chaotixblade

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Hey so Is the ddr5 version going to get me a big jump in performance in these games (the games i will own and wish to play) benchmarks suggest the hd 6750 can max out these games w/o AA on cod 5 waw, and 1600x900 resoltution coupled with the INTEL Sandy g850.

Games:

Call of duty 1, 2, 4, 5 waw (CALL of duty series in the future as well, the 6750 can max mw3, and cod games generally are sufficiently played on mid range cards and dual cores)
Halo, Combat evolved
Battlefield 2
Ps2 emulation
Brothers in arms: Hells Highway

Question Is the ddr5 version worth the extra 30$? Is it going to bring me 34.6% in performance?

DDR5
http://www.amazon.com/HIS-Radeon-Eyefinity-DisplayPort-H675F1GD/dp/B004YJBMB4/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1348323319&sr=8-7&keywords=ddr5+hd+6750
94.99$
DDR3
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161395&Tpk=hd%206750%20ddr3
79.99$

edit

Bottom line, will i see great like awful preformance with the ddr3 like medium settings 10 fps, that kind of bad or will i still be able to max out with the ddr3 version like alot of benches suggest

Solution
It's GDDR5, not DDR5. Anyone who says otherwise, and I mean anyone, is wrong. DDR5 is a very different memory interface technology that hasn't even been invented yet as far as I'm aware. We don't even have DDR4 in any currently selling products. GDDR5 is a modified version of DDR3 that is vastly superior to DDR3 for sheer memory bandwidth.

The GDDR5 version is superior. The gains will depend on how much the games that you play and what settings/resolution you play them at depend on memory bandwidth. I think that the gains are worth the extra money, but that's me. I like to play with memory-intensive settings such as AA as high as they'll go without killing the FPS and the GDDR5 version will be better in that.
It's GDDR5, not DDR5. Anyone who says otherwise, and I mean anyone, is wrong. DDR5 is a very different memory interface technology that hasn't even been invented yet as far as I'm aware. We don't even have DDR4 in any currently selling products. GDDR5 is a modified version of DDR3 that is vastly superior to DDR3 for sheer memory bandwidth.

The GDDR5 version is superior. The gains will depend on how much the games that you play and what settings/resolution you play them at depend on memory bandwidth. I think that the gains are worth the extra money, but that's me. I like to play with memory-intensive settings such as AA as high as they'll go without killing the FPS and the GDDR5 version will be better in that.

Solution

chaotixblade

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Blazorthon Godbless you, I had some trolls last night ye llng at me, calling my build crap, etc. etc. Telling me a g850 wouldnt max these games out, zealous anti-not alot of money people. Thanks man, and thanks for clearing that up about the gddr5 =X ddr5, I always wondered what happened to ddr4. Haha thanks man best answer

Glad to help. The G850 shouldn't have trouble getting at least around 55-70FPS in most games so long as the graphics can keep up, although something like BF3 MP with many players might need a much more powerful CPU. I wouldn't be worried about that CPU except in very few games. However, that doesn't make it crap, just not optimized for the most intensive game available today. It'll paly the vast majority of games excellently.

DDR4 probably won't be out until around 2014-2015. DDR5 might be around 2019 at the earliest, but that one is speculation by me.

chaotixblade

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2012
Im getting the DDR3 version, 30$ isnt worth a 2fps increase thanks all tho, especially blazorthon. HAHA :) and vrumor it wasnt it was lamborghini. (unless it was you, then godbless you anyway.)

Now to wait for the thread to be closed haha