Sign in with
Your question

Abnormal CPU Temp Readings

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 5, 2013 12:29:24 PM

Hi all,

I have an older dual core system I've re-purposed to performing data crunching for the World Community Grid project. It just sits in the basement and crunches away, no monitor or keyboard or anything, I use a remote desktop utility to log into it and see how it's doing, reboot it, etc.

Every now and again I log in to make sure the temps are good and I see an abnormally high reading on the CPU. I mean...stupid abnormal...like 240 degrees celcius stupid abnormal; but it's running just fine and I've physically gone down to check it out and it's not hot to the touch or anything I would call alarming.

Happens about once a month.

I run the processor at a modest overclock, about 10-15% iirc. It's done using a utility supplied with the motherboard. The processor is an E8200 Core 2 Duo. The temp readings are taken from Speed Fan 4.47 and the CPU temp reading on the overclocking utility.

I'm sure it's just a ghost in the machine, and a reboot fixes it right away, but was curious if anyone has any thoughts about what would cause this to occur.

System Crunching at Max Reading Way Hot

System Idling Reading Way Hot

System Idling After Reboot

System Crunching at Max After Reboot
a c 79 à CPUs
February 5, 2013 1:43:39 PM

buggy BIOS? update maybe. AI suite has a bad rep atleast in my little experience. I've seen plenty people complain about it's stupid read outs. Speed fan is reliable though. therefore I think its maybe a BIOS issue.

you probably have your OC profile saved so can you go back to stock and then check the temps with like an overnight log?

Your Vcores look fine throughout.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2013 2:13:26 PM

Just a possible quick fix, try using a different temp monitering program, like cpu temp?
m
l
Related resources
a c 190 à CPUs
February 5, 2013 2:47:15 PM

or hardware monitor...myself i would also open the case and blow they dust bunnies to kingdom come..also check that the cpu fan is moving fast not dead slow.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2013 2:49:19 PM

^+1 Good point! Give it a good clean with a can of air, (Not a vacuum cleaner, although you probably know that) to get rid of all the dust. If you need to wire teh fan directly into a 12V line to get it running at full tilt.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2013 2:57:16 PM

Those temps are not possible. Try another software.
m
l
February 5, 2013 3:08:03 PM

I could always pop in there and clean the fan out, but 240 C is far beyond the system's auto-shutoff limit and, frankly, would probably start melting components. The fan is an upgraded Zalman doohickey (I believe that's the technical term) and as you can see under normal operation even w/ the overclock stays reasonably cool.

The BIOS is as updated as can be at this time; prob jost a poltergiest. I think we are all on the same page. Thanks for the input.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2013 3:10:54 PM

This is a very simple test, but grab a thermometer or a temperature guage of some kind and leave it resting on your heatsink somewhere. Go back in an hour and check the temp. It should give a ball park as to what temps its actually running at, at the very least.
m
l
February 5, 2013 4:41:48 PM

grebgonebad said:
This is a very simple test, but grab a thermometer or a temperature guage of some kind and leave it resting on your heatsink somewhere. Go back in an hour and check the temp. It should give a ball park as to what temps its actually running at, at the very least.

I've got an IR Temp gun I can use. I'll do that next time the temp reading acts up.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2013 8:58:30 AM

Okay, go for it. Let me know what the results are. =)
m
l
!