My build is under performing?

HopelessNoob

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Okay so here's my build:

Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+

ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM

For some reason I only get 10 fps in battlefield even after OCing the CPU and IGP. I seriously don't know what's going on because I see people on youtube getting ~20 fps on stock speeds and based off of this http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-3720qm-ivy-bridge-mobile-ultrabook,3185-6.html I should be getting more than 10 fps. Can anyone help me figure this out?

Thanks

-Mark

Solution
G

yeah though i think that mistake was caused by thinking you will achieve the same FPS as in the article's benchmarks.

a lot of benches ough to be taken with a grain of salt having many variables involved; test system set up, gpu drivers, game patches and ect.

though the bottom line is as long as you know that the hardware is performing up to snuff, then there is no harm in being a bit misguided.

Pylin

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
Am I reading this right or is it that you just have integrated graphics? EA/DICE are notorious for not letting Intel HD Graphics users play their games well, even if they have amazing specs it all comes down to the video card.

G

to directly answer the question why the difference between what you are getting and that linked benchmark:

that is a notebook i7 with intel HD 4000. though i don't know how/why there would be a difference with a desktop igpu, it may.

also a lot of benchmarks ought to be taken with a grain of salt; everyone's mileage will vary.

G

I am very confused as to why you got a teir 1 CPU and a teir 20 GPU then attempted to game on it.

Especially considering how overboard you went with Ram and motherboard.

I guess this is an incomplete build? because it's extremely unbalanced.

G

excuse me for playing "thread police" and no offense to anyone:
For some reason I only get 10 fps in battlefield even after OCing the CPU and IGP. I seriously don't know what's going on because I see people on youtube getting ~20 fps on stock speeds and based off of this http://www.tomshardware.com/review [...] 185-6.html I should be getting more than 10 fps. Can anyone help me figure this out?
battlefield3.png

that is the topic people!

everyone knows a dedicated card will be an improvement; the challenge is helping to OP figure out why they are not getting the performance based off of similar systems.

that is all . . . .

Did you have a budget? If so, you could buy now and enjoy your game. Otherwise you will have to wait until then.

Well if you would have bought a cheaper CPU and a dedicated GPU for about the same price as the 3570k, you would have been better off for gaming. Unfortunately you won't have any better gaming until you get a dedicated GPU. Your CPU is one of the best, but for the $ spent, you don't have a gaming system.

G

i would suggest trying to use another available game to compare with. then if the performance is similar you know that the igpu is not the issue.

also have you go through the settings in the game and made sure that motion blur is off and the resolutions are the same? a small detail can result in a substantial difference at this low of performance.

on one hand we are talking about a low end graphics solution that had HD video playback in mind then it was made. but on the other hand i do understand your concern for spending hard earned money on something and wanting it to perform as what others get.

HopelessNoob

Honorable
May 28, 2012
Okay I just tried league of legends and I had to turn everything to very low and no shadows and 1600x900 resolution to get 60 fps and even at that it was being choppy when there were team fights... I don't think that's normal for an Intel HD 4000?

HopelessNoob

Honorable
May 28, 2012
I have another question when I play games on my HD 4000 will that cause the CPU load to increase? The CPU load seems to go up significantly in the task manager which I have never noticed it before on my laptop with a dedicated GPU

G

yeah though i think that mistake was caused by thinking you will achieve the same FPS as in the article's benchmarks.

a lot of benches ough to be taken with a grain of salt having many variables involved; test system set up, gpu drivers, game patches and ect.

though the bottom line is as long as you know that the hardware is performing up to snuff, then there is no harm in being a bit misguided.

Solution