Artifacting - Is it my VRAM? And upgrading my HD 5970.

Awefulwaffle

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
I'm not sure if my technical question is supposed to be posted here. It's my first time using the forums. :\

A few weeks ago I had a GPU Overheating Error on my screen that forced my computer to stop, at which point I shut it down. Before it shut down I was experiencing artifacting and I figured something was wrong, but didn't realize a temperature my GPU was hitting. When I turned the computer back on, cleaned out my case, and tried again I still ended up with Artifacting on particular parts of the game.

Here's a link to a picture of the artificating I'm seeing:

http://tinypic.com/r/2ii915s/6

And here's a link to the page where I learned about artifacting:

http://www.playtool.com/pages/artifacts/artifacts.html

I've also experienced checkers on my desktop, and a colorful purple/black mess of a boarder on open folders.

Relating to bad video ram on my GPU, I've heard it could also be something wrong with the memory my GPU stores on my Mobo, making it a mobo problem. I've had this computer for 2~3 years and this problem just started after that GPU overheating crash. I'm pretty sure it's the GPU Ram and not the mobo, but can anyone confirm with me? My specs will be listed below.

Second question: I have $600~$700 to upgrade my faulty Graphics Card. Hopefully this weekend or early into next week. I use my system strictly for gaming. Everything from MMOs to Crysis, Battlefield, Metro, etc. I'd prefer to play on high~ graphics settings. I'm honestly mostly buying this new GPU for Guild Wars 2 that's coming out later this month, but I want it to be able to stand up to future games like Crysis 3 on High/Very high. Along with Battlefield 3/4, etc. :)

-----------------------------------------
GPU - Radeon HD 5970

Power Supply - Corsair CMPSU-850TX 850W

Mother board - ASUS Crosshair IV Formula AM3 AMD 890FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD

CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooling - CORSAIR CWCH50-1 High Performance CPU Cooler

RAM - 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3

Case - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225
------------------------------------------

The only resolution I've run is 1920x1080. I don't SLI or Crossfire, yet. My MOBO supports Crossfire, but I don't think SLI.

Reading the monthly Tom's Hardware review, I've set my sights on the HD 7970 or the 7950. I'm not opposed to going for the 7950, as it would allow me to purchase a second monitor if I wanted and/or extra RAM. If my mobo supports NVIDIA, I don't mind switching as long as I can pretty much install the GPU and play - I don't want to have to change anything around inside my case if I don't have to.

If anyone has any other suggestions for a GPU or my artificating problem, please let me know. If you can't tell, I'm pretty new when it comes to building my own system. I did it once, played for a few years, and now have to replace a part.

Thanks again for any and all help!

drums101

Distinguished
can you take a reading of the temperature of your gpu while in games? It sounds like its overheating...as far as it being a motherboard problem I highly doubt it....also have you tried updating your drivers? Let us know what your temps are like in game you can get this reading using GPU-Z....if you were to go the upgrade route I would look into a 7970 or a gtx 670...your motherboard does not limit you to ati cards just only crossfire ati cards.

maxh22

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

I think you should change the thermal paste on the GPU. Sometimes after a few years the card will randomly get really hot and shut itself down.

There are a lot of videos on youtube on how to do this.

BTW a 5970 is pretty close to performance to a 7970, but since its a dual gpu you will have microstutter with the 5970 and more power consumption and heat.

Awefulwaffle

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012
MSI Afterburner lables my GPU1 @ 61c and GPU2 @ 64~65c, both fairly normal for the whole time I've been using this card I do believe.

When I put my hand on the case fan above my GPU when I had the temperature error, it felt warmer, but I didn't clock the temp at the time.

Edit - I also want to point out I'm CONSTANTLY getting artifacting. Not just while my GPU is being stressed. Unstressed I get checkers, etc.

Would thermal paste help this problem after damage has already been done? :O I'm also assuming at this point it doesn't sound like a MoBo problem?

(Thanks for the help by the way.)

Edit - For spelling ^^;

drums101

Distinguished
if you are getting artifacting while not under load it sounds like the gpu is damaged already...you could try taking off the heatsink and replacing the thermal paste as maxh22 said and while the cooler is off make sure the vram has proper contact with the thermal pads and cooler

Awefulwaffle

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

Thanks so much for the help. I think at this point I'm ready to upgrade the GPU. . . I'll end up trying the thermal paste option later on and see if I can get the 5970 working again.

However, just to make sure I'm getting all of my facts strait, I'll make a little checklist:

1.) In the event the GPU is already damaged, would replacing the thermal paste actually help out? Or is it beyond repair?

2.) In terms of the 7970 vs. GTX 670, the Tom's Hardware review is really selling me on the 670. . . I might be able to pick up a new monitor (With speakers!), upgrade my RAM (4gigs <_>, might want more to help support 2 monitors? :D), or indeed even possibly a SSD. . . Anyone have a preference of the 7970 over the 670?

Any other tips or info is mucho appreciated. Thank all so very much.

drums101

Distinguished
I prefer the 670 bc its only 5% slower or so than a 680 and it can oc pretty well....I would go for that one if given the choice.....if you have some money left over a ssd would be a worthy investment....you could get like a 60gb for your OS it would really make a big difference in the snappy-ness of your pc....if you have 4gb of ram now another 4gb would def be good. a 670 would support two or 3 monitors from one card so if you do go the monitor route you will be fine....what monitor do you have now?

Awefulwaffle

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

I'm currently using an lg flatron e2350v as my monitor.

It's worked wonders for me so far because when I game I generally just use a Turtle Beach/Tritton headset, and I have some OLD speakers if I want the stereo if multiple people want to watch something like a Colbert episode.

However, the speakers are broken and the monitor does not have internal speakers, so at the moment I'd either need another set of speakers or another monitor. I'm leaning towards the monitor.

Any suggestions?

drums101

Distinguished
well speakers on monitors generally suck ass.....and mutli displays are useless for gaming unless you have 3 which in my opinion still sucks bc you have the bezels....I would personally go for new speakers a ssd and ram upgrade before I got a second and/or a third monitor....unless you are really into the multi monitor thing...I would even get a bigger monitor before I go with more than one display.

http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO

here is a set of really good 2.1 speakers I have a few friends who have them and they are all pleased with them

Awefulwaffle

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

Thanks for the speaker link :D I'll be checking them out.

As for an SSD and RAM. . . Is there anything in particular do I look for in a SSD? Any suggestions on which I should get? My friend had some bad experiences with a few SSDs, but I haven't been in contact with him for a while so I can't really ask him. I'll look it up right now, but if you have any suggestions as to what you prefer, let me know!

drums101

Distinguished
well if you have sata 3 on your motherboard I would recommend either of these two ssd's....
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-227-725

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-227-737

actually looking at newegg they dont seem to stock the vertex 2's anymore and the ones they do are over priced so I would go with either of those two ssd's if you have sata 2 on your mobo anyways....I have built systems using both of these ssd's and they are still working great super quick

Awefulwaffle

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

I do believe I have one SATA 3 drive on my MoBo.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131644

However, I also think my internal hardrive is using that slot, if I'm reading the specs correctly? It requires 1 SATA 3.0Gb/s. . . I'm assuming that's a SATA 3?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

So yah. I'm thinking my MoBo has 1 SATA 3, and that 3 is being taken by my first HD. :3

Am I reading this wrong?

drums101

Distinguished
lol yes you are reading it wrong but in a good way haha....if the link you sent me is correct you actually have 6 sata 3 ports on your motherboard so you will be fine for those ssd's (get the most speed out of them)

quick lesson on sata......Sata II (2) runs at a rate of 3gb/s and sata III (3) runs at a rate of 6gb/s...this is confusing lol and it trips alot of people up

Awefulwaffle

Honorable
Aug 2, 2012

Thank you very much! You have stuck with me through my whole topic and have indeed done it without getting annoyed at my persistent questions! You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar!