Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Xonar Essence STX and Windows 8

Last response: in Components
February 5, 2013 3:34:57 PM

Hello-
I just upgraded to Windows 8 and now my Xonar STX software will not open. When I boot pc or attempt to open software, I get an
Asus Xonar Essence STX message that states Can't find any device. I have sound and Windows recognizes the installed hardware.
I have uninstalled\removed hardware and software. I got the latest driver for Windows 8 from Asus. I even tried tweaking the onboard settings in the bios. Called Asus, and they told me that it is probably the card. However, I am skeptical as it only occurred when I upgraded to Windows 8. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 5, 2013 5:07:15 PM

Try the Xonar Unified Drivers and see if that helps any.
m
l
February 5, 2013 6:28:03 PM

Did you open up the case to replace some stuff and knock the power cord out of the card ?
m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2013 6:47:14 PM

spartansociety said:
Did you open up the case to replace some stuff and knock the power cord out of the card ?

No, this was strictly a software upgrade. Nothing was wiggled or jiggled.
m
l
February 5, 2013 7:06:38 PM

gamerk316 said:
Try the Xonar Unified Drivers and see if that helps any.

Thank you but that also did not work. Instead of the error being Xonar Essence STX, it is now UNi Xonar Audio. Otherwise, it still cannot find any device. Windows shows that it is now using the unified driver and I am getting perfectly good sound.
m
l

Best solution

February 6, 2013 3:42:05 PM

Did you try reinstalling windows 8 (clean install ) ??
February 6, 2013 4:57:57 PM

No, I have not as I was trying to avoid having to re-install everything. That will be my last resort. I will admit now that I was being lazy and that I know the best results are obtained from a clean install.
m
l
March 3, 2013 10:49:35 PM

Well, spent some time talking to Asus and was told that since they do not guarantee that Windows 8 is compatible with the Asus mobo I am using they cannot guarantee that my Asus sound card will work correctly. I have decided to bite the bullet and do a clean install on the box and hope for the best. My only other options in the event of a failure will be to upgrade to a newer mobo or go back to Windows 7. Not sure why I went to 8 anyway. Maybe I was dazzled by the pretty cover.
m
l
March 11, 2013 12:07:13 AM

Best answer selected by kaybel.
m
l
March 30, 2013 8:17:55 AM

kaybel said:
Well, spent some time talking to Asus and was told that since they do not guarantee that Windows 8 is compatible with the Asus mobo I am using they cannot guarantee that my Asus sound card will work correctly. I have decided to bite the bullet and do a clean install on the box and hope for the best. My only other options in the event of a failure will be to upgrade to a newer mobo or go back to Windows 7. Not sure why I went to 8 anyway. Maybe I was dazzled by the pretty cover.

What did you wind up doing?

I have a new PC with Win 8 and also can't get my STX to work.
m
l
April 5, 2013 12:36:36 PM

greg631 said:
kaybel said:

What did you wind up doing?

I have a new PC with Win 8 and also can't get my STX to work.

As of April 4, 2013, Asus provided a new update. go get PCI_STX_8_0_8_1818_Win8 and install. All now works well!
Thanks and good luck!
m
l
!