Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Yet another PSU choice dilemma

Last response: in Components
Share
February 5, 2013 5:20:16 PM

Hello,

I'm looking for a psu for my future gaming build, it will be a ivy bridge one. I can't decide what psu to buy as there are so many choices. I read all around that 550-650w will be more than enough for me. Here is the components list, will use this site for links.

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card
NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Add a regular 500 gb hdd as a storage drive to this

I will be overclocking the cpu after I get a cooler too, no plans for sli. Originally I was going to get a XFX Core Edition 650W, but then I saw some reviews of the new platinum series of seasonic (the xp660 platinum) and I changed my mind. I red its a top class psu, I liked its features too, especially the fan-less mode thing if you don't use more than 30% of its load and being fully modular(guess that helps for cooling) I can stretch my budget a bit and get it, but I wouldn't mind saving some money either and get a nice cooler for example. My question is if I will really need such a psu and if it will make a big difference when it comes to noise level(I would really like to have a silent psu) and efficiency. I also know that XFX psus are made inside by seasonic so I believe this one is good too. Any ideas what to do? :D 

More about : psu choice dilemma

a c 283 ) Power supply
February 5, 2013 5:40:21 PM

Sw1zzle said:
Hello,

I'm looking for a psu for my future gaming build, it will be a ivy bridge one. I can't decide what psu to buy as there are so many choices. I read all around that 550-650w will be more than enough for me. Here is the components list, will use this site for links.

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor
Asus P8Z77-V PRO ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card
NZXT Phantom 410 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Add a regular 500 gb hdd as a storage drive to this

I will be overclocking the cpu after I get a cooler too, no plans for sli. Originally I was going to get a XFX Core Edition 650W, but then I saw some reviews of the new platinum series of seasonic (the xp660 platinum) and I changed my mind. I red its a top class psu, I liked its features too, especially the fan-less mode thing if you don't use more than 30% of its load and being fully modular(guess that helps for cooling) I can stretch my budget a bit and get it, but I wouldn't mind saving some money either and get a nice cooler for example. My question is if I will really need such a psu and if it will make a big difference when it comes to noise level(I would really like to have a silent psu) and efficiency. I also know that XFX psus are made inside by seasonic so I believe this one is good too. Any ideas what to do? :D 


Hi - you read correctly, 550-650w is more than enough to power your sys with one gtx 670.
A quality 500w unit will have sufficient power and amps on the +12v rail(s).

As far as getting the 660 platinum, it's nice but you don't need it. Many of the better
quality psu's run fairly quiet, and several that are less $ than the platinum have
fans that kick on only when needed, such as Seasonic's x-650 gold.

or even this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

both tout smart & quiet fans

Tom

here's a couple more 650's that also tout quite operation:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... nets to $70 after mir & promo

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...



February 6, 2013 9:00:11 AM

thx allot for the help, guess I'll get whatever is cheaper
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 6, 2013 10:27:16 AM

i don't recall ever seeing the HX650 that low in price after MIR, its a steal if spending $90 plus the $20 MIR card could be considered stealing.
February 6, 2013 10:47:48 AM

Can never go wrong with Corsair or Seasonic. The PSU is the last thing one should cheap out on.
a c 283 ) Power supply
February 6, 2013 11:10:30 AM

dirtyferret said:
i don't recall ever seeing the HX650 that low in price after MIR, its a steal if spending $90 plus the $20 MIR card could be considered stealing.


Maybe Corsair is gonna revise that model - that's the one they
cheaped out on, reducing the # of PCI-E connectors from
4(previous model) to 2 on this model.
a b ) Power supply
February 6, 2013 12:05:05 PM

Maybe not that you really need that many connectors on a 650w unit with today's power efficient video cards
a c 283 ) Power supply
February 6, 2013 12:24:11 PM

dirtyferret said:
Maybe not that you really need that many connectors on a 650w unit with today's power efficient video cards


You need 4for CF/SLI on many of those gpu's, and most of em
can CF/SLI fine on 650w, so only 2 PCI-E connectors on a
650w unit being marketed as PRofessional series is a def
cheap out.
a c 283 ) Power supply
February 6, 2013 12:24:30 PM

dirtyferret said:
Maybe not that you really need that many connectors on a 650w unit with today's power efficient video cards


You need 4for CF/SLI on many of those gpu's, and most of em
can CF/SLI fine on 650w, so only 2 PCI-E connectors on a
650w unit being marketed as PRofessional series is a def
cheap out.
a c 283 ) Power supply
February 6, 2013 12:24:51 PM

dirtyferret said:
Maybe not that you really need that many connectors on a 650w unit with today's power efficient video cards


You need 4for CF/SLI on many of those gpu's, and most of em
can CF/SLI fine on 650w, so only 2 PCI-E connectors on a
650w unit being marketed as PRofessional series is a def
cheap out.

UGH - sorry for triple post - kept getting an error page
sayin come back later.
!