Packet Loss Rate=16%

ac1d 53rp3n7

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Hello, thanks for taking the time to read this, basically I can't play Xbox live because my packet loss rate is 16% (I assume this is the reason as my download speeds and others are OK) What is the cause of this??? Could it be the fact the router is using a cheap phone extension lead for about 15 meters from the phone socket? or could it be the (85mbps) home-plug adapters I'm using from the router to my Xbox?
Thanks, Dave

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
what are your home plug adapters? is that some system to link your network through your power outlets or something else?

packet is lost when the signal does not reach its destination. this can occure from near end or far end cross talk if your cables are not properly terminated or to short/long. signal attenuation can also cause this if your cables are near high interference sources with out proper shielding. if you can take a cat5 cable and run it from your router to your xbox, if you still get packet loss then its a safe bet the issue is in your dsl phone wires. phone wire is not insulated very well and his highly susceptible to cross talk. you can replace the phone wire from your dsl modem to the wall and make sure it is NOT on a filter while all your phones in the house should be filtered. if that does not solve the issue then the problem could be the house wiring. when i install dsl i find most people dont have a land line, thus i prefer to run a phone wire directly from the twisted pair coming into the house and plug that to the dsl modem. thats the best way to eliminate all the issues, if that does not fix it then call the isp and ask them to check there wiring box down the street. they can also come to your house and have them test the signal to noise ratio.

ac1d 53rp3n7

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
Thanks, they are the network power outlet things, it can't be the houses phone line as i have just moved house and had the same problem before.

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
the problem with using power wire to send network signals is the high amount of cross talk and attenuation you can get. think of it this way, the power wires are sending 120V at around 60HZ through both wires and a ground is sitting with the voltages from house appliances and what ever bleeds off from the other 2 power wires. there is no internal insulation or twisting. the wires in a house are wrapped once by an outside sheath, the inside black and white wire have there own thin sheath and the ground is just there. this produces a very poor environment to transmit signals across.

network cable operates at up to 500Mhz for cat6, this signal being truncated over a much lower end cabling standard can cause any number of issues. you also need to take into account where these outlets you are plugging into are terminated. if its an older house then heaven knows how long the runs are or what is daisy-chained with what. all that causes signal loss and degradation. another issue is power is sent via analog waves while nics send a digital signal. the high amperage of the power wires can cause huge issues with signal degradation.

if you plug in a alarm clock it might be using 1amp or less total power, if your furnace goes on it will be using 20 or 30 amps easily. this boost in power draw increases the power cabling's ambient interference. this is exactly why you never want to run cat5 utp near any large power boxes as the interference can effect data transmission signals as much as 5 feet away from the box; the same goes for florescent lightning.

i would run physical wire or setup a wifi N router to provide you with a wider range. if you need farther then i would setup a WAP.