EOS 1d saves both jpeg and raw files?

Last response: in Digital Camera
September 29, 2005 12:37:32 AM

Can any EOS 1d user tell me, I shot at high jpeg and raw together, yet can
only access the high jpeg files afterwards - how does one access the RAW
files?

Mr.Will
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 12:37:33 AM

>I shot at high jpeg and raw together, yet can only access
>the high jpeg files afterwards - how does one access the RAW
>files?

What program are you trying to to view the RAW files with? Any
graphics program will display jpegs but to see the RAW files you'll
need either the Canon software (File Viewer Utility or EOS Viewer or
whatever came with the camera) or a program with RAW conversion
software like Capture One or RSE or Photoshop etc.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 12:37:33 AM

Mr.Will wrote:

> Can any EOS 1d user tell me, I shot at high jpeg and raw together, yet can
> only access the high jpeg files afterwards - how does one access the RAW
> files?

You don't provide much information, but I'm guessing you're trying to use
Windows camera wizard.

Windows doesn't recognize RAW files on EOS cameras.. Until they write
this in to the operating system, you will never see RAW files this way.

You have to use Canon's supplied software to download RAW files from
your camera..

For about $10.00 US, you can purchase a compact flash card reader and
have full access to everything on your memory cards....
September 29, 2005 12:37:33 AM

> Mr.Will writes ...
>
> take the card out of the camera and plug it into this yet seem to have one
>folder only called "EOSDCIM" or something similar and it has only the jpegs.
>Canon manual definitely says you should get two files of the same name but
>one with extension jpg and one with extension tif.

I have a Mark II and you can set nine different record modes, four
different sizes/compressions of jpegs, one RAW only, and four with RAW
+ one of the four jpeg options ... are you certain you have the 1D set
to the correct mode? Otherwise it won't automatically record both.
September 29, 2005 1:20:00 AM

IF you have Windows XP you can go to Microsoft and down load the program
that lets you see the raw photos. I did it and it works great.

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.com> wrote in message
>> Mr.Will writes ...
>>
>> take the card out of the camera and plug it into this yet seem to have
>> one
>>folder only called "EOSDCIM" or something similar and it has only the
>>jpegs.
>>Canon manual definitely says you should get two files of the same name but
>>one with extension jpg and one with extension tif.
>
> I have a Mark II and you can set nine different record modes, four
> different sizes/compressions of jpegs, one RAW only, and four with RAW
> + one of the four jpeg options ... are you certain you have the 1D set
> to the correct mode? Otherwise it won't automatically record both.

Anonymous
September 29, 2005 4:00:21 AM

RON wrote:

> IF you have Windows XP you can go to Microsoft and down load the program
> that lets you see the raw photos. I did it and it works great.

What program is that ??

Do you have a link ?
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 5:48:48 AM

"Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
> Mr.Will wrote:
>
> > Can any EOS 1d user tell me, I shot at high jpeg and raw together, yet
can
> > only access the high jpeg files afterwards - how does one access the RAW
> > files?
>
> You don't provide much information, but I'm guessing you're trying to use
> Windows camera wizard.
>
> Windows doesn't recognize RAW files on EOS cameras.. Until they write
> this in to the operating system, you will never see RAW files this way.
>
> You have to use Canon's supplied software to download RAW files from
> your camera..
>
> For about $10.00 US, you can purchase a compact flash card reader and
> have full access to everything on your memory cards....

Hi there Jim,

Thanks, but I have a flashcard reader - this is what is puzzling me.
I take the card out of the camera and plug it into this yet seem to have one
folder only called "EOSDCIM" or something similar and it has only the jpegs.
Canon manual definitely says you should get two files of the same name but
one with extension jpg and one with extension tif.

This is the original EOS 1d and not the mark 2 if that makes any difference.
Its weird though because the manual definitely states this is a feature of
the camera.

Mr.Will
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 8:39:18 AM

Mr.Will wrote:

> "Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message
>
>>Mr.Will wrote:
>>

>>>Can any EOS 1d user tell me, I shot at high jpeg and raw together, yet
>
> can
>
>>>only access the high jpeg files afterwards - how does one access the RAW
>>>files?
>>
>>You don't provide much information, but I'm guessing you're trying to use
>>Windows camera wizard.
>>
>>Windows doesn't recognize RAW files on EOS cameras.. Until they write
>>this in to the operating system, you will never see RAW files this way.
>>
>>You have to use Canon's supplied software to download RAW files from
>>your camera..
>>
>>For about $10.00 US, you can purchase a compact flash card reader and
>>have full access to everything on your memory cards....
>>

> Hi there Jim,
>
> Thanks, but I have a flashcard reader - this is what is puzzling me.
> I take the card out of the camera and plug it into this yet seem to have one
> folder only called "EOSDCIM" or something similar and it has only the jpegs.
> Canon manual definitely says you should get two files of the same name but
> one with extension jpg and one with extension tif.
>
> This is the original EOS 1d and not the mark 2 if that makes any difference.
> Its weird though because the manual definitely states this is a feature of
> the camera.
>
> Mr.Will

Hi Mr. Will

Don't have one, didn't win the lottery yet... soon though :)

Just thinking out loud; wonder if the raw files might be hidden?

A quick and easy check might be to start with an empty card. You
naturally know the capacity. Record a few "combo" shots, then look
at it in dos or windows explorer with your reader.

See the size of the jpeg's, subtract that from the card capacity,
and allowing for sector size losses see how much, if any, space is
missing?

Like I say, just a thought.

Take care.

Ken
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 12:03:17 PM

Yep, we covered this back in June, this page has news comment and the
download link:

http://dpnow.com/1869.html

Ian

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com
Visit our discussion forum at http://dpnow.com/Forums.html

> RON wrote:
>
>> IF you have Windows XP you can go to Microsoft and down load the program
>> that lets you see the raw photos. I did it and it works great.
>
> What program is that ??
>
> Do you have a link ?

Anonymous
September 29, 2005 12:38:48 PM

I've looked back at my 2001 archive of 1D shots and indeed, the JPEGs are
saved alongside the RAW images and these have a .TIF extension. Later Canons
use the .CRW extension.

If you can't see them , it does look like you didn't save them and the
camera was not configured correctly.

"Ken Weitzel" <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> Mr.Will wrote:
>
>> "Jim Townsend" <not@real.address> wrote in message

>> can

>>>You don't provide much information, but I'm guessing you're trying to use
>>>Windows camera wizard.
>>>
>>>Windows doesn't recognize RAW files on EOS cameras.. Until they write
>>>this in to the operating system, you will never see RAW files this way.
>>>
>>>You have to use Canon's supplied software to download RAW files from
>>>your camera..
>>>
>>>For about $10.00 US, you can purchase a compact flash card reader and
>>>have full access to everything on your memory cards....
>>>

>> Hi there Jim,
>>
>> Thanks, but I have a flashcard reader - this is what is puzzling me.
>> I take the card out of the camera and plug it into this yet seem to have
>> one
>> folder only called "EOSDCIM" or something similar and it has only the
>> jpegs.
>> Canon manual definitely says you should get two files of the same name
>> but
>> one with extension jpg and one with extension tif.
>>
>> This is the original EOS 1d and not the mark 2 if that makes any
>> difference.
>> Its weird though because the manual definitely states this is a feature
>> of
>> the camera.
>>
>> Mr.Will
>
> Hi Mr. Will
>
> Don't have one, didn't win the lottery yet... soon though :)
>
> Just thinking out loud; wonder if the raw files might be hidden?
>
> A quick and easy check might be to start with an empty card. You
> naturally know the capacity. Record a few "combo" shots, then look
> at it in dos or windows explorer with your reader.
>
> See the size of the jpeg's, subtract that from the card capacity,
> and allowing for sector size losses see how much, if any, space is
> missing?
>
> Like I say, just a thought.
>
> Take care.
>
> Ken

Anonymous
September 30, 2005 3:26:39 AM

Thanks to everyone who helped me here.
I think the Manual supplied by Canon doesnt go into enough depth, or maybe I
just couldnt get it from the manual.

essentially in one window, one must make sure that the setting is to "RAW",
and then from your menu must select the RAW+ high jpeg option for the
recording of jpeg plus raw.
The manual seems to only mention the menu screen and not the shortcut window
at the bottom of the camera.

Thanks for helping once again.

Mr.Will
!