New Build Advice/Assistance Please

Caeric

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
My first "what I would like to have" build ended up at $2200, which is much more than I can spend right now. After quite a bit of cutting back, I came up with something more reasonable, the parts for which are posted after the introductory comments as suggested in this forum.

Approximate Purchase Date: October 2012

Budget Range: $1600 (approximately)

System Usage: gaming, movies, school

Are you buying a monitor: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1200 (will purchase an additional 24" monitor in the future)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Currently looking at AVADirect (<-link) due to reviews and warranty

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, no other preference

Overclocking: Yes (mild CPU)

SLI or Crossfire: No

Additional Comments: games are mostly MMOs, movies are mostly streaming

Why Are You Upgrading: Currently running an old AMD dual core and GTX260

My Current Selection of Parts:

INTEL Core™ i5-3570K
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD5H
CRUCIAL 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ballistix Tactical PC3-12800 DDR3 1600MHz CL8 (8-8-8-24) 1.5V
GIGABYTE GV-R795WF3-3GD, Radeon™ HD 7950
SAMSUNG 128GB 830 Series SSD
WESTERN DIGITAL 1TB WD Caviar® Blue SATA 6 Gb/s, 7200 RPM, 64MB cache
SONY AD-7280S Black 24x DVD±R/RW Dual-Layer Burner
ANTEC Eleven Hundred Black Mid-Tower Case
CASE FAN LED Fans Maximum Package, Blue (Don't care about the blue, but wanted good airflow)
CUSTOM WIRING Standard Wiring with Precision Cable Routing and Tie-Down
SEASONIC SSR-650RM G Series 650W Power Supply, 80 PLUS® Gold, 24-pin ATX12V EPS12V, 4x 8/6-pin PCIe, Retail
MICROSOFT Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Edition w/ SP1, OEM
GAMING PC Silver Warranty Package (3 Year Limited Parts, 3 Year Labor Warranty)

Which comes to $1721.22 (including shipping) (Over budget by about $120)

Two main questions:

1) Are there any obvious problems with this build? Any hardware that I should change out?

2) Is there any place that I could or should cut back to reduce the cost while maintaining performance?

Thank you for any advice you can provide!

obsama1

Distinguished
Don't get that warranty. All the parts come with individual warranties. If you sign up for Amazon Mom, you'll get free 1 year Prime membership, and you can get all these parts a good price, and Amazon will give you free 2 day shipping.

Caeric

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
I thought about homebuilding it (I did my current one), but after reading about some of the nightmares people have gone through with getting motherboards with bad cpu sockets and neither the manufacturer nor the business taking any responsibility and them being stuck with it, I decided I would go this safer route. Also, it has been many years since my last one, and I am not as familiar with everything as I used to be.

That said, I am able to get it about $300 cheaper via merchants through pcpartpicker. I just have to determine whether that difference is worth knowing that it will come to me with all parts working and properly configured vs. the possibility of bad parts and going through a returns cost and time nightmare.

The parts themselves are good though? No obvious problems?