Help. Win 7 connects via Wifi, none via LAN

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Heys guys need some help here. I built my first gaming PC and it rocks. I decided to get rid of my wifi and go straight LAN wired internet connection to PC. The wifi connected fine, but when i plugged in LAN wired connection windows 7 does not detect connection. I searched through control menu and nothing. When connected to Asus Z68 motherboard orange steady light turns on motherboard.

Also connected same wire to laptop via lan and windows 7 connects automatically. I did searched through forums before posting. Thanks.

Solution
np, my yellow link light would not come on. i forget if yours did, but as long as the card works and has power the yellow light should come on with or with out drivers

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
make sure all 8 wires in the cat5 are crimped down properly and showing head lights. can you connect the desktop to your laptop via the cat5 and have your laptop share the Internet through its wifi. this is just to test and make sure the computers nic will function in that manner. i had this same issue 2 days ago on a nforce 4 chipset. i ended up installing a pci nic as the onboard nic would connect to my laptop but not any of my cisco routers or switches. the new nic fixed the problem.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Ok all wires are crimped properly. Which "head lights" are you refering to?

When i connect laptop to desktops wifi via cat5 laptop states connected to unadentified network/ No internet access. Desktop mobo shows solid orange light with blinking yellow.

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
well its an issue with compatibility between the nic and the router. i had this issue with the cisco switch. go get another nic and try it out, all i can recommend. in 20 years tech and network support day before yesterday was the first time id ever encountered this issue and here you are.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011

Sorry for delay in response. I've been feeding Ethernet wire through my attics 3 ft crawl space. Huge PIA! Anyways that's funny I have cisco router, but that can't be it because I connected PC via Ethernet directly to modem also and same thing, blinking yellow with solid orange, but no connection on windows 7.

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
i had a desktop from a room mate that worked through a passive hub, a linksys switch and directly to a netgear modem but would NOT work to my 2950 switch. i had to replace the nic to make it connect. every other computer in the house was able to connect through the same cable and config that this desktop was unable to connect through.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
Yea something was screwy with the drivers. There was no update. But I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers from mobo disk and LAN works now. Might have been this cheap wireless adapter I installed a while back that messed something up. Thanks again ncc.