CosmicChopsticks

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
I finished building a desktop yesterday, and it all worked out well apart from a few issues with my graphics card. I have installed the latest drivers to the best of my knowledge (from here) a couple of times and reinstalled windows once.

Firstly, Catalyst Control Centre isn't detecting the correct resolution for my monitor (22" 1920x1080) and I am unable to select the correct resolution in the control panel. I eventually worked out that I can manually change the resolution through CCC but I have to do this every time I restart the computer. After a reboot it defaults to 1600x1200.

Secondly, my second monitor is not being detected at all. The first one is plugged into the DVI-D port on the graphics card with a DVI-D to VGA adaptor that came with the graphics card, and the second is in the VGA port on my motherboard (Asus P8Z77-V LX) as the graphics card only has 1 DVI-D, an HDMI and 2 Mini DisplayPorts. The monitors do not support HDMI. Both screens and cables have been tested on the working port, and they work.

I am terrified that I have bought wrongly, as I have spent a lot of money on this build and cannot afford to replace any parts. Please help me with these problems guys.

First of all, you cannot connect to the motherboard and graphics card at the same time with some motherboard. That might be the issue why it isn't picking up your second monitor.

As for resolution detection - it's because you're using VGA adapter, it's analog signal and it doesn't carry digital information. I'd suggest using DVI to DVI cable.

CosmicChopsticks

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
So how would you suggest connecting 2 monitors? The motherboard also only has 1 DVI-D, so that wouldn't work either. Would using the Mini DisplayPorts in the graphics card to the DVI-D in the monitor work?

CosmicChopsticks

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012

So how would you suggest connecting 2 monitors? The motherboard also only has 1 DVI-D, so that wouldn't work either. Would using the Mini DisplayPorts in the graphics card to the DVI-D in the monitor work?

Heavy E

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
First, you need to look a getting a dvi cable for your primary monitor.

Second, unless your bios indicates you can use both onboard and add-on graphics, it disables the onboard stuff.

Just a suggestion, but try the on-board graphics first. the new Intel built in stuff is pretty good. Not super card good, but pretty good.

Also, I just sold a HD6xxx radeon card because it did not like my asus motherboard.
The person I sold it to, they also have an asus motherboard and we both had terrible issues with it.

If you can, try a geForce card instead and you will probably not have anywhere near the issues, and look for one with DUAL DVI outputs.

I have a 19" Dell monitor and on the vga, it wont see its highest resolution of 1440x900, but the DVI it will.

Using the adapter kills some of its communication ability and quality of resolution.

Happy new year