Sign in with
Your question

Can my power supply handle this upgrade?

Last response: in Components
February 5, 2013 6:24:02 PM

Hi i was hoping to upgrade my motherboard, memory and CPU, but i'm not sure if my power supply can handle it. It would be great if anyone can give me advice about this.

My power supply is: Corsair CMPSU-400CXUK 400W

My specs with the upgrades will be:

Intel Core i5-2500 3.3GHz
DDR3 1333MHz CL9 4GB RAM
Gigabyte GA-H61MA-D2V Motherboard
Geforce GTX 650TI
Creative Sound Blaster Audigy
two hard drives
DVD writer
a b ) Power supply
February 5, 2013 7:45:31 PM

Yeah, your fine. Cutting it close but it should be fine. If you really want to set your mind at ease, get an HD7770. Uses less power and is almost as powerful as the GTX650ti. Is also cheaper.
February 5, 2013 8:36:10 PM

I already bought the 650ti but decided to upgrade my CPU. So you think the corsair PSU will be ok? My brother offered me an old power supply he has sitting around but i'm not sure if it's a good make: "OCZ 600 Watt Game XStream". Which power supply would be better?
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
February 5, 2013 8:51:54 PM

bhoona said:
I already bought the 650ti but decided to upgrade my CPU. So you think the corsair PSU will be ok? My brother offered me an old power supply he has sitting around but i'm not sure if it's a good make: "OCZ 600 Watt Game XStream". Which power supply would be better?

OCZ is pretty good, rather use it. They should be of same quality and stability. So the OCZ will provide more wattage and be equally reliable.
a b ) Power supply
February 5, 2013 9:12:12 PM

The Corsair 400CX was manufactured by SeaSonic, regarded as the best OEM in PSU's. It will power your 650ti without any problems, assuming you are not overclocking.

I purchased two Corsair 400CX PSUs when they were still being sold and they are both working great to this day. In fact, one of them is powering a system with a Core i5-2500 and a Radeon HD4850, which uses more power than a 650ti.
February 5, 2013 9:13:51 PM

I don't see why not. My 7870 and 8120 goes at like 550w at full load. Not to mention my 7970 is overclocked.
February 6, 2013 12:47:04 PM

Thanks for the advice. There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice online about power supplies but i trust this forum over it.

For example on the website i was going to buy my upgrades from there is these answers to questions asked by customers (the bundle they are talking about is the I5 2500 processor with the motherboard and RAM i mentioned in my specs):

"Q: Hi, I have a 4 year old 500w power supply - my graphics card ia a GTX 560 ... and I have two 1TB HDDs ... would I need to upgrade my PSU for this bunlde? If so what would you recommend from your own stock? My current CPU is a Core 2 quad Q8300. Would this then make a reasonable gaming set-up ... as well as everyday office/home workings?

A GTX 560 requires a 500W power supply, so I would definately suggest an upgrade. You'd need two 6-pin connections so I would recommend something like the Cooler Master GX (PSU0332) as a minimum. This should be quite a decent gaming machine.

Q: hi. what would be the minimum psu wattage needed for this bundle please ? im currently running a nvidia gtx 460 gpu on a corsair 430w psu on my current system but would like to upgrade. cheers

That PSU is only just powerful enough for the graphics card, as most list a requirement of 450W. I would likely recommend you upgrade your power supply, 550W should be more than sufficient."

So i'm taking it from your replies these guys are giving false information?
a c 307 ) Power supply
February 6, 2013 1:07:37 PM

bhoona said:
Thanks for the advice. There seems to be a lot of conflicting advice online about power supplies but i trust this forum over it.

For example on the website i was going to buy my upgrades from there is these answers to questions asked by customers (the bundle they are talking about is the I5 2500 processor with the motherboard and RAM i mentioned in my specs):

"Q: Hi, I have a 4 year old 500w power supply - my graphics card ia a GTX 560 ... and I have two 1TB HDDs ... would I need to upgrade my PSU for this bunlde? If so what would you recommend from your own stock? My current CPU is a Core 2 quad Q8300. Would this then make a reasonable gaming set-up ... as well as everyday office/home workings?

A GTX 560 requires a 500W power supply, so I would definately suggest an upgrade. You'd need two 6-pin connections so I would recommend something like the Cooler Master GX (PSU0332) as a minimum. This should be quite a decent gaming machine.

Q: hi. what would be the minimum psu wattage needed for this bundle please ? im currently running a nvidia gtx 460 gpu on a corsair 430w psu on my current system but would like to upgrade. cheers

That PSU is only just powerful enough for the graphics card, as most list a requirement of 450W. I would likely recommend you upgrade your power supply, 550W should be more than sufficient."

So i'm taking it from your replies these guys are giving false information?

LOL - well, a lot of times people suggest the AMD/Nvidia recommended req. But, there's
headroom(fluff) in those to account for among other things PSU suppliers that
exaggerate and outright lie about their publ specs, also there are a lot of older
PSU's out there that are decent quality, but are short on the important +12v rail(s) amps.

Also, some posters will post more than you need, while others will post the minimum.

I use realhardtech's recommendations, but even they build in some headroom,

such as your situation, as they recommend 430w for your sys., but I agree it
will run on 400w.

Yes - sites will give false info (such as suggesting a Coolermaster PSU) to sell
what they have in stock.
February 6, 2013 8:24:40 PM

Don't use a suggestion based off of 1 component in your computer.
!