choosing my first digicam: canon a520 vs olympus c-60

Tags:
Last response: in Digital Camera
September 28, 2005 6:18:29 PM

I'm about to buy my first digital camera, and could use some advice
from you good people.

I'm looking for an entry-level compact camera with good+ image
quality, reasonable low light performance, decent shuter lag, and
manual controls. Pixel count is not a priority, as most of my prints
will be in small size (6x4). Still, I suppose I may want to order a
larger print now and then, at about A4 size or something like that. If
it has any relevance, I shoot mostly black and white.

I've been reading reviews and visiting shops, looking for several
models, and the Canon A520 seems to be a favorite everywhere. I do
enjoy it a lot, but I'm a bit concerned about its operation speed
(shutter lag and shot-to-shot time).

For the same price as the A520, I can get the older Olympus C-60,
whichI found a joy to handle, but I haven't had the chance to
actually take some shots with it. And since I've read mixed reviews
about this one, both very exciting and so-and-so, I'd really like to
know your opinions about this model. Would do you compare it to the
A520, regarding image quality and performance speed?

Any other camera that you'd recommend over these two, on the same
price range?

Thank you so much,
Pedro
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 9:23:22 PM

herr_pedro_k@hotmail.com wrote:
> I'm about to buy my first digital camera, and could use some advice
> from you good people.
>
> I'm looking for an entry-level compact camera with good+ image
> quality, reasonable low light performance, decent shuter lag, and
> manual controls. Pixel count is not a priority, as most of my prints
> will be in small size (6x4). Still, I suppose I may want to order a
> larger print now and then, at about A4 size or something like that. If
> it has any relevance, I shoot mostly black and white.
>
> I've been reading reviews and visiting shops, looking for several
> models, and the Canon A520 seems to be a favorite everywhere. I do
> enjoy it a lot, but I'm a bit concerned about its operation speed
> (shutter lag and shot-to-shot time).
>
> For the same price as the A520, I can get the older Olympus C-60,
> whichI found a joy to handle, but I haven't had the chance to
> actually take some shots with it. And since I've read mixed reviews
> about this one, both very exciting and so-and-so, I'd really like to
> know your opinions about this model. Would do you compare it to the
> A520, regarding image quality and performance speed?
>
> Any other camera that you'd recommend over these two, on the same
> price range?
>
> Thank you so much,
> Pedro

Padro,
I've done exhaustive research on the Canon A520 over the last couple of
months (I have some money coming in around Oct 1, and I'm buying an
entry level digital with some of it). I think I know it as well as one
can without having used it. The Olympus C60 I don't know much about.
I researched several camersas comparable to the A520, and selected the
A520 for several reasons. The main one being overall picture quality,
which is my biggest concern with a camera in this price range.
Funny, when I started, I didn't want most of the manual features on the
Canon because I used to be a "serious amateur" 35mm photographer.
Eventually I got tired of lenses and filters and tripods and carrying 2
large camera bags all over the place. Got a Minolta P&S and used that,
but only rarely, when I wanted a few pics. But in researching for this
digital camera, the bug has bitten me again, and I'm really excited
that with the Canon I can use it as a P&S when I just want some snaps,
or like a more serious camera when I have the time and the patience.
I did check out the stats on the C60 when I read your message. They
look pretty good, but not quite as verstatile as the A520. I also
compared images between the two. I went to the Imaging Resource site
http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
where you can select two cameras and put sample images side-by-side and
compare them. They have about 10 or 12 duplicate images you can look
at. I looked at images from both these cameras briefly, and like the
A520 a little better. The colors seemed a little more accurate, the
Olympus' seemed a bit washed out.
The other camera I'm still considering is the Pentax Optio 60 (NOT the
S60). But I still can't find a full review of it or any images to
compare. I'll keep checking until the money comes in. If I can make a
good comparison between those two, I'll decide then. If I can't get the
info to make a good comparison, I'll buy the A520.
As far as the weaknesses of the A520, some reviewers felt the cycle
time between shots was slow, especially with flash. The flash is a
little on the weak side. And images taken at ISO 400 are noisy. Those
are not deal breakers for me, but they might be for you. O yes, the
video mode is poor on the Canon.
I checked out reveiws from both professionals and from amateurs like
myself, to get all points of view.
If you spend a couple of hours on the net making comparisons and
reading reviews, you can make a pretty educated decision. When I bought
my cameras years ago, I didn't have anywhere near the amount of
information that I have on the A520 prior to purchase. The internet
sure gives a lot of data to consider in making a major purchase! I love
it!
Hope this helps in your world.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 7:14:14 PM

Thanks for your reply. Out of curiosity, have you checked Fuji E550?
It's selling for just a few more bucks than the A520 around here, and
it has rave reviews everywhere. I'm excluding it because of it's
limited low light performance, don't now if that's an issue to you also.
!