Problems with winexit.exe and "power users"

August 24, 2005 2:29:03 PM

Hi,

I am a computer lab technician at Gonzaga University. I manage 150
computers all using winXP sp2 in a lab setting. We are trying to use a
microsoft product called winexit.exe. I have installed the new version for
XP. We are on an active directory system here. We use to have no problem
when our lab computers were running Win2000, and our users were all in the
administrators group. Now we have tightened up security by placing all our
users in the power users group.

Also, we used to set our winexit.exe screen saver settings logged on as
administrator then copy our administrator profile over our default user
profile.

When we try to rely on the default user profile now to initiate winexit.exe,
nothing happens. So we have gone to trying to use the group policy settings
in active directory. We have had a minor success with that. As long as an
administrator is logged on, winexit works properly. But when someone in the
power users group is logged on, winexit fails when it attempts to log them
off. An error message appears that says:
Error encountered while creating registry key. Make sure you have Set Value
and Create Subkey permissions.

Once we click "OK" on that, the log off continues properly.

I have tried adding the power users group to all the main registry keys and
editing the permissions to include those permissions, but it still happens.

I am open to having any kind of auto log off that will work consistently
with new profiles on an active directory, WinXP sp2 system.

Can anyone help me?

--
Rob

"Eddies in the space/time continuum"
Ford Prefect
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 5:19:20 PM

"ArrrghBob" <ArrrghBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone help me?

Keep in mind that if the user has locked the computer, winexit may not log off,
as discussed here:

http://www.winability.com/active-exit/winexit.htm

You may want to consider using our product ActiveExit instead of winexit (see
the web page above for more information).

--
HTH

Andrei Belogortseff
WinAbility(r) Software Corp. [ http://www.winability.com/ ]
"Useful Windows Utilities and Security Software"
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 5:42:09 PM

From:http://www.tburke.net/info/reskittools/topics/winexit.h...

In order for non-administrators to be able to use WinExit, you must add Set Value and Create Subkey permissions for the group Everyone on the registry key:

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"ArrrghBob" <ArrrghBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6313C3C4-15A6-445F-BCC4-3645FDF5FCA0@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I am a computer lab technician at Gonzaga University. I manage 150
> computers all using winXP sp2 in a lab setting. We are trying to use a
> microsoft product called winexit.exe. I have installed the new version for
> XP. We are on an active directory system here. We use to have no problem
> when our lab computers were running Win2000, and our users were all in the
> administrators group. Now we have tightened up security by placing all our
> users in the power users group.
>
> Also, we used to set our winexit.exe screen saver settings logged on as
> administrator then copy our administrator profile over our default user
> profile.
>
> When we try to rely on the default user profile now to initiate winexit.exe,
> nothing happens. So we have gone to trying to use the group policy settings
> in active directory. We have had a minor success with that. As long as an
> administrator is logged on, winexit works properly. But when someone in the
> power users group is logged on, winexit fails when it attempts to log them
> off. An error message appears that says:
> Error encountered while creating registry key. Make sure you have Set Value
> and Create Subkey permissions.
>
> Once we click "OK" on that, the log off continues properly.
>
> I have tried adding the power users group to all the main registry keys and
> editing the permissions to include those permissions, but it still happens.
>
> I am open to having any kind of auto log off that will work consistently
> with new profiles on an active directory, WinXP sp2 system.
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> --
> Rob
>
> "Eddies in the space/time continuum"
> Ford Prefect
August 25, 2005 4:13:03 AM

Adding to what Doug said:

Winexit.scr always causes this error when run from a restricted user
account. Here is the information you need:

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBc/tip1100/rh1179.htm

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Control.ini

BTW, the solution is to set appropriate permissions for the registry key
discussed in that article. You can find more information about registry
permissions in this article:

How To Use the Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Registry Editor Features:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310426

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"ArrrghBob" <ArrrghBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I am a computer lab technician at Gonzaga University. I manage 150
> computers all using winXP sp2 in a lab setting. We are trying to use a
> microsoft product called winexit.exe. I have installed the new version
> for
> XP. We are on an active directory system here. We use to have no problem
> when our lab computers were running Win2000, and our users were all in the
> administrators group. Now we have tightened up security by placing all
> our
> users in the power users group.
>
> Also, we used to set our winexit.exe screen saver settings logged on as
> administrator then copy our administrator profile over our default user
> profile.
>
> When we try to rely on the default user profile now to initiate
> winexit.exe,
> nothing happens. So we have gone to trying to use the group policy
> settings
> in active directory. We have had a minor success with that. As long as
> an
> administrator is logged on, winexit works properly. But when someone in
> the
> power users group is logged on, winexit fails when it attempts to log them
> off. An error message appears that says:
> Error encountered while creating registry key. Make sure you have Set
> Value
> and Create Subkey permissions.
>
> Once we click "OK" on that, the log off continues properly.
>
> I have tried adding the power users group to all the main registry keys
> and
> editing the permissions to include those permissions, but it still
> happens.
>
> I am open to having any kind of auto log off that will work consistently
> with new profiles on an active directory, WinXP sp2 system.
>
> Can anyone help me?
>
> --
> Rob
>
> "Eddies in the space/time continuum"
> Ford Prefect
Anonymous
August 26, 2005 6:13:02 PM

Thank you so much Doug!!
--

"Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

> From:http://www.tburke.net/info/reskittools/topics/winexit.h...
>
> In order for non-administrators to be able to use WinExit, you must add Set Value and Create Subkey permissions for the group Everyone on the registry key:
>
> HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

> Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
> http://www.dougknox.com
> --------------------------------
> --------------------------------
> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
>
> "ArrrghBob" <ArrrghBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6313C3C4-15A6-445F-BCC4-3645FDF5FCA0@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am a computer lab technician at Gonzaga University. I manage 150
> > computers all using winXP sp2 in a lab setting. We are trying to use a
> > microsoft product called winexit.exe. I have installed the new version for
> > XP. We are on an active directory system here. We use to have no problem
> > when our lab computers were running Win2000, and our users were all in the
> > administrators group. Now we have tightened up security by placing all our
> > users in the power users group.
> >
> > Also, we used to set our winexit.exe screen saver settings logged on as
> > administrator then copy our administrator profile over our default user
> > profile.
> >
> > When we try to rely on the default user profile now to initiate winexit.exe,
> > nothing happens. So we have gone to trying to use the group policy settings
> > in active directory. We have had a minor success with that. As long as an
> > administrator is logged on, winexit works properly. But when someone in the
> > power users group is logged on, winexit fails when it attempts to log them
> > off. An error message appears that says:
> > Error encountered while creating registry key. Make sure you have Set Value
> > and Create Subkey permissions.
> >
> > Once we click "OK" on that, the log off continues properly.
> >
> > I have tried adding the power users group to all the main registry keys and
> > editing the permissions to include those permissions, but it still happens.
> >
> > I am open to having any kind of auto log off that will work consistently
> > with new profiles on an active directory, WinXP sp2 system.
> >
> > Can anyone help me?
> >
> > --
> > Rob
> >
> > "Eddies in the space/time continuum"
> > Ford Prefect

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 6:14:02 PM

Thank you sincerely, Ramesh, you were extremely helpful!!!
--

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Adding to what Doug said:
>
> Winexit.scr always causes this error when run from a restricted user
> account. Here is the information you need:
>
> http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBc/tip1100/rh1179.htm
>
> HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\IniFileMapping\Control.ini
>
> BTW, the solution is to set appropriate permissions for the registry key
> discussed in that article. You can find more information about registry
> permissions in this article:
>
> How To Use the Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Registry Editor Features:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310426
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "ArrrghBob" <ArrrghBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am a computer lab technician at Gonzaga University. I manage 150
> > computers all using winXP sp2 in a lab setting. We are trying to use a
> > microsoft product called winexit.exe. I have installed the new version
> > for
> > XP. We are on an active directory system here. We use to have no problem
> > when our lab computers were running Win2000, and our users were all in the
> > administrators group. Now we have tightened up security by placing all
> > our
> > users in the power users group.
> >
> > Also, we used to set our winexit.exe screen saver settings logged on as
> > administrator then copy our administrator profile over our default user
> > profile.
> >
> > When we try to rely on the default user profile now to initiate
> > winexit.exe,
> > nothing happens. So we have gone to trying to use the group policy
> > settings
> > in active directory. We have had a minor success with that. As long as
> > an
> > administrator is logged on, winexit works properly. But when someone in
> > the
> > power users group is logged on, winexit fails when it attempts to log them
> > off. An error message appears that says:
> > Error encountered while creating registry key. Make sure you have Set
> > Value
> > and Create Subkey permissions.
> >
> > Once we click "OK" on that, the log off continues properly.
> >
> > I have tried adding the power users group to all the main registry keys
> > and
> > editing the permissions to include those permissions, but it still
> > happens.
> >
> > I am open to having any kind of auto log off that will work consistently
> > with new profiles on an active directory, WinXP sp2 system.
> >
> > Can anyone help me?
> >
> > --
> > Rob
> >
> > "Eddies in the space/time continuum"
> > Ford Prefect

Anonymous
August 26, 2005 6:14:04 PM

Thanks for the reminder Andrei!!
--

"WinAbility.Com" wrote:

> "ArrrghBob" <ArrrghBob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can anyone help me?
>
> Keep in mind that if the user has locked the computer, winexit may not log off,
> as discussed here:
>
> http://www.winability.com/active-exit/winexit.htm
>
> You may want to consider using our product ActiveExit instead of winexit (see
> the web page above for more information).
>
> --
> HTH
>
> Andrei Belogortseff
> WinAbility(r) Software Corp. [ http://www.winability.com/ ]
> "Useful Windows Utilities and Security Software"

Anonymous
August 27, 2005 12:27:09 PM

You're welcome Rob.

--