is cheaper.
September 22, 2012 8:51:50 PM

adamyjake said:
is the amd phenom II x4 965 better then the i3?

*Better* is a relative term for what you need/want. It will be fine, and should OC to 3.8-4GHz at 1.38v with a little tweaking. At that level it should perform similar to an i3 overall, and win in all multi-threaded applications and multitasking.

If you go with a Gigabyte mobo, a *U*D3 would be preferable -- something like the Asus M5A97 AM3+ at £65.96 Inc VAT would be perfect for you.

That would leave roughly £170 in your budget for RAMs, graphics and *other*. A Radeon HD6670 should be less than £50.

A 90GB OCZ Agility 3 SATA 6Gb/s SSD is £62.99 Inc VAT.

You need that in your budget [:lutfij:4]

Edit: The 60GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD is £43.92 Inc VAT.

That should leave enough room for your RAMs ... and some aftermarket cooling in the £20-range.

September 22, 2012 10:19:28 PM

i already have an hard drive.
September 22, 2012 10:28:12 PM

will ssd be faster?
September 22, 2012 11:21:40 PM

Yes ...

Your machine will boot faster, applications will open more quickly, and your multitasking will be much more *snappy*

Use your current HDD for storage and backup.

edit: Be sure to update the firmware on the SSD prior to installing the operating system. OCZ has a simple utility called the *Toolbox* which will do this for you.

September 22, 2012 11:42:04 PM

nice, i've never used an ssd but just searched for boot times and ect, its ALOT fast, i will deficiently be buying an £45 ssd for boot up ect. and have my hdd for back up XD
so the build -

- amd fx 4170
- Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3 Socket AM3
- G.Skill 4GB
- radeon 7770
- 250gb HDD
- 60gb SSD
- 500w power supply
- cd-RW

will this be fast, stable and be able to do what i need it to do with ease ?

September 23, 2012 12:43:28 AM

Going with the PhII 965BE will save you some money. The only real advantage to considering the FX-4170 is if you need SSE4 (doubtful). In addition to over-clocking well, it will also take a nice under-volt in low cpu utilization scenarios.

Be sure to purchase an AM3+ motherboard. If you go with Gigabyte, you will be best served with an **Ultra-Durable** board (that is what the *U* stands for in the model name).

September 23, 2012 9:07:25 AM

will it be worth waiting for the piledriver series ?
September 23, 2012 12:02:46 PM

hard to say, but probably. Bulldozer was a disappointment. Don't buy an FX chip and mate it was an AM3 board. They are different socket types, although they are compatible.
September 25, 2012 6:59:05 PM

adamyjake said:
will it be worth waiting for the piledriver series ?

Probably not with your budget :D 

Stick with the PhII 965BE, with a Piledriver upgrade in a year or so if you feel the need. The *new price* smell will have worn off Piledriver by then as Steamroller will be coming to market.

!